Another uniform number slap

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The Detroit Lions issued no. 85 to Kevin Johnson a free agent retread receiver that will force David Kircus off the squad. 85 had been "unofficially retired" since 1971 as it was the number worn by receiver Chuck Hughes when he died of a heart attack on the field that year. While this is not the same as unretiring a number of a great white player it is still just another way to demean a white player from the past. It's not like there are not enough numbers in football either. The Lions said they tried to contact a representative from the Hughes family so as to be respectful but *surprise* they couldn't find one.

JoeV

Guru
I actually liked KJ when he was with the Browns. (I think have his jersey along with 4 other Browns players in my closet who now totally suck) He is pretty well spoken and fits into the "possesion" type receiver tag that they usually only reserve for white wideouts. Why the Lions signed him (or he signed with the Lions) is beyond me because he is going to be buried 4th on the depth chart after the 3 wideouts that they have drafted with their last 3 number one picks.