Black 2nd string QBs

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I have been reading about the training camps of various NFL teams, and have come across a number of pieces about black second-string quarterbacks. So I decided to take a look at just how many affaletes there are on NFL squads around the NFL.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have Charlie Batch and Omar Jacobs. Here is a piece about Jacob's performance in camp:
Rookie Omar Jacobs fared a little worse off during these drills. The arm strength to make all throws is most definitely there, but he lacked touch on his shorter passes and made the work of Willie Parker and players out of the backfield a bit more challenging. He'll take some grooming, but Jacobs certainly demonstrated the physical tools necessary to play at this level. I'll be curious to watch him in Thursday's workouts.

The Buffalo Bills have Tory Woodbury.

The Miami Dolphins have three black quarterbacks on the roster: Daunter Culpepper, Cleo Lemon (wasn't he a Harlem Globetrotter), and yes, Marcus Vick. The only white quarterback on the roster is Joey Harrington.

The Washington Redskins have Jason Campbell as the heir apparent to Mark Brunell.

The Cinncinnati Bengals have Anthony Wright and Reggie McNeal. McNeal played wide receiver but is listed as a quarterback?

The Minnesota Vikings drafted Tarvaris Jackson to be Brad Johnson's backup. What's wrong with Mike McMahon?

The Indianapolis Colts have Shaun King (???) as a backup for Peyton Manning.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are coal-black at the quarterback position, having two black quarterbacks as backups for Byron Leftwich: David Garrard and Quinn Gray.

Of course, the Titans have the team's savior waiting in the wings for when Billy Volek has his first bad game - Vince Young.

Three of four quarterbacks on the Falcons roster are black: Mike Vick, and D.J. Shockley and Bryan Randall as backups after Matt Schaub. No wonder the Falcons don't wont to trade Schaub.

The Saints apparently didn't learn enough by letting Aaron Brooks run the team into the ground for years, so they added Adrian McPherson to the roster as a potential backup to Drew Brees.

Rohan Davey is still around, too. He is a backup for the Arizona Cardinals, although Leinart is obviously the future of that team.

The Seattle Seahawks have Seneca Wallace and the Arab Gibran Hamdan as Hasselbeck's backups.

I find it interesting that there are so many mediocre black quarterbacks on rosters around the NFL, but you'd be hard pressed to find more than half a dozen white backup running backs.

And how many people tell you Matt Jones had to convert to wide receiver if he wanted to play in the NFL? You can't say he wasn't a better quarterback than 90% of the scrubs listed here.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I heard a radio show the other day and the hosts were talking about Matt Schaub. They said if Vick couldn't get it together soon, they should put him in as the starter. They pointed out Vick's bad numbers over his career and how the honeymoon should be over. If he doesn't produce early, yank him and let Schaub start. They pointed out that the best passing game of the year for the Falcons was when Schaub started. It was nice to here them admit Vick is a wash.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Isee the plethora of backup black QBs as another strategic move by the Caste System to blacken the hallowed quarterback position. Most of the ballyhooed, high draft pick black QBs have been flops, so now there is a parallel move to go in through the back door by having teams have one or both of their backups be black, which means quite a few will become starters at some point, at least for a few games,by virtue of the white incumbent being injured (or being yanked after a couple of subpar games).

The only other strongly white position left other than kicker -- center -- will be noticeably blacker this season. Last year there was only one black starting center, which caused cries of "racism" to emit from the fevered jowls of the white media, but quite a few teams have drafted black centers over the past couple seasons, and from this point on we'll see an increasing number of blacks starting there in the NFL.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
I see the plethora of backup black QBs as another strategic move by the Caste System to blacken the hallowed quarterback position.

I agree, Don.

Where does the Caste System begin? College? High school? Pop Warner?

These guys are coming into the NFL as quarterbacks because they played the position in college.

They play the position in college because they play it in high school.

They play it in Pop Warner and high school because their coaches see all the media adulation and praise lavished on even mediocre black quarterbacks.

And the cycle continues.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
The only issues i have with black QB's are many of them are given huge oppurtunities, yet you cant say the same for white wide recievers. That and the fact that many of them dont even look like they care when they're out there on the field. They're just looking to collect a paycheck (ala Mike Vick and Aaron Brooks) However, with that said I do think Vince Young will be one hell of a quarterback. He has the leadership qualities that very few black QB's possess, and he's a proven winner. I hope Billy Volek does well, and possibly becomes Tennessee's QB of the future. The only problem is, is that he's not all that young and therefore will have a long way to go in proving himself

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Lance Alworth said:
I hope Billy Volek does well, and possibly becomes Tennessee's QB of the future.

Dude... Volek will be lucky to last til the end of this season. It doesn't matter how well he performs, VINCE YOUNG is the QB of the future in Tennessee. Refer to the first line of your post:

Lance Alworth said:
The only issues i have with black QB's are many of them are given huge oppurtunities..

Volek will have to be traded to start somewhere, or he is going to end up like Matt Schaub, a better QB than the team's starter but still second string backup. That is the Caste System way.

I appreciate the fact you mentioned that white wide receivers do not receive those same huge opportunities as black quarterbacks, but let's not forget to mention white RUNNING BACKS, who get ZERO opportunities.

I believe Matt Jones at quarterback would have been on par with some of the starting quarterbacks in the NFL, but now I believe he will strike a more significant blow against the caste system as a bona fide star at wide receiver. We have plenty of white star quarterbacks, but no 'stars' at wide receiver.

dirk41

well I was looking at the rosters and I figured there will be six black qb's starting and 12 back-ups when the season starts.SO out of probably the 95-96 qb's in the league 18 will be black and one asian/pacific(Tuiasosopo).SO basically 81% will be white.Not terrible considering for years people keep hyping the "dual-threat athlete" as the future of football.In 1998 you had 6 black starting qbs(moon,Cunningham,Banks,Batch,mcnair,Stewart) along with occasional starters like Peete,Blake.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
dirk41:

I agree, the percentage of black quarterbacks overall isn't that high. But:

What is the percentage of white running backs?

What is the percentage of white corner backs?

What is the percentage of white wide receivers?

What is the percentage of white college quarterbacks who are not drafted or signed by an NFL team so they can keep black projects like Marcus Vick and Rohan Davey on the roster?

Why is Eric Crouch not a backup somewhere, when you have guys like Reggie McNeal, Quinn Gray, Rohan Davey, and Adrian McPherson on the roster?

Why is Matt Jones the starting WR for the Jaguars instead of being groomed like Vince Young, Marcus Vick, or Steve McNair back in the day?

I am not lamenting the takeover of the backup quarterback position by blacks so much as I am pointing out the double standard that relegates men like Crouch and Jones to safety and wide receiver when they are / were better quarterbacks than the black backups currently on NFL rosters.

I am pointing out how much time black quarterbacks will bounce around the league, be given time to develop to learn the 'pro game,' but guys like David Kircus, Marc Boerigter, Jesse Lumsden, Brock Forsey, and many others, can't even get a one-year contract offer from an NFL team.

The number of white players at skill positions, outside of quarterback, are so statistically damning that it is amazing that anyone believes its possible for it to happen without some type of caste system in place. If the black/white numbers were reversed, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would have already filed a lawsuit and called for a boycott of the NFL.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
dirk41 said:
well I was looking at the rosters and I figured there will be six black qb's starting and 12 back-ups when the season starts.SO out of probably the 95-96 qb's in the league 18 will be black and one asian/pacific(Tuiasosopo).SO basically 81% will be white.Not terrible considering for years people keep hyping the "dual-threat athlete" as the future of football.In 1998 you had 6 black starting qbs(moon,Cunningham,Banks,Batch,mcnair,Stewart) along with occasional starters like Peete,Blake.

I count 26 black QBs currently on rosters (among the top three orfourat the position). That's close to one per team. Some will be cut but a lot won't. As black backups become more commonplace,moreblack starters will eventually follow.

Thisisn'tlike white players who aresigned as free agentsto play "black" positions during training camp and are almost all subsequently cut; this is the"back door" strategy of blackening the QB position now that the "front door" method hasbeen faltering for a number of years now.

Rise

Guru
Yea ive been noticing this trend the last couple years as well and quite frankly its scary. But who knows, this maybe what it will take for the average white fans to wake up and finally realize what is occurring.

Jofreidr_1488

These guys truly are some awful back-ups. Shaun King?

Why not let some new black QB like Brad Banks in over King?!?!??! This is truly a sad situation.

Triad

Mentor
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Of all the problems the New Orleans Saints have faced in the past year, no one could have imagined their woes would be compounded by a reckless driving mascot.

"T-Rac," the Tennessee Titans' raccoon-like mascot, hit Saints quarterback Adrian McPherson with a golf cart as he walked onto the field for the second half Saturday night, bruising him and knocking him out of New Orleans' 19-16 victory in the teams' exhibition opener.

"He got run over by the mascot," coach Sean Payton said. "I don't know what to do. We've got to play the Titans. The mascots and all the other stuff going on, it's crazy."
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Here is a passage from an article about tonight's Bengals-Redskins game:

...watching newcomer Anthony Wright make a lackluster debut.

The Bengals failed to get a first down on their first three series behind Wright, a free-agent quarterback signed less than four months ago. He was sacked twice and looked indecisive in those three drives.

He finally got going with the help of a flea-flicker -- a trick play seldom used in preseason -- that surprised the Redskins. T.J. Houshmandzadeh was unguarded downfield for a 52-yard catch, setting up Wright's 12-yard touchdown pass to Chris Henry.

"I think overall it was a good start, for the first time," Wright said. "There's a lot of complications to this offense."

Wright was 9-of-16 in the first half for 101 yards, more than half of them on the one trick play. Doug Johnson went 11-of-14 for 128 yards with a touchdown and three sacks in the second half, when both teams played their backups.

But Wright will be the starting quarterback if Palmer isn't ready by the season opener. Even if Johnson outperforms him in every game during the pre-season, Wright will be Palmer's back up.

I wonder, if neither of the two is suitable, is Quincy Carter available?

Jofreidr_1488 said:
These guys truly are some awful back-ups. Shaun King?

Why not let some new black QB like Brad Banks in over King?!?!??! This is truly a sad situation.

Wait are you talking about the same Brad Banks who's currently the third string for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers?

I think some NFL GM's head might explode at the thought bringing in a CFL starting QB to camp. Calling up a third string CFLer even if it's one of the chosen affletes might cause the collapse of human civilization.

On the other hand... some NFL backups really are Awful. Maybe they aren't training them properly in college any more?

G

White Shogun said:
I have been reading about the training camps of various NFL teams, and have come across a number of pieces about black second-string quarterbacks. So I decided to take a look at just how many affaletes there are on NFL squads around the NFL.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have Charlie Batch and Omar Jacobs. Here is a piece about Jacob's performance in camp:
Rookie Omar Jacobs fared a little worse off during these drills. The arm strength to make all throws is most definitely there, but he lacked touch on his shorter passes and made the work of Willie Parker and players out of the backfield a bit more challenging. He'll take some grooming, but Jacobs certainly demonstrated the physical tools necessary to play at this level. I'll be curious to watch him in Thursday's workouts.

The Buffalo Bills have Tory Woodbury.

The Miami Dolphins have three black quarterbacks on the roster: Daunter Culpepper, Cleo Lemon (wasn't he a Harlem Globetrotter), and yes, Marcus Vick. The only white quarterback on the roster is Joey Harrington.

The Washington Redskins have Jason Campbell as the heir apparent to Mark Brunell.

The Cinncinnati Bengals have Anthony Wright and Reggie McNeal. McNeal played wide receiver but is listed as a quarterback?

The Minnesota Vikings drafted Tarvaris Jackson to be Brad Johnson's backup. What's wrong with Mike McMahon?

The Indianapolis Colts have Shaun King (???) as a backup for Peyton Manning.

The Jacksonville Jaguars are coal-black at the quarterback position, having two black quarterbacks as backups for Byron Leftwich: David Garrard and Quinn Gray.

Of course, the Titans have the team's savior waiting in the wings for when Billy Volek has his first bad game - Vince Young.

Three of four quarterbacks on the Falcons roster are black: Mike Vick, and D.J. Shockley and Bryan Randall as backups after Matt Schaub. No wonder the Falcons don't wont to trade Schaub.

The Saints apparently didn't learn enough by letting Aaron Brooks run the team into the ground for years, so they added Adrian McPherson to the roster as a potential backup to Drew Brees.

Rohan Davey is still around, too. He is a backup for the Arizona Cardinals, although Leinart is obviously the future of that team.

The Seattle Seahawks have Seneca Wallace and the Arab Gibran Hamdan as Hasselbeck's backups.

I find it interesting that there are so many mediocre black quarterbacks on rosters around the NFL, but you'd be hard pressed to find more than half a dozen white backup running backs.

And how many people tell you Matt Jones had to convert to wide receiver if he wanted to play in the NFL? You can't say he wasn't a better quarterback than 90% of the scrubs listed here.

Could you name some white quarterbacks to take the positions of those black backups

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
DaBears4183 said:
Could you name some white quarterbacks to take the positions of those black backups

How about Kerry Collins? Hasn't been signed even as a backup. Bet he looks better to the Raiders every day.

How about Tim Couch? Played with a lousy expansion team and never got another opportunity. A far different story than the five or six teams Akili Smith was allowed to fail on.

How about Cade McNown. Run out of Chicago because his teammates didn't like him and quickly disappeared from the NFL despite doing pretty well for a bad Bears team.

Jason White -- what a career he had at Oklahoma but is unworthy of being even a third stringer for an NFL team?

Here's some quarterbacks that went undrafted in '06who don't make fans cross their fingers when they throw the ball -- Justin Holland, Drew Olson, Joel Klatt, Brett Basanez, Travis Lulay, Erik Meyer, Dustin Almon. These are off the top of my head; there are plenty of others.

G

Don Wassall said:
DaBears4183 said:

How about Kerry Collins? Hasn't been signed even as a backup. Bet he looks better to the Raiders every day.

How about Tim Couch? Played with a lousy expansion team and never got another opportunity. A far different story than the five or six teams Akili Smith was allowed to fail on.

How about Cade McNown. Run out of Chicago because his teammates didn't like him and quickly disappeared from the NFL despite doing pretty well for a bad Bears team.

Jason White -- what a career he had at Oklahoma but is unworthy of being even a third stringer for an NFL team?

Here's some quarterbacks that went undrafted in '06who don't make fans cross their fingers when they throw the ball -- Justin Holland, Drew Olson, Joel Klatt, Brett Basanez, Travis Lulay, Erik Meyer, Dustin Almon. These are off the top of my head; there are plenty of others.

Cade McNown, you cant be serious. hahahaha They guy is a failure, he hasnt produced anything his whole nfl career. Tim couch hasnt produced anything either. Now about Kerry Collins, since he has had moderate success in the nfl, hes gonna want some cash, and teams just dont have the money to pay a backup like that. Some people like jason white are made to be good college QB's not NFL ones

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
But quarterbacks like Rohan Davey, Shaun King, Cleo Lemon and Anthony Wright are great talents just waiting for that breakthrough opportunity that first round draft picks like Couch and McNown don't deserve.

G

Don Wassall said:
But quarterbacks like Rohan Davey, Shaun King, Cleo Lemon and Anthony Wright are great talents just waiting for that breakthrough opportunity that first round draft picks like Couch and McNown don't deserve.

what does the first round have to do with anything? I guess you want ryan leaf to come back huh?Only thing that proves is that a team wasted a good pick on those bums. The black qb's you mentioned are bums too, just like the majority of backup QB's no matter what race they are

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
You asked for a list of white quarterbacks. When I gave you one, you dismisseda fewas bums and didn't say anything about the rest (you've probably never head of them). Now you say being drafted in the first round doesn't matter when it comes to getting an opportunity. Certainly it's true thatwhite first round picks don't get the same opportunities as Akili Smith.

I thought maybe you would offer some intelligent debate. But "ha, ha, ha, your argument's ridiculous" is about the best you can do. You have to be a lot sharper than that to post here as an opponent. Bye, bye.

Gary

Mentor
Good call Don-I like this site because it's one place I can come and cheer for Whites in sports and hopefully encourage someone.I have grown tired of trolls who come here to stir up trouble-it's why my son Sean don't post to much anymore.Any time I read a post that don't have Whites in a postive light,I have to wonder why they are on this site.Don-your doing a good job-keep up the good work!!I really like the posts from 99% of the men here but trolls I really can't stand!

Kaptain

Master
I second that motion! That guy couldn't even entertain us with an intelligent debate. I actually don't know if there is a way to intelligently defend his position but his words had "Dummy" written all over them.

dirk41

Don Wassall said:
dirk41 said:

I count 26 black QBs currently on rosters (among the top three or four at the position).  That's close to one per team.  Some will be cut but a lot won't.  As black backups become more commonplace, more black starters will eventually follow. 

This isn't like white players who are signed as free agents to play "black" positions during training camp and are almost all subsequently cut; this is the "back door" strategy of blackening the QB position now that the "front door" method has been faltering for a number of years now. <!-- Message ''"" -->
When I came up with the number 18 I was assuming certainplayers will be cut Randall or Shockley,Davey,Smith and Robertson(Oak) etc.But you are right about how the qb position.They are always talking about the"dual threat athelete" at the qb position,my god I must have heard that term 8 million times last fall.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to know exactly how many black QBs are competing for jobs because the rosters and depth charts often go just three deep. My guess is that the further down the depth chart one goes, the higher percentage of black quarterbacks. However, the further down the depth chart one goes at RB and CB, the number of whites competing for a job remains essentially zero. There are a few more white WR, safeties, DL, LB, etc., but experience shows that they will almost all be cut in spite of their proven production and athletic measurables equal to and often better than their black counterparts.