BARACK O’BALLER

Bear-Arms

Mentor
April 14, 2008 -- Barack Obama is a better baller than bowler, that's for sure.

The front-runner for the Democratic presidential nomination reveals his skills on the basketball court - but little else - on HBO's "Real Sports" Tuesday night at 10.

"I watch a good basketball game, or I play in a good basketball game, it makes me feel good," Obama cordially tells host Bryant Gumbel.The one-on-one is soft as a Nerf, with Gumbel avoiding a full-court press in favor of a lay-up line.

But interrogation clearly wasn't the game plan for the 13-minute segment. To the network's credit, it again finds rare video to score points, like highlights from the 1979 Hawaii state championship game, featuring Obama and his Punahou High School team that won the title, and clips from a pickup game the candidate played last month in North Carolina.

Obama, now sporting a YMCA-caliber game, admits he was no more than the seventh or eighth man in his only varsity season, but there is some hyperbole from his former coach, Chris McLachlin.

"He would play basketball before school, he would play at lunchtime, he'd be first one at practice, last one to leave," says McLachlin, who at least doesn't claim Barry walked to practice pinned down under sniper fire.

Obama's brother-in-law, Chris Robinson, is the only one who says anything remotely useful to opportunistic race-baiters - or age-baiters, for that matter.

He says the 46-year-old Senator used to be "a black player who plays black," but now he's "a black player who plays white" to keep from getting hurt.

"I think if you're using that verbiage," Robinson says, "y'know, after 35, we all play white."

Those who do want to read between the sidelines can latch onto an Obama observation how the basketball court - or chasing superdelegates? - reveals one's character."For example, people who keep on shooting even though they have no jump shot, you can tell that there's a certain self-delusional aspect to their game, right?" he says. "That says something about who they are."

The interview took place before Obama's now legendary 37 bowling score in Pennsylvania, yet still managed to reveal some foresight about that.

"I was thinking I was going to have to tear down the (White House) bowling alley and build a basketball court," he says.

After seeing Obama try both, it's hard for any party to argue with that policy.

source

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
New York Times

February 25, 2009

After a massive Al Queda strike on the Empire State Building prompted a renewed American invasion of Afghanistan, elite troops of the Army Airborne Rangers were heard to ask as they prepared to deplane,

"Barrack got us into this mess, but his basketball ability will enable the Middle East to like us."

[/BARF]

Menelik

Mentor
GiovaniMarcon said:
New York Times

February 25, 2009

After a massive Al Queda strike on the Empire State Building prompted a renewed American invasion of Afghanistan, elite troops of the Army Airborne Rangers were heard to ask as they prepared to deplane,

"Barrack got us into this mess, but his basketball ability will enable the Middle East to like us."

[/BARF]

So we should stay the course?

Charlie

Guru
I had been under the illusion African-Americans were motivated by a strong desire to avoid injury on and off the court. How stupidly racist of me. Didn't I know 74% of all American combat deaths in Iraq are of African-Americans? That African-Americans, responding in their country's time of need, have enlisted in the military in record numbers?

One is chastened by the realization countless African-Americans ballers have consciously cut short their careers by 'playing hurt' to help the team; Kevin McHale, Dave Cowens, that brother with the Lithuanian name...

I guess warriors just can't help themselves.