Automotive Section

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Any mechanics out there? My dad gave me his 1979 El Camino as a present for my birthday. It wasnt running at the time but we have put a lot of time in it. Granted my dad isnt around much so id like some advice. We put a brand new alternator, battery, and fan in it. But now the car wont even start. Could it be a bad connection,maybe a new starter? It is a pretty car and i wish i had more money to fix it up. It was bought in Colorado so it barely has any rust, but i am getting quite frusterated with it not being reliable especially in Wisconsin winters. I am seriously considering selling it, or saving up for a new car.
smiley5.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Does it turn over? Ford's were notorious for having problems with a relay between the starter and the battery that always failed.

If it is turning over but not starting check for the smell of gas when you pump the pedal before starting, you can also try some starter fluid to kick it over. If that still doesn't help then it may be electrical, start with the plugs, wires, cap.

You can check for spark from the ignition coil by removing the center plug wire and holding it next to the engine block and looking for a visable spark, make sure you do this with your bare hands--just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! use a well insulated wrench, I've been shocked by the coil before and it's a jolt you don't forget.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thanks jaxvid i will be trying that out withink the nextfew days!

Westside

Hall of Famer
Celticdb15 a 1979 El Camino a GM product not a Ford, just FYI. I say you have an electric, short problem. Save up a little and take it to an established auto professional who has a reputation in electric repairs. Don't take it to someone who is not.

I love that car. Don't sell it.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
An update on my El Camino, it now runs! Haha anyways it deffinitely is a project car, but i will be keeping it. I just bought a 94 Probe stick shift and it's fun to drive. I plan on puttin the 'ol Camino in the garage for this Wisconsin winter and start working on it again when i have saved up money in the spirng. Here is what i would like it to look like
10097856_200872983071.JPG

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Old school Detroit steel! My first car was a 71 Dodge Dart.
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
celtic, best wishes with the resto-mod project man! My Dad did classic car restorations for years, and I've put my share of blood, sweat, and tears into a number of cars and trucks. You'll be proud of the finished product though. Keep us updated! By the way, my first ride was a 1967 F100 Ranger SWB. I still have it.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thanks guys, id love to see pictures of either of those classics!
Btw Pontiac is coming out with a 2010 version of the El Camino.(they were discontinued in '87) , personally i dont think they do the classics justice.
Pontiac-G8-El-Camino-02.jpg

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Green fire i find the new Dodge Chargers and Challengers similiar to the point i can barely tel the m apart!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
celtic, here's my 1967 F100 Ranger as photographed for my yearbook back in 1995. I'm sitting on the cab of the truck. It was made back when the steel was thick enough to support someone sitting up there.

67F100.jpg

One of my Dad's projects during that time was a 1967 GTA Mustang. It had the 330HP 390-4V and would fly. I spent many hours helping Dad restore that car. It was only about 1/4 of the way through the restoration at this point. I'm working on a neighbor's mini-bike in the foreground. Yeah, I was wearing an LSU hat, even though I was an Ole Miss fan at the time. This was 7 years before I completely awoke to the Caste System and quit being a team fan.

67GTA.jpg

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Last edited:

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Thats one sharp truck and im sure theMustang looks even better if it was only 1/4 done. Did your dad keep it the same color?Thanks for the pics, theygive me motivation to finish my classic! As far as the LSU cap I'll give you a pass as will most posters on this board.
smiley2.gif

Cmon any other classic car\grease monkeys on this board???

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks celtic! The Mustang was painted Clearwater Aqua, the original color. Its pretty much the same hue as in this photo, except that in this pic it was really dirty and had no clear on it. When Dad bought it, it was in primer and all the small parts were in boxes. Dad repainted it again after this pic was taken and laid a nice clear coat finish on it. The interior matched and it was really nice. I sure do miss the variety of interior colors in cars! Those GTAs had stainless inserts in the doors, dash, and consoles. I did a lot of the interior work, especially polishing chrome and re-installing everything. The wheels were 68 GT styled steel units.

As for my truck, I actually got it for free! Dad had a Street Boss 302 built and we put it in the truck, mating it to the original 3 speed on the column transmission. Nothing in the community could catch it. The words in the stripes say "Lightning" as those modified F-150s were first made around the same time as I got that truck. It was a real showpiece and Dad and I both were proud of it. The clear coat was so nice it was like looking at your reflection in the mirror. Now its painted solid dark green metallic, similar to the main color in the pic. It now has a 1973 351-Cleveland 2 bolt main block with 1970 4V Cleveland heads (the big ones) with port plates installed. They help out the low end a bit, as those big 4V heads were really made for 40MPH+. It has a very mild cam and sounds tame compared to the Street Boss 302, but it has more torque and is faster.
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
All,

Since the members of this great forum seem to largely comprise a gathering of real white men from America and Europe, I was curious as to how many of you are interested in working on cars? If so, what kind of repairs have you done? What kind of cars do you have? What makes and models do you like best? What is your “dream car?” What was your first car?

Having grown up with a father, two grandfathers, and multiple uncles and male cousins who were famous for never needing to take any car to an actual mechanic for repairs, much of my adolescence involved working on my parent’s cars/trucks and the large dump trucks utilized for my grandfather’s business.

Today, in addition to my career in civil engineering and running my small agricultural business, I routinely do side work for people in my personal garage. It’s mostly easier, “routine maintenance” jobs like oil changes, brakes, rotors, tire mounting/balancing, radiators, alternators, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering pumps, thermostats, serpentine belts, sensors, shocks, struts, timing belts, etc. Given that I don’t have a hydraulic lift and I’m a one man operation, I rarely tackle more difficult stuff like clutches, transmissions, or major engine problems. My wife works on a Saturday, which means I need to watch my young daughters while working, making things even more interesting, as my youngest (1.5) is always touching greasy stuff and my oldest (3) is begging me to do the voice for Ken while she plays Barbie dolls, haha. Each year, I purchase one really cheap car to “flip” and make a profit. Craigslist is full of people who accept scrap metal price for a beater car because of a few small problems.

It all started about 11 years ago, when I first started driving after my dad procured a real gem of a “first car” for me, that being a 1992 Ford Festiva, for around $300. It kind of looked like the one below, but was gray and much more dilapidated, haha…

23625160_1X.JPG

CAPTION: First Car

It had over 200,000 miles when I got it, and over the next few years my dad helped me fix the maddening myriad of problems (head gasket, always overheating, slowly leaking every fluid at all times) so that it was at least drivable. Despite my best efforts to mess with the sensors and wiring, the car had no functioning gauges, so I never knew how much gas was in the tank, what speed I was traveling at, the engine temperature, voltage, oil pressure, etc. It had no heat, no AC, the radio had been removed before I got it, the exhaust leaked into the cab, it couldn’t be shifted into 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear, the headlights pulsated at night, only the passenger side window could be successfully rolled down, and because the starter didn't work most of the time, I was forced to “catch it in gear” to start the motor. Needless to say, some negligent bastard had painstakingly destroyed this car before it came into my possession.

One summer I was lifting weights when a horrendous hail storm throttled the campus and shattered the rear window of the hatchback. I didn’t have the money to fix it, so I “N-rigged” it and drove it with plastic/tape covering the back for over a year. In the days before I was scheduled to go on the “first date” with my eventual wife, I bought a new rear window from a junkyard and quickly installed it. During the date, while we were driving down the highway, the window suddenly fell out of the housing and shattered on the highway. Yeah, she’ll never let me forget that story, haha. After that, I simply glued in a piece of plexiglass that I fabricated to fit. Eventually, at around 250,000 miles, a rotted frame, and an engine that had several blown a piston rings, I scrapped the Festiva and bought a used Ford Focus for around $2,500, which looks very similar to this one…

5991f689f3_640.jpg

CAPTION: Ford Focus – Awesome Little Cars

As of now, despite being 15 years old, the car has 265,000 miles and is running strong. Last weekend, I changed the timing belt and water pump in my garage, which was at least 10 hours of work. It sucked to do and the parts and special tools needed were expensive, but it’s worth it to invest in a good vehicle. I love this car and I’ll never give up on it. I have so many memories in the car. College, dating my wife, my wedding, my honeymoon, bringing my daughters home from the hospital, all the thousands of hours of driving with my friends, family, co-workers, driving to jobs sites and meetings and transporting clients. The time my kid retched in the back seat when we were at the beach and the smell lingered for months before dissipating, haha. When I have a son in the coming years, it’ll be his “birthright” to keep it running. I’m looking to achieve around 400,000 - 500,000 miles and beyond, like Irv Gordon...

http://http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/irv-gordons-volvo-p1800-has-hit-3-million-miles/

I also have a 26 year old truck (205,000 miles) and my wife has a Ford Explorer (120,000 miles). All three cars were purchased with cash and thus, we’ve never had a car payment. Everyone always makes fun of me (especially the guys at work, who all seem to have brand new cars with $400+ per month payments) because I like “junkers” and want to keep the vehicles I have. Since I don’t have expensive cars, I'm able to make large mortgage payments and I’ll hopefully be paying my house off in the next 2 years. I always tell them that I’m just an extremely loyal person…to my family, my wife, my heritage, my race, my community, and even my vehicles. What do you guys think?

For anyone interested in learning more about automotive repairs, I’d highly advise you to watch “Eric The Car Guy,” who’s made a series of fantastic instructional automotive DIY videos. He’s highly knowledgeable, practical, funny, topics range from very easy to very difficult, and the videos are free to watch...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_q-UNDJeEBSHqKzAP_8x_A

The internet is great for car repairs, and I’m constantly researching problems online. There is always some white man, somewhere, who had the same issue and figured it out.

Last edited:
All,

What is your “dream car?â€￾..

'57 Chevy Bel Air (convertible)..

And I'm with ya,.. I routinely gain help/knowledge online with car & home repairs (YouTube, etc).

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Hey Thrashen, all of my cars fit the profile of your car family. My "newest" vehicle is an early 2000's Ford Windstar with around 130,000 miles on it. I do all of my own wrenching, and wouldn't have it any other way. Heck, I flat out don't trust anyone else to fix 'em! Here in Missouri, we have to have our vehicles pass an overall inspection prior to registration. An authorized shop checks everything, brakes, suspension, you name it. I figure the local Ford dealership hates me, the only money they ever get from me is the $12 inspection fee (that they doubtless lose money on), since if they find anything wrong, I simply take it home an fix it myself. They wanted $400 to change inner and outer tie-rods, I did it myself for under $100, including the fancy new inner tie-rod tool that I now have gracing my tool shelf.:smiley:

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I've always been a big fan of muscle cars. My favorites are '69 Dodge Charger R/T (440 mag), '70 Plymouth Superbird, '64 Chevy Chevelle 427, '66 Pontiac GTO (coupe), '64 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt, '87 Buick Regal Grand National (Turbo T), '74 Chevy Nova SS & '69 Ford Mustang (Boss 429).

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
Average American said:
And I'm with ya,.. I routinely gain help/knowledge online with car & home repairs (YouTube, etc).

Yes, this series of instructional videos for a clutch replacement saved me plenty of hassle attempting to blindly figure it out, since transmissions and clutches are a major weakness in my DIY mechanical skills…

[video=youtube;1eoUL347ce0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eoUL347ce0[/video]

FootballDad said:
Hey Thrashen, all of my cars fit the profile of your car family. My "newest" vehicle is an early 2000's Ford Windstar with around 130,000 miles on it. I do all of my own wrenching, and wouldn't have it any other way.

Cool, it sounds like you’ve also discovered the “secret†to saving money for more important things in life. Do you have any air-powered tools? I do, but I find that aside from breaking lose bigger bolts (motor mounts, ball joints, wheel bearing nuts, crankshaft nuts, shock/strut fasteners, etc), they’re too big to reach most stuff. I have a full set of “swivel impact†sockets, which are expensive, but pretty useful…

4192PTAAZCL._SX300_.jpg

Another tool I recently purchased that has proven quite useful are those ratcheting box wrenches (with swivel feature), which are great for reaching into tight places…

31b8b7c5-20ea-4cf3-8cd6-c61f9f6d2cc3_300.jpg

My father-in-law owns a hydraulic tire changer that I would use constantly, but I bought a “bead breaker†for my garage about a year ago for around $35 and it’s all I use anymore. It’s is a more labor intensive method (you need a tire iron and soapy water), but works pretty good for changing all kinds of tires (cars, trucks, tractors, lawnmowers, etc)…

9984.JPG

FootballDad said:
Heck, I flat out don't trust anyone else to fix 'em! Here in Missouri, we have to have our vehicles pass an overall inspection prior to registration. An authorized shop checks everything, brakes, suspension, you name it. I figure the local Ford dealership hates me, the only money they ever get from me is the $12 inspection fee (that they doubtless lose money on), since if they find anything wrong, I simply take it home an fix it myself. They wanted $400 to change inner and outer tie-rods, I did it myself for under $100, including the fancy new inner tie-rod tool that I now have gracing my tool shelf.

I have a basic tie-rod “fork†tool that looks like this…

20060829-tie-rod.jpg

That’s sucks about the simultaneous registration/inspection. Here in PA, many of us “country†men ride around with uninspected vehicles for months, but getting caught is a $100+ fine and since this is an all-white area, there are no actual crimes aside from DUI, speeding, or driving without a license, insurance, inspection, or registration…so the police actually set up “check points†during the day to verify these items and generate revenue. All of my cars would easily pass inspection (which costs around $45 here), but I still take them to my friend’s “crooked†garage to avoid having to wait, haha.

New cars are generally a huge rip-off, as they’re now packed with digital gauges, computer screens, automatic park assist, built-in navigational units, back-up cameras, and other unnecessary electronics to sufficiently distract the driver and is difficult to fix yourself unless you have a degree in computer science. Like you, I enjoy driving high-mileage “junkers†because I like to save money and I really hate to “give up†on anything in life. Plus, it’s usually fun and satisfying to solve problems yourself and extend the life of one’s car without having to give your business to car companies, all of whom are owned and operated my Cultural Marxists. My Focus only reached 265,000 miles because I changed oil religiously and replaced dozens of parts well before they actually failed. It only “broke down†once, during a long trip for work in which one of my radiator hoses had a pinhole leak and slowly drained my coolant. Thankfully, I always carry 3-4 gallons of water, so I filled it up, cranked the heat to engage the radiator fan, and wrapped some duct tape around the hole. Of course, I fixed it in my garage later that evening. Because my wife is mostly driving my kid’s around, I’m particularly fanatical about her vehicle to reduce any possibility of her ever breaking down. Naturally, I keep a mini air compressor, oil, coolant, water, rags, jumper cables, tools, and other emergency essentials in all of my cars.

I’ll admit that there is a fine line between “junker†and “death trap.†A few years back, for instance, my dad bought a really cheap 2-door car that had been in an accident and actually had no functioning doors, as they had been permanently smashed shut. For the better part of a year, he removed the back seats of the car and was climbing in through the back hatch to enter the car, haha. Mind you, this is a guy with zero debt, making over $150,000 per year with several hundred grand in the bank!

There are only a few 20+ year old car models that seem to “run forever,†even with little maintenance. The Civic, Corolla, Accord, mid-90’s Subarus, VW Gulf, VW Rabbit, VW Jetta, Ford Taurus, Ford Crown Victoria, Jeep Cherokee, Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, and perhaps the most famous, the Volvo 240…

software-de-despiece-volvo-240-260-1974-1993-envio-gratis-7435-MLC5220351483_102013-O.jpg

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
I was having a little problem with my Ford Focus recently. My key would essentially become jammed in the ignition cylinder, unable to move in either direction, start the car, or be removed from the keyhole without some serious “jiggling” it back and forth for several minutes. I sprayed the lock tumblers inside the cylinder with WD-40 and silicon spray, but it didn’t help. I took it apart and realized that the tumblers inside the cylinder, which look like thin metal wafers, were dirty and ground away. The whole unit looks like this…

IMG_0414.jpg

707592_exploded__16220.1357856361.1280.1280.JPG

I wanted to fix it immediately because it would randomly do this (naturally, at the most inopportune moments) and I’d have to screw with it for several minutes before I could start my car or even remove my keys after driving and turn off the car. I looked up the part and it was $50, plus I’d need to get new keys made (to fit the new cylinder) at dealership, which is over $100 for those gay “anti-theft” keys with the built-in radio transmitter. For an older car with over $250,000 miles, I figured this was too much money to spend. Instead of getting Jewed, I removed all the metal tumblers inside the ignition cylinder, re-installed the unit, and the now the car can be started with any key of the same length (or a screw driver!). Just thought I’d share this in case any of you guys had a similar issue and wanted to fix the problem cheaply and ensure that it’ll never happen again. My Focus may only be worth around $1,000 anyway, so it isn’t the type of car that would ever be a candidate to be stolen.

Over the past few months, I’ve spent tons of time and money (even doing all the work myself) on that car, but it was mostly maintenance stuff to prolong the life. Timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, thermostat housing, all new radiator hoses, spark plugs, spark plug wires, flushed the brake fluid, flushed the power steering fluid, cleaned the mass air flow sensor, etc. My wife and I haven’t ever had a car payment since we’ve been married, but I try to spend a few bucks on parts for all 3 cars of our cars every few weeks.

Any of you guys have any car problems/fixes recently?

Last edited:

jaxvid

Hall of Famer

I'm not really very car repair savvy. I did more when I was younger and didn't have the cash to pay for repairs. Most new cars run pretty well nowadays it seems.

Anyway if you ever start the car with a screwdriver or key and remove the key from the ignition after starting it beware if you are stopped by a cop. I got a gun stuck in my ear when I was a kid for that. I had a car that had been stolen and they used the screwdriver trick to force the ignition, I didn't have the money to fix it so I just started it by turning the ignition minus the key. When a cop stopped me for speeding once he looked in, saw the key was missing and assumed I had stole the car. So he pulled his gun and had me on the ground pronto. I was innocent of course but they impounded the car and I never got up the money to get it back. Obviously the seizure of my junker vehicle was enough to keep the city of Detroit solvent for another few years.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Been too damn cold to work on anything! This weekend I will be replacing power window motors and other miscellaneous repairs to an '89 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible so that I can sell it. It's nice and all, but it's superfluous and it mostly takes up space in the garage most of the year.

Then I can afford to buy struts and (some) springs for two of my other cars. That will be a project for another weekend.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
FootballDad said:
Been too damn cold to work on anything! This weekend I will be replacing power window motors and other miscellaneous repairs to an '89 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible so that I can sell it. It's nice and all, but it's superfluous and it mostly takes up space in the garage most of the year.

Then I can afford to buy struts and (some) springs for two of my other cars. That will be a project for another weekend.

Yeah, this winter has also been brutal in PA. In my area, it was the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] highest snowfall total since the 1800’s. Consequently, I couldn’t get much accomplished outside on my small farm due to 3.5 full months of deep snow cover without melting…so instead I focused on inside home remodeling and automotive repairs (both personal and small jobs for others).

That Mustang project sound pretty cool, I hope you make some money on the deal when it’s sold. About two weeks ago, I sold a “flipped†car to my younger cousin. It was a 1996 Ford Taurus (105,000 miles) that I purchased for $200 (scrap metal price) from a guy at work that looked just like this (only destroyed)...

2762480002_large.jpg

The guy was about to scrap the car because a massive tree limb fell onto it during a windstorm and caved in the roof/windshield really badly. I drove the smashed car home from his house (about 15 miles) with my head out the driver’s side window (to see properly) and my wife following me, haha. To fix the car’s caved-in interior, I employed several car jacks to get the roof back into place. To save money, I bought a used windshield and a tube of urethane and installed it myself, which was hell to do. I also fabricated a new exhausted system with my welder, as the old system was riddled with holes. I did a few other minor things (belts, plugs, battery, rust repair, etc) and the car was ready for sale. My cousin is 23 and is about to graduate college, so he doesn’t care about cosmetics. Because it was family, I didn’t make any money on deal.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
About two weeks ago, I sold a “flippedâ€￾ car to my younger cousin. It was a 1996 Ford Taurus (105,000 miles) that I purchased for $200 (scrap metal price) from a guy at work that looked just like this (only destroyed)... Because it was family, I didn’t make any money on deal.

You seem like too much of a hard ass to get abused by family but my neighbor is a car fixer-upper and there is always a relative in his garage or driveway watching him do their breaks or belts or oil or somesuch. I don't think he makes anything on it. Just a nice guy.

Back in the day I was a good TV repair man and I always had relatives asking me to come by and look at their busted sets. It was a pain in the butt. I didn't like to hit them up for anything. Fortunately asians started cranking out TVs so cheap that no one bothers to repair them anymore or I'd still be hauling my o-scope and meter around.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
You seem like too much of a hard ass to get abused by family but my neighbor is a car fixer-upper and there is always a relative in his garage or driveway watching him do their breaks or belts or oil or somesuch. I don't think he makes anything on it. Just a nice guy.

Back in the day I was a good TV repair man and I always had relatives asking me to come by and look at their busted sets. It was a pain in the butt. I didn't like to hit them up for anything. Fortunately asians started cranking out TVs so cheap that no one bothers to repair them anymore or I'd still be hauling my o-scope and meter around.

Guys who repaired TV’s always impressed me. I remember them coming to my parent’s house to repair our Digital Synagogue, but that all seemed to stop in the mid-1990’s. I’ve taken TV’s apart before in an attempt to fix them, but soon realized that I have no clue how to repair a cathode ray tube, haha.

I’m only a “hard ass” towards my racial and political enemies. Towards family and like-minded friends, I’d gladly help them without expecting any compensation. My cousin is about 5 years younger than me, so he’s just starting out in life (his degree is in Pharmacy) and is getting married next year. Despite being in his early 20’s, he is already an “up and coming” White Nationalist and I think of him as a “pupil” of sorts, haha.

I should have mentioned how I replaced the shattered windshield on that Taurus without taking it to a professional. After cleaning up the worst of the shards inside the car with a shop vac, I used one of those “vibrating” multi-tools (which have so many uses) with the scraper attachment to peel off the old glass/urethane seal and it worked great…

Chicago-Electric-Variable-Speed-Oscillating-Multi-Tool.jpg

Auto glass is not only expensive, but a royal pain in the balls to work with due to its fragility. To save money on repairing the rear window on my truck, I used a pane of plexiglass instead. Just trace the opening, cut it on a table saw, and used clear silicon. It seems this guy had the same idea…

[video=youtube;1QcibprCk1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QcibprCk1I[/video]

I once replaced a roll-up driver’s side rear door window with plexiglass on a car I “flipped”
several years ago and it worked great. Just another N-rigging suggestion for the more frugal members of CF!

Last edited: