B-Hop vs Maskaev?!?

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Hopkins want to fight against Maskaev because he don't like the fact that no ''pure'' american is champion..?
Do you think that Maskaev can beat this BORRING boxer?

Gary

Mentor
Hopkins is 41 and small-yes I think Oleg can beat him.Why does the "American Hope" have to be black?Why not Tye Fields,J.D Chapman,Travis Kauffman or Joe Mesi.Why do we need an American Champion?We have had enough punks,thugs and jailbirds.We need more clean cut lads from Europe!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Oleg would beat him the way he beat Rockhead, by going to the body. Hopkins has an itch that needs to be scratched. Too bad this itch will re-arrange his face though....
smiley36.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Update...
These days talk of Bernard Hopkins coming out of retirement to face Heavyweight Champion Oleg Maskaev have started a fire in the hearts of fans. It seems the one most stoking the flames these days is in fact Hopkins.

In a recent interview with Popular Boxing Scribe, Bernard Fernandez of Philly.com, Hopkins sheds more light on his feelings for coming out of retirement.

Hopkins tells Fernandez: "I talked to [HBO Sports vice president] Kery Davis. I talked to [HBO Sports pay-per-view
chief] Mark Taffet. I talked to [WBC president] Jose Sulaiman, who is very enthusiastic. They all know this is a fight people would want to see. Now it's up to Oscar [De La Hoya] and Richard [Schaefer] to strike a deal with Rappoport. I think it will get done and I'll shock the world again. I would not take any fight that I did not believe in my heart that I could win. Maskaev is big and strong, but I see things in him that can be exposed."

If Hopkins can't get Maskaev in the ring, Hopkins tells Philly.com: "I'd stay retired. I wouldn't come back for Roy Jones. I wouldn't come back for a rematch with Tarver. That's out of my system. But to be the savior of the heavyweight division, that's worth my time and effort."... Hopkins is wearing his superman suit look out....
smiley36.gif

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Bernard Hopkins said:
But to be the savior of the heavyweight division, that's worth my time and effort.".

Okay, let's say he beats Maskaev. How does this equate with being the savior of the heavyweight division?

Why isn't anybody calling out Wladimir anymore?

jcolec02

Mentor
Why isn't anybody calling out Wladimir anymore?

because there not stupid...

Bart

Hall of Famer
If a white boxer used the same rationale and made statements similarto thoseof Hopkins,he would be accused of racism.He paints a picture of America vs Russia, butin essence it is black against white. I guess he doesn't care if Marciano rests in his grave.

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/columns/story?column ist=rafael_dan&id=2630930&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab 6pos1[/url]

Hopkins also said the fight would be a way to bring a heavyweight championship back to the United States, given that all four titles are held by fighters born in the former Soviet Union -- Maskaev (who has become a U.S. citizen), Wladimir Klitschko, Nikolai Valuev and Sergei Liakhovich.

"I might as well be the final hope of the division for America," Hopkins said. "I need to save the reputation of heavyweight boxing in America so Joe Louis can rest in his grave, so Jersey Joe Walcott and Floyd Patterson can rest easy. I am the last hope for the American heavyweight, and I believe the American people would support that.

Gary

Mentor
Why do we need a black champ?I like the Eastern Europeans,shouldn't we be thankful they bring "diversity" to boxing
smiley36.gif
.Louis,Walcott and Patterson are happy to be in Heaven so they can get Jack Dempsey,Gene Tunney,Jim Jeffries and Rocky Marcaino's autograph.Let the black boys cry-the Heavyweight Class in in our hands now.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
The contradictions are so plain and in your face, I am genuninely surprised that more people do not notice.

When Rich Franklin lost to Anderson Silva in the last UFC, the message boards were all a glow with praise for Silva, happy that the UFC finally had another black champion. He added some much needed 'diversity' to the UFC.

But when white men take over boxing, it's one long lamentation about 'taking it back.' Racism hidden in the red, white and blue colors of nationalism.

Interesting that both Hasim Rahman and Bernard Hopkins are Muslims, yet both consider(ed) themselves the last great hope of America. I harbor no illusions that I am anything like Rahman or Hopkins. I have no doubt that I have more in common with Maskaev than I do either of those two. Edited by: White Shogun

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
When Rich Franklin lost to Anderson Silva in the last UFC, the message boards were all a glow with praise for Silva, happy that the UFC finally had another black champion. He added some much needed 'diversity' to the UFC.

But when white men take over boxing, it's one long lamentation about 'taking it back.' Racism hidden in the red, white and blue colors of nationalism.

Excellent point! Also, Maskaev has been an American citizen for some time, why shouldn't he be considered as the torch bearer for American heavyweights? We all know why.