Black QBs in the NFL

Pie

Guru
Lol, yes, I assumed an exclamation of sarcasm wouldn't be needed on these boards. WA33 probably visited a couple of DWF sites today and was bombarded by plenty of equally asinine statements made by people who were actually serious. My apologies! :icon_lol:

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I think Pie was missing the smiley or the <sarcasm> tags. Pretty sure he's joking. Tebow was criticized no matter what he did, we all remember that.

Well if that's the case then I apologize. Anyway with the couple of trolls lurking this board who change their usernames almost weekly I tend to get a bit paranoid. :frusty:

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
29 year N.F.L. scout really disagrees with ESPN's Todd McShay when it comes to U.C.L.A. sophomore Brett Hundley.

Pretty interesting

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
29 year N.F.L. scout really disagrees with ESPN's Todd McShay when it comes to U.C.L.A. sophomore Brett Hundley.

Pretty interesting

I loathe McShay. Probably number one on my hitlist of ESPN tools I want to knock out. He is an idiot and does not know what he is talking about. The lack of credibility all these self professed draft "experts" have is astounding. In a normal society none of these morons would have jobs.

That said Hundley is just another hyped up black quarterback to go with the rest of them. Got totally exposed by better defensive teams just like Geno Smiff did last year. The mainstream media will gloss over this as they do their best to pimp the next black jesus of the QB position.

davidholly

Mentor
McShay considers AJ McCarron third tier while Bridgewater is the top QB in the country. Their statlines against Kentucky...
bCZBnPE.png

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

Pretty interesting
Of course, this same writer later on in the article says that Notre Dame is having a down year because Rees sucks and Ghoulson is supa-dupa. Although I do think that Rees is very average, especially for a white QB, Ghoulson is just a typical gimmick black quarterback.

davidholly

Mentor
Terrelle Pryor has thrown 1 touchdown and 7 interceptions in his last 3 starts. He's only ran for 1 touchdown so he doesn't even have that to fall back on.

His combined touchdown total for this entire season is 6, Nick Foles had 7 in one game. Nick Foles has also run for as many touchdowns as Pryor this year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Terrelle Pryor has thrown 1 touchdown and 7 interceptions in his last 3 starts. He's only ran for 1 touchdown so he doesn't even have that to fall back on.

His combined touchdown total for this entire season is 6, Nick Foles had 7 in one game. Nick Foles has also run for as many touchdowns as Pryor this year.

Yeah, but it was a 93 yarder. Dat upside!

davidholly

Mentor
Yeah, but it was a 93 yarder. Dat upside!

The sad thing is that even Pryor admitted that it was a once in a lifetime run. He said in the post game press conference that he's never seen a hole that wide open. Funny, if you listen to DWFs it's something that happens all the time.

Pie

Guru
The way analysts talk, you would think the only way to possess "upside" in the NFL is to have somehow managed to come out of 10 years of playing football from middle school through college without having had picked up the basic fundamentals and skills needed to perform your job. That's not so much upside as it is a track record of being incapable of improvement.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer

It'd be nice if Matt McGloin took over as the starter sometime soon. I think even the odious Raiders know Pryor is not a quarterback they can ever build around. I think they'll draft one early next year. Pryor will probably be converted to a receiver or wildcat QB. He has undeniable skill as a runner, just doesn't have the intelligence or skill to quarterback in the NFL.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
The way analysts talk, you would think the only way to possess "upside" in the NFL is to have somehow managed to come out of 10 years of playing football from middle school through college without having had picked up the basic fundamentals and skills needed to perform your job. That's not so much upside as it is a track record of being incapable of improvement.

This is the philosophy some teams follow in the draft. That's one reason they fail.

They think a black player with poor production and good measurables has upside. A white player with good production and good measurables is maxed out.

If a player didn't produce in college he probably won't produce in the pros.

Wes Woodhead

Mentor

Yes the word upside is one of the bailouts that Ive never EVER heard applied to a white man.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Yes the word upside is one of the bailouts that Ive never EVER heard applied to a white man.

Me neither. Not even for players such as Andrew Luck and Luke Kuechly, who have sky high upsides.

The other thing about black QB's not mentioned is the small point that "they're black" - meaning at any given moment, they'll do the most idiotic thing known to mankind. It could be on the field or off the field. It's always just a matter of time with them. No one knows how the idiocy will manifest itself, just that it will.

joegoofinoff...

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer

Upside is used here in NC to describe black high school football players when White Players have beat them in every single stat and measureable and of course GPA.

I call it hope so.

Let's give $100,000/200,000.00 offers based on Jaquizz getting his 4.9, 40 to a 4.6 and hope his 2.5 GPA in high school will get him through Duke University...... Right. Meanwhile the white player 4.5 speed and a 4.1 GPA ends up at D-1/FCS or D-II. etc...

I used to think that white players that beat blacks in every single measureable and stat and GPA had a chance, but now I'm not so sure with coaches using a "HOPE SO" or "UPSIDE" mentality, theirs almost no way to win.

PHillisFan

Master
The gremlin is up tonight. I would love to see jared allen make him uncomfortable. Hopefully ponder has continued success.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
The gremlin is up tonight. I would love to see jared allen make him uncomfortable. Hopefully ponder has continued success.

Should be a decent game. The last few Thursday's have been horrible. The Vikings are still a competitive team when they have a decent guy leading them at QB. Hoping Vikings O-line can do enough to help Ponder succeed! Also Robison had 2 sacks last week he needs to build on that.

scroat

Guru
Buffalo fans turning on EJ already. From an article.

"Here are Manuel’s real numbers, the pass statistics he assembled in the first 55 minutes and change, when it actually mattered: 11-of-25 passing for 79 yards. There was a pretty stiff wind at Heinz Field, but it’s pathetic to go nearly a full game averaging barely 3 yards a throw."

http://www.buffalonews.com/columns/...-tight-leash-takes-big-step-backward-20131110

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Very true. Its my opinion that the almighty 40 is the main tool used to build, and repair the brainwashing that is American football. They use that forty time anyway they need to. In all actuality what could be more useless in gauging football talent than running 40 yards in track shoes with no pads on?

Like dwid always says, many times white players simply have their times slowed down, and blacks have theirs sped up. The 40 is a huge problem, and I hate it with a vengeance. If a black guy runs a fast 40 they will bring up that fast time for a decade. Every time he drops a pass, blows a coverage, gets a stupid penalty, muffs a punt, or fumbles the commentator will remind us that he ran a 4.3 forty.

If a white guy runs a fast forty its ALWAYS discredited, or ignored. Ive never once heard mention of a white player being "blazing fast", or "the fastest guy on the field". They refer to our guys only as "sneaky fast", or "deceptive speed".

Matt Jones is a great example. The guy was the fastest guy on the field anytime he was out there, yet they tried to make him a tight end. He ran something ridiculous like a 4.38 or something in the almighty 40, but they never mentioned it. Their are dozens of other examples.

I think the 40 times are used to diminish white players.

If a black runs a poor 40 it's ignored. If a white runs a poor 40 it's emphasized.

Conversely, if a black runs a good 40 it's all you hear about but if a white runs a good 40 it's ignored or the times are changed.

Anyone who doesn't believe this read some pre-draft scouting reports. You'll see that it's true and that there's an anti-white bias.