Anthony Tufariello

Back in 1977 a New York high schooler named Anthony Tufariello ran the 400m. dash in 46.09. I belive that it was the years best time and a national record. Anthony was recruited to Villanova and immediately moved up to the 800 meters. I don't recall that other (black) sprinters who ran similar, but slower, 400m. times were moved up to the 800m. In fact, I know of some who were recruited to run the 400m.

Maybe it was determined that Anthony lacked the speed to be a top 400m. runner. Maybe it was determined that he could be a world-class 800m. runner. And maybe he was moved up because everyone knows that whites cannot be top sprinters. (Of course, tell that to anybody who knows about Jeremy Wariner and keep astraight face)

Anyway, my point will be over and over again that the smart thing to do is to judge each person as an individual, not as a stereotype.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I've had several arguements on a track and field website about Tufariello getting screwed by being forced into the 800m, despite being the fastest 400m guy in the country back in 77.
His best HS time was better than most HSers today including Wariner.
Anyway, surprisingly (or not so) very few people agreed with me.
It's rascism, just in the other direction.
Unfortunately most people can't recognize anti-white rascism.

bigman

Guru
Tuf was amazing, immense talent who could have been great at 200, 400 or 800 had an injury not gotten to him.