Arkansas Razorbacks

Triad

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
from a Caste perspective, it wasn't a good game to watch. Hillis was dominant, even though he was playing hurt. but he was almost exclusively used as a blocker.

Hillis had many impresive blocks on the day but little credit for the team's rushing performance. Great team victory but with Hillis being used like Leonard, and Tre Smith MIA, a disappointing game from a caste perspective. Edited by: Triad

Samuel Hain

What was the helmet Ole Miss used before it went blue with Ole Miss is red lettering? Can anybody post a picture of said helmet?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Samuel Hain, I am happy to share my love of helmets with y'all. Here are all of the designs Ole Miss has used since they switched to plastic.
1949-54-I have one of these
MSXXUM4954-180.jpg

1955-57
MSXXUM5557-180.jpg

1958-65
MSXXUM5868-180.jpg

1966-68-change in style of numbers-this is Archie's Sophomore year (1968) helmet
MSXXUM6868A-180.jpg

1969-100th year of college football
MSXXUM6969-180.jpg

1970-74-still medium blue-first Colonel Reb logo
MSXXUM7074-180.jpg

1975-78-navy blue-after 1975 4 point chinstraps are mandatory-1st generation clip on mask
MSXXUM7578-180.jpg

1979-82-red 2'nd generation clip-on facemask-last design with Colonel Reb on it-this reproduction has an incorrect 2 point chinstrap
ole_miss_1979_1982_temp_1.jpg

1983-1994-powder blue color-gray facemask-Ole Miss script-first helmet after Ole Miss officially disassociated itself from the Confederate battle flag-Billy Brewer took over as head coach in 1983-this version would represent 1989-1994. 1983-1985 used 2'nd generation facemasks instead of 3rd. Then the first 3rd generation masks had only 1 bar on top. This 2 top bar version started being used around 1989.
olemiss1994a.jpg

1995-Present-navy blue and navy facemask-since 2000 the chinstraps have been navy as well, instead of white
0766000290.JPG

I hope you guys enjoy looking at those!
smiley4.gif

I also have pictures of a prototype helmet that was considered either when they changed designs in 1995 or either when they "updated" their uniform for 2000. I'll have to look for it though. I got the pic a couple of years ago and its not on this computer.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are Archie's original 1970 Ole Miss and one of the earlier versions of the helmet he used with the Saints. They were both Macgregor MH-100 with full leather padding on the inside. From what I know it was top of the line back then. When Archie was on the varisty squad at Ole Miss, he wore 3 different styles of helmets with 3 different facemasks, the one bar in 1968 to the square jaw OPO in 1969, to the "standard" OPO in 1970. He complained about the helmet he wore as a freshman in 1967 as being too big and that when he tackled people, the top of the front opening would hit his nose. Back then, Ole Miss played 4 Freshman games a year against other SEC Freshman teams, and the 67 squad, coached by the legendary Wobble Davidson, went 3-1. During the first two games, all players were required to play offense and defense. Archie was a safety.

mann4.jpg

mann5.jpg
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, all this time and nobody has commented on my awesome helmet posts. I'm crushed!
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's a WR Arkansas is interested in. Shiloh Christian's Crosby Tuck. He's 6-2, 185 and runs a 4.43 40. He has verbally committed to Arkansas, but we'll have to see what the next couple of months bring. Shiloh plays Prescott for the 3A state title Saturday at Noon at the Rock. He had 3TDs and 240 yards on 7 catches against Prairie Grove this year. Here are his stats from the past 2 years as a starting WR/CB. 2005-67 catches for 1,443 yards and 16 TDs, plus 3 carries for 25 yards. On defense, he had 28 total tackles and a 20 yard INT, All conference. 2004-73 catches for 1,261 yards and 15 TDs, and had 53 rushing yards. As a 9th grader, he started both ways for the Undefeated Junior High team. Other stats-365 LB Squat, 225 Power Clean, 255 Bench, Pro-shuttle 4.11.

334861m.jpg

308866.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i can't believe i haven't mentioned him before. *scratches his head in bewilderment*

good job Colonel. Tuck might be the fastest high school football player in Arkansas this year. he is only the third white receiver to be offered a scholarship by head coach Houston Nutt in 9 seasons...

the previous two (speed merchants David Thompson and Andrew Norman) have never seen action (Thompson left the program, while Norman is currently red-shirting as a freshman).

in Nutt's 9-year tenure, he has offered scholarships to just 3 white wide receivers, 2 defensive backs, and 2 running backs... both running backs were bulked up to play fullback, while neither DB has ever seen the field, even on special teams.

cornerback/safety Rick Culbert was the fastest player in the Razorbacks' '04 recruiting class, until convicted felon (and Georgia state high school sprint champion) michael grant was added late. Culbert transferred out last year, never having touched the field despite his incredible speed on a defense that claims to want the fastest guys out there. red-shirt freshman strong safety Matt Harris, the son of former Dallas Cowboy great Cliff Harris, despite drawing rave reviews from the coaching staff has never stepped on the field either. not even on a coverage team.

phenomenal high school tailbacks Mark Pierce and Peyton Hillis were never given a shot at playing tailback, despite all their physical gifts. hell, Pierce was even the MVP of the Oil Bowl, one of the most prestigious high school all star games in the country! as a tailback! Nutt talked about him being a running back for a while, until suddenly Pierce was forced to put on 40 pounds of muscle in one summer... then began to have bad acne and anger issues. you connect the dots. and you all know how Hillis has been treated...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Mark Pierce was a hoss. I watched him in person in Oxford in 2003, plus I saw him in TV games in 01 and 02 as well. I know he had speed before he bulked up, because I remember him getting a long touchdown where he showed good speed. He only played 3 years at Arkansas.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
yeah, his early departure was surrounded by a BUNCH of weird stuff... quarrels with the cops, strange behavioral problems, prolonged absences from practices, and of course the fact that a 205-pound high school tailback was playing as a 245-pound fullback. you don't put on that kind of weight overnight without problems and, err, extra help... and Pierce didn't miss either one.

he was the top TB in Texas his senior year, if i remember correctly, yet still had to transform his body into a likely pharmaceutical experiment in order to get playing time.
smiley7.gif

just to let you know how fast he was, he had an 80-yard TD run in the Oil Bowl against the best defensive players the state of Oklahoma produced that year. he ran a legit 4.5... that is until he had to carry around all the extra weight.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That's a sad story but a common one for many players who are forced to move from their natural positions. Here's the only pic I could find of him, and it from the 7 OT game against Ole Miss in 2001.

thumb6.jpg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
talking about the only two white RBs for the Hogs... Peyton Hillis didn't even make the trip to the SEC Championship game.
smiley5.gif

there's lots of strange talk swirling around, as you can imagine... of course Nutt says he was "rehabbing" but other players with more serious, season-ending injuries were on the sideline... so like i mentioned before, it may be that he's played his last game as a Hog.

in my opinion, if that happens it's not because of the injury, but because he's sick of getting jerked around by Nutt and company.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
You know, one could have some fun with that last sentence!
smiley36.gif

Seriously though, I would be too. He has been screwed over like nobody else I can think of this year except Brian Leonard. Tre Smith comes in a close third.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
what are the odds of Hillis even making it to the NFL?

it depends on what reality we're dealing with... in the reality where talent is all that matters, Hillis would be a late first-day power back pick based on potential because of his lack of carries in college (i mean the guy is the best punt returner the Razorbacks have for crying out loud, and would rank 3rd in the SEC if he had enough returns to qualify!). he's got tremendous speed for his size(4.49 at 238-pounds), naturally gifted hands (he led the Hogs in receiving last year), and is a DOMINANT blocker.

in the reality we live in, however, his odds are very, VERY slim. i believe only one fullback has been drafted in the last three years, because the position has been devalued in today's NFL. add to that his debilitating skin condition, and he's looking at some pretty long odds.
smiley7.gif

G

Samuel Hain said:
Although the Razorbacks will suck this year I am pleased that former Razorback quarterback Matt Jones was a first round draft pick for Jacksonville. Alas this year we will have a black quarterback and I just dont believe they can compare. They cannot think quick enough like a white quarterback can.

Thinking has little to do with race, as is quickness. If you are going to say white are as fast a blacks, then you better say blacks can think as well as whites.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
spotle said:
Thinking has little to do with race, as is quickness. If you are going to say white are as fast a blacks, then you better say blacks can think as well as whites.

You must have not gone to public school in a big city!

Why is one the same as another? Can't someone be fast AND smart, can't one group be slow and dumb? You just say it as if it's true. Why?

G

BEcause that undermines the whole thing that this is supposed to be working for. I am aiming for a team where their could be an all black O line and Quarterback and all white wide recievers and runnings backs and DBs. Not an all-white team. Blacks are not all dumb, just as not all whites are slow.

Daimon

Boy the proverbal stuff has hit the fan now! Boy chip quarterback Mitch
Mustain has left the program for Tulsa, along with Arkansas offensive
cordinator Gus Malzhan. Today a full page,5500$ dollar ad was taken out
in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette urging athletic director Frank Broyles
and Coach Houston Nutt to step down for the good of the program.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
<DIV =firstP>Nutt says fans spreading unfounded gossip.
<DIV =firstP>Associated Press
Posted: 6 hours ago
<>
// front-end hack to remove postedTime from Rumors page until a better way can be determined
if (document.URL.indexOf("/name/FS/rumors") != -1 && document.getElementById("postedTime") != null) document.getElementById("postedTime").style.display = 'none';

<DIV =firstP>
<DIV =firstP>FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP) - Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt said in an open letter Tuesday that Razorback fans who obtained records regarding his school-issued cell phone and suggested he had an improper relationship with a woman were spreading "unfounded gossip" that had hurt his wife.

Cell phone records obtained by fans and media under Arkansas' Freedom of Information Act showed that Nutt exchanged text messages with the cell phone of a female television news anchor more than 1,000 times over a six-week period, including once just 19 minutes before the start of the Capital One Bowl on Jan. 1.

Nutt said his correspondence was appropriate communication with a friend and colleague, some of it about her work for a nonprofit organization with which he is involved. "Any allegation or suggestion that our professional and personal friendship or involvement goes beyond that is false, careless, and purposefully vindictive," Nutt wrote.

The material obtained has not indicated what any of the text messages said. The coach, under fire after the departures of a popular assistant coach and freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain, said he would have released the texts but that the phone company had informed his lawyer they were not available.

Other information obtained under the FOI law reportedly noted contact among Houston Nutt, his brother and running backs coach Danny Nutt and family friend Teresa Prewett on the day Mustain received a harsh e-mail from Prewett. The head coach gave Prewett an official reprimand and barred her from the sidelines during games after the letter was traced to her.

"Once again, for the record, I had no prior knowledge of that e-mail and promptly reprimanded Ms. Prewett when I learned of the correspondence," Nutt wrote Tuesday. "I have respect for Mitch Mustain and wish him the very best in the future."

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported Tuesday that last month Mustain himself requested Nutt's telephone records, along with those of Danny Nutt and athletic director Frank Broyles.

Nutt's letter was e-mailed to the media by Arkansas sports information director Kevin Trainor.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Arkansas Spring Game Stats and Recruits

Rushing: WR John Aaron Rees 1 for 1; RB Peyton Hillis 1- minus 10

Passing: QB Casey Dick 8 for 14 for 117 yards; QB Nathan Emert 7 for 17 for 80 yards and an INT

Receiving: WR John Aaron Rees 1 for 3; RB Peyton Hillis 4 for 38 and a TD game high for receptions; TE Ben Cleveland 2 for 52 and a TD game high in receiving yardage; TE Andrew Davie 1 for 15

Arkansas has signed 27 players thusfar, but only 9 are white. They also signed a hispanic and middle eastern looking kicker.

The whitesignees are as follows:

WR Crosby Tuck 6-1, 185, 4.43

TE Grant Freeman 6-7, 243, 4.9

QB Nathan Dick 6-4, 200, 4.8

OLB Tim Dial 6-3, 210, 4.4

DE Jake Bequette 6-5, 255, 4.85

C Seth Oxner 6-4, 285, 5.19

C Rhett Richardson 6-2, 215

G Wade Grayson 6-3, 260, 5.1

OT Grant Cook 6-6, 305, 5.1