Athletic Inheritance

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
It's counter productive to have a sports board that claims to celebrate the white athlete and their accomplishments then have to constantly hear about how great black athletes are. Sure there are great black athletes, we know, ever other sports orientated board in the universe goes on and on about it. Why come here and make a small point that Wariner is not as "great" as Johnson was? That's subjective. In fact it's ALL subjective especially if you factor in drug use. In the end it's all about who you support.

White Hot you have made some good points. I don't think that you are a troll but why make posts that are just intended to piss on our parade? There's plenty of things to discuss in the sports world.

PitBull

Guru
Actually White Hot Noise posted in another thread, so he even lied about
that. How do you know Johnson was clean? All we hear about are the
athletes who get caught with PED's, but the Orlando story should be a
reminder that drugs are rampant in almost all professional sports,
especially in track and field, and that what little we do find out about PED
use is the tip of the iceberg.

As far as white athletes and track and field, its basically on the bottom of
the radar screen for most white kids in high school. Don't ask me why. I
have no idea about blacks. But I see little reason to downgrade white
athletes' accomplishments, unless you are a black racist or some white
liberal nitwit.

Why shouldn't Wariner be compared to Johnson? He very well may break
his 400 record in the next 2-3 years. If he stays healthy he will probably
take gold again in 2008. Just because he hasn't done the 200/400 thing
is pretty irrelevant. Many of the records held by track athletes are in a
single event. Look at Carl Lewis. For all his hype, he never broke the
long jump record and only held the 100m record for a short time.

I don't understand why this board is any different from a number of
sports boards on the internet where fans root for university or team.
Nobody here cares what you think. Beg off and leave. You're turning into
the hater you say you hate. Better watch out, you may lose that superior
character you think you possess.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
PitBull said:
Actually White Hot Noise posted in another thread, so he even lied about
that. How do you know Johnson was clean? All we hear about are the
athletes who get caught with PED's, but the Orlando story should be a
reminder that drugs are rampant in almost all professional sports,
especially in track and field, and that what little we do find out about PED
use is the tip of the iceberg.

I think it's fairly certain that Michael Johnson used PED's, our insider source Colonel Callahan has provided the information on that. Maybe Wariner is too? Who knows, they're probably all doing something. But to assume Johnson was clean with all of what we know now is just naive or intentionally misleading.

albinosprint

Mentor
does anyone have at time to age comparison for warnier & johnson? i belive jeremy is way ahead for for his age.

PitBull

Guru
Wariner broke Johnson's 400m school record time at Baylor, won the
Olympic gold medal in 400m and 4x400m relay at 20 years old, and the
World Championship in 2005, at 21. Johnson didn't win his first gold in the
individual 400m until he was 29 in 1996, and won his first world
championship in the 400m in 1991 at 24. Just some more White Hot BS
from a troll.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
White Hot said:
I think we like to believe that the top whites are equal to the top blacks where speed is concerned, but to be fair, that's just not the case. Don Bebee wasn't even in the top 15. Bob Hayes was the fastest of all time, and Darrell Green and Bo Jackson were the fastest during Don Bebee's era.

Again, I think castefootball wants to believe Jeremy Wariner's better than Michael Johnson, but to actually say it is almost disrespectful. Michael has 16 of the fastest 25 times in history. Wariner has 1. Let's be fair.

Don Bebee was certainly in the top 15. He has the combine record of 4.20, tied with Deion. I posted a link to that from a newspaper article in an earlier post. He may not have been the fastest of all time, but he certainly was possibly the quickest. I heard somewhere Bo Jackson ran a 4.2 also. As for Wariner he is young, and I believe drug free. Look at how much skinnier Wariner is than Michael Johnson was in his heyday. Johnson started his alltime dominance later in life (which is posted above by Pitbull) which is another indicator on top of the rumors that he used PEDs. Wariner may never win gold at 200 in the Olympics, but in my eyes he will be the best over 400 ever!

white is right said:
Maple Leaf said:
When was the last time anyone was able to document black offspring becoming lighter than their parents without the mixing with a lighter skinned person. Black people can reproduce what they already are and the same holds true for whites. Even if it happened once in a million, how could that one person out of one million start another race?

You can't reproduce something different but your features can be attributed to a distant ancestor who maybe of a different ethnic or even racial group. There are many instances of white parents having a dark caucasian child, yet both parents are pale. You will see that in areas that were conquered by other ethnic groups and way back these people have traces of the foreigners blood.

To defend myself, I wasn't trying to imply that skin color can change fast by mutation. Mutations are very rare, even ones caused by toxins in the environment (mutagens). Especially rare are spontaneous mutations (apx. one in a million). Sure the way it changes is through sexual and natural selection. However, people that migrated north may have sexually selected lighter skinned people to mate with and natural selection played a part as well. According to what I've read it happened faster than people would think. Meiosis mixes up the genes (crossing over) which is why you see siblings that are different from each other. Recessive traits, that were hidden from the parents also having the dominant allele, are often brought out by Meiosis. Sometimes there are several different versions of alleles. I know a family (mother is Sicilian and the dad Irish) that has a huge difference in the complexion of their children. One of their sons has blonde hair and light skin but their daughter is very dark, she looks as dark as an Iranian.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Maple Leaf

Mentor
T.J.Riggins wrote: "Sure the way it changes is through sexual and natural selection." Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Look your textbooks are still leading you astray or counfounding you. Black people cannot become white without mixing with whites and vice-versa. Since mutations are so rare, the whites have to be there in the first place. This is what this "out of Africa" theory cannot explain.

Freedom

Mentor
How different skin colors evolved is a mystery. Since lighter skin is advantageous further from the equator, it makes sense that Europe would have lighter skin. But having dark skin wouldn't be fatal in Europe?

Nina Jablonski's book, Skin: A Natural History explains how skin color evolved, or at least one theory. Whites and Blacks and Asians all at one time had a common ancestor.

I think that people of west African descent will be overrepresented by the demographics of very fast people. But whites and other races still have a large portion of people that are just as fast. So, most fast people are black, not the other way around. But a lot of whites can ran just as fast, just not as large a portion.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Freedom said:
How different skin colors evolved is a mystery. Since lighter skin is advantageous further from the equator, it makes sense that Europe would have lighter skin. But having dark skin wouldn't be fatal in Europe?

Nina Jablonski's book, Skin: A Natural History explains how skin color evolved, or at least one theory. Whites and Blacks and Asians all at one time had a common ancestor.

I think that people of west African descent will be overrepresented by the demographics of very fast people. But whites and other races still have a large portion of people that are just as fast. So, most fast people are black, not the other way around. But a lot of whites can ran just as fast, just not as large a portion.

You are definitley right that having black skin in Europe isn't fatal..Neither is having very white skin in the Congo. Sexual selection probably played a stronger part than natural selection. However, nowadays with the problems with the Ozone it can be quite dangerous to be very fair skinned near the equator..Time to bring out the zinc oxide.
Thanks for mentioning a book, I have always wanted to read a book on this topic.