Big George

Flint

Mentor
I just saw the new movie BigGeorge, the life story of George Foreman. Not a bad movie. Almost all black cast as would be expected about the life story of a black man. Very little “racism” is portrayed in the movie which made it palatable to me.

Also the movie focuses on Foreman’s conversion to Christianity and becoming a preacher and is handled in a positive way.

I remember most of the history in the movie, as it all happened when I followed sports closely. Foreman’s waving of the American flag during the “black power” Olympics is particularly well remembered.

The portrayals of actual people, like Howard Cosell, Muhammad Ali, Johnny Carson, are a bit off for people who remember them well. But regardless it’s an interesting look at a guy who had quite a life.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw the new movie BigGeorge, the life story of George Foreman. Not a bad movie. Almost all black cast as would be expected about the life story of a black man. Very little “racism” is portrayed in the movie which made it palatable to me.

Also the movie focuses on Foreman’s conversion to Christianity and becoming a preacher and is handled in a positive way.

I remember most of the history in the movie, as it all happened when I followed sports closely. Foreman’s waving of the American flag during the “black power” Olympics is particularly well remembered.

The portrayals of actual people, like Howard Cosell, Muhammad Ali, Johnny Carson, are a bit off for people who remember them well. But regardless it’s an interesting look at a guy who had quite a life.
Foreman celebrating his gold medal by waving a U.S. flag after his bout was a brilliant move on his part. Not saying it was contrived, just something the country greatly welcomed from a Black athlete after the antics of Carlos and Smith and other militants at the very memorable '68 Summer Games. In fact, everything about 1968 was memorable, mostly in very bad ways.

But Foreman was still seen mostly as a scowling beast for a number of years because of his merciless power in the ring before he softened his image and eventually became the easy going, always smiling star of many commercials, including his own grill line. He named all five of his sons George, hard not to at least chuckle at someone like that.

Warhawk_46

Master
That is a film on my radar as Big George has lived quite a life and professes his faith in Christ often.

Plus, his grill enables me to covertly cook some tasty meals in my dorm room…

white is right

Hall of Famer

If the movie was an unauthorized biography I could go out of my way to watch this movie but with Foreman holding creative control I expect this movie to be more a Disney piece than Raging Bull.

There are dark elements to Foreman that could make the movie be great as his temper was legendary and he did go through bankruptcy and won the title at 45 sporting a boiler but I expect this to be a typical mediocre boxing movie and at 20 Canadian apx. 14.50 US for a ticket I will pass.

Note we talked about this before but movie tickets and theatres in expensive cities have gentrified and discount theatres that were about half the price of the fancier theatres have gone under due to close to three years of slow to no sales.

This movie would have been a perfect 10 Canadian ticket...

Last edited:

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Foreman celebrating his gold medal by waving a U.S. flag after his bout was a brilliant move on his part. Not saying it was contrived, just something the country greatly welcomed from a Black athlete after the antics of Carlos and Smith and other militants at the very memorable '68 Summer Games. In fact, everything about 1968 was memorable, mostly in very bad ways.

But Foreman was still seen mostly as a scowling beast for a number of years because of his merciless power in the ring before he softened his image and eventually became the easy going, always smiling star of many commercials, including his own grill line. He named all five of his sons George, hard not to at least chuckle at someone like that.
His muffler ads were pretty endearing too, haha. But the guy hit hard in the ring, that’s for sure