APNewsBreak: McGwire admits using steroids

I am not so sure that McGuire would not have hit as many home runs per season if he had played in a STEROID FREE environment.Steroid increase muscle tissue and this is what everyone emphasizes but steroids also promote recovery and endurance and is there anyone out there that does not think McGuire and everyone else in MLB were not facing juiced pitchers.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think the pitchers got on roids years after the home run hitters got on them. Around the late 80's to early 90's home run hitters started looking like hulking weightlifters. The theory in baseball (before Oakland destroyed it) was that weightlifting made you tight/muscle bound. Pitchers have always been afraid to mess with their delivery. Getting too much upper body bulk is a no no. When guys figured out that steroids with a proper training regiment helped with lower body strength and recovery then pitchers experimented with steroids.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
ToW, I agree with you on Big Mac's HR #'s...sans the sauce. The juice helps nitrogen retention & thus minimizes recovery time-frame(s). I'm sure Mark could have unleashed a slew of taters "au-naturale" (with his God given size & power), but the PEDs helped him take it "supernova".