Black and white stereotypes in sprinting

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Can you help us to find it? I can't locate the article. Thanks.Edited by: white lightning

Flash

just realised i've only manage to access this sort of things because i'm logged in via my institution. Sorry guys, i can email you it if you want, theres loads of articals and studies on this. Or i can show how to access it using my credentials but you would have to promise not to mess any of my sh*t up with it!!!!!!! The title of the one i was trying to give you link to because it was the newest was called False start?
Annoying that all this information isnt available to everyone, if anyone is interested just PM me or i could try copy and pasting extracts on here. It wont be anything ground breaking for you guys but think its it across nicely and actually is in the journal of black studies.

Flash

they made a flow chart style thing at end about stereotypical influenes on white sprint performance, went like this

Socio-economic advantage
Wider socialel opportunities elsewhere
Under-representation in sprints
Exposure to black athletic media images
Negative physiological stereotypes
Lack of role models
Athlete/coach belief in physical inferiority
Stereotype threat
Athlete/coach self-fullfilled prophecies
Unconfident and anxious white sprinters
Stagnation of white performance standards

Saw another artical talk about the myth of black physcial superiority and spoke about how jesse owens had the calf structure more seen in caucasian athletes.

StarWars

Mentor
Wow good stuff. Throw in the fact that the countries that produce black sprinters (US, Jamaica, GB, etc.) also use some form of PEDs and that nails it on the head.

albinosprint

Mentor
carl lewis also had a calf structure like caucasians

StarWars

Mentor
Most African Americans have 30% white admixture so they most likey were a lot whiter than you think. Maurice Greene looks like he could be as white as any mulatto with the amount of admixture he has.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Owens clearly had significant White ancestry. He looked pretty close to a Mulatto. People forget how Black a full blooded African is. Picture Bolt, Bailey or Ben Johnson.

Watcher

What's the name of the article, study and those who ran it?

The link you gave is to a PDF file, could you save it on your computer and just upload it to a file sharing site?
sendspace.com, megaupload.com, zshare.net, are all free and simple.

albinosprint

Mentor
could you cut & paste it?

Flash

sorry i havent psoted recently guys, been stressful times lately and been lazy with a lot of things. Heres a link (hope it works!). These sort of journal articals are best for seing the situation clearly as they have to be written with no bias. Hence you might notice that black athletes also may suffer some negative stereotyping although it is clear the stereotyping white male sprinters have to deal with demonstrates a much more negative effect.

It will be interesting to find an artical about american coaches as i'm sure the effect of racial sterotyping will be FAR greater than what is seen in the UK.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zdk4i0

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is another short article discussing the subject. At the bottom, the guy who makes the second comment nails it. The combonation of stereotypes, racial slotting, and hitting puberty at a later age/overall physical development comes later or, have been the keys to holding back many white sprinters. They need more time to develop and they need to be encouraged that they can compete! Here is the link.

http://racehist.blogspot.com/2010/03/why-have-white-sprinters-stagnated.htmlEdited by: white lightning

freedom1

Mentor
Yes, even if blacks are faster for physical/biological/evolutionary reasons. Why did white development stop way back in 1980? The 100 meters event is proof there are non physical factors in play.

FastEuro

There are factors....long limb ratio in relation to torso length is a big advantage in sprinting, and blacks overall have this type of body structure (long arms, legs, and short trunk with narrow hips) no matter whether they are 6'5" or 5"5. Many whites have this build as well, but it is not as common. Lemaitre has this type of build. Many Nordic types also have this build.The overall speed factor may be that whites physically develop later than blacks, therefore not recruited out of high school as blacks who already are at almost peak level..... and many whites give up too early.<div>
</div><div>I got fast my senior year in high school. Before that, I was not fast at all. I remember during the physcial fitness tests in school, and clearly remember my 50 yard dash time as a freshmen being 6.8 and my senior year I ran a 5.5 (2nd fastest in the school of almost 1500). I even got much faster in college where I ran a personal best of 10.6 in the 100 meters:) ...Black children have been proven to develop early than whites. Its all timing. Never give up.</div>
Edited by: FastEuro