Annual NFL White Purge 2013

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great news for some of our guys and devasting news for others. I still hope that Tim is either brought back to the Pats by week one or two or that a team like the Bucs or Jags pick him up. He is to good to be not playing football. Even if it's just as an athlete. The guy ran for around 40 yards and threw for two tds last game. So he had an interception. He is slowly getting there. He has had to learn 3 playbooks in 3 years where some guys can't even learn one playbook in 3 years!

It looks like Zach Rogers (WR from Tennessee) might make the Jets roster. He is currently the #6 receiver, and had a pretty good game against the eagles. I hope he can hang on.

L

Lew

Maybe with the Jets ultra-wretched receiving corps, Spadola might make his mark as a rookie. Ethnic name, from the metro area, reminds me of Wayne Chrebet in '95, the only undrafted White receiver to start as a rookie for at least the past 35 years. But do the Jets have a quarterback capable of getting Spadola the ball?
ethnic name but too bad for him he has blonde hair and blue eyes. The only thing worse would be if he was a redhead.

Truthteller

Mentor
ethnic name but too bad for him he has blonde hair and blue eyes. The only thing worse would be if he was a redhead.

Actually, Lew, it probably doesn't matter too much if he has blond (or red) hair and blue eyes, or if he looked much more "ethnic" white, like Wayne Chrebet, dark hair and eyes, olive complexion. As long as player is white, he'll be hated by way too many DWF's and the Kosher media.

Actually, there are certain "ethnic names" that could help him a great deal...Maybe instead of Ryan Spadola, he'd be beloved if he was Rudi Sapperstein or Evan Epstein-Gelbman or Gabe Kapler?

Actually, great news that Maehl was kept over Salas.....

I really hope Zach Rogers makes the Jets, just fear he won't with that obese Caste-pig calling the shots....Jets did cut Massaquoi (sp?), which is good...but some total no-name black (non-rookie) from Temple had a few big catches in their last pre-season game. Loathsome, midget Jewish announcer Ian Eagle (can't be his real name?) was going crazy over this scrubs "potential", while blasting Rogers for a drop on one potential big play....I think his name is Mark Campbell or whatever? Will be interesting to see if he gets cut.

Probably a good thing Collie was cut. He might be better off waiting until a better opportunity comes along -- Kind of like Jordan Shipley and Jacob Hester last season....Wigger Jim and the 49ers were a terrible fit for him and he's still dealing with an injured ACL. Much better if he signs week 6 and plays the rest of the season, rather than making the 49ers and being inactive or relegated to #5 or #6 all year.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Maybe with the Jets ultra-wretched receiving corps, Spadola might make his mark as a rookie. Ethnic name, from the metro area, reminds me of Wayne Chrebet in '95, the only undrafted White receiver to start as a rookie for at least the past 35 years. But do the Jets have a quarterback capable of getting Spadola the ball?

Yep. Don, do you remember how many white receivers we had starting during 95? Only ones I can think of are Proehl and Chrebet, though Mccaffrey started a few games.

Truthteller

Mentor
Bengals release OT Roland and linebacker Schaffer (only one white man on defense at a time in Cincy), but cut Herron, so looks good for Burkhead.

Placed LB Emmanuel Lamur on injured reserve. Placed RB Bernard Scott on the PUP list. Released QB John Skelton, OT Dennis Roland, FB John Conner, TE Bryce Davis, S Tony Dye, OT Reid Fragel, WR Cobi Hamilton, RB Daniel Herron, C T.J. Johnson, CB Chris Lewis-Harris, CB Onterio McCalebb, DE Dontay Moch, CB Shaun Prater, WR Taveon Rogers, WR Roy Roundtree, LB J.K. Schaffer, DT Terrence Stephens, G John Sullen and LB Bruce Taylor.

Looks like both Sanzenbacher and Whalen survived the cuts (for now), as well as Burkhead. Hopefully Fragel and Schaffer will be placed on the practice squad, at least....

I think the Bengals have a black slot receiver (Hawkins?) on the PUP list, so one or both could be gone after week 6 if Marvin "I have a Greek/white wife, but love to screw over white males" Lewis relegates them to special teams or keeps them constantly inactive.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. Don, do you remember how many white receivers we had starting during 95? Only ones I can think of are Proehl and Chrebet, though Mccaffrey started a few games.

That was it. McCaffrey didn't become a full-time starter until '96, his sixth year in the league. There were a few backups and part-timers like Don Beebe and Todd Kinchen, but the early to mid '90s were a wasteland for White receivers, running backs and defensive players.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
That was it. McCaffrey didn't become a full-time starter until '96, his sixth year in the league. There were a few backups and part-timers like Don Beebe, but the early to mid '90s were a wasteland for White receivers, running backs and defensive players.

The 90's were truly the dark years. Just about the only positive was Alstott almost rushing for a 1,000 yards in 1999. This year we may have six starting white receivers, that's only if Edelman starts. Ourlads still has him as a starter but I think he's second string. Six is an improvement from the pathetic two.

Chrebet was subject to extreme racism during his first couple of seasons in the league at the hands of Keyshawn Johnson. Johnson hated the guy for no reason other than he was white an a white guy playing a "black" position. Chrebet was a fan favorite due to him being a local guy from Garfield NJ and his toughness on the field. These days aren't much better for Chrebet. He suffers lasting effects from his concussions and has memory loss. Black Panther Keyshawn Johnson is enjoying his broadcast job thanks to black skin privilege.

Cody Grimm (S) and David Douglas (WR) were cut by the Buccaneers. It looks like Peyton Hillis made the team. Douglas had a really impressive preseason, it is too bad he was cut.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The 90's were truly the dark years. Just about the only positive was Alstott almost rushing for a 1,000 yards in 1999. This year we may have six starting white receivers, that's only if Edelman starts. Ourlads still has him as a starter but I think he's second string. Six is an improvement from the pathetic two.

Chrebet was subject to extreme racism during his first couple of seasons in the league at the hands of Keyshawn Johnson. Johnson hated the guy for no reason other than he was white an a white guy playing a "black" position. Chrebet was a fan favorite due to him being a local guy from Garfield NJ and his toughness on the field. These days aren't much better for Chrebet. He suffers lasting effects from his concussions and has memory loss. Black Panther Keyshawn Johnson is enjoying his broadcast job thanks to black skin privilege.

1999 was Alstott's best year and it was also a dynamic, breakthrough season for White receivers as I've written about in several threads over the years. But that was all smacked down pretty good in 2000.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
New England put Adrian Wilson on IR, so Steve Gregory should be starting for them along with Rob Ninkovich on defense. Looks like the Patriots will be starting 10 to 11 Whites this season when Gronkowski gets healthy; when Gronk, Sudfield, Amendola and Edelman are on the field at the same time the only black player on offense will be the running back.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Tampa releases Gary Gibson, who had been listed as one of their starting DTs, giving them now a coal black defense, along with WR David Douglas. I don't know much about Douglas, but he always looks great when he plays in preseason games, another talent who is kept kicking around the far fringes of the league.

At least Peyton Hillis looks safe for now.

bigunreal

Mentor
Well, I must say that, as far as Great White Purges go, this one wasn't as bad as usual. But, as has been noted, we've seen something like this before, and then a bunch more white players are released just before the regular season.

The Bengals, in particular, are presently stockpiling an alarming number of white skill players (albeit most of them will seldom play). If that lasts, it will indeed be a shocking change for the better. And if New England keeps 24 players, that's pretty good, too.

Call me Mr. Optimistic.

foobar75

Master
Well, I must say that, as far as Great White Purges go, this one wasn't as bad as usual. But, as has been noted, we've seen something like this before, and then a bunch more white players are released just before the regular season.

The Bengals, in particular, are presently stockpiling an alarming number of white skill players (albeit most of them will seldom play). If that lasts, it will indeed be a shocking change for the better. And if New England keeps 24 players, that's pretty good, too.

Call me Mr. Optimistic.

Bigunreal, aka Mr. Optimistic? OK, now, I have seen it all!

But you are correct, until Week 1 arrives and these rosters are set completely, it's better to be cautious. I wonder if we are still at that unofficial, but strictly mandated ratio of 70/30 that never, ever changes year-to-year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Raiders just released Connor Vernon despite having a horrible group of black receivers. I was watching them a bit the other night and they were using a black punter and a black field goal kicker, though I doubt Sebastian Janikowsi is going anywhere. Miles Burress has been all but purged despite a fine rookie season (he's injured but has been all but written off in favor of "upside" playas). This is going to be quite the coal black roster, a few Whites on the o-line and possibly (but not likely) Matt Flynn at QB, and the team will be a bottom feeder as usual.

bigunreal

Mentor
Wow- Zach Rodgers and Connor Vernon cut, in the short time since I posted as Mr. Optimistic. It's hard to be an optimist.

TwentyTwo

Master
WR Andy Tanner makes the team! BUT they released Jim Leonhard?? He led the team in tackles Thurs Nite....

Did not help JK Shaeffer either ...he led the team in tackles the other night too..hope he land on practice squad...

Ryan Spadola should stick for the NY Jets....

Disappointed w David Douglas...guess we should not be surprised....they pulled that crap w Chas Gessner back in 07'

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
New England put Adrian Wilson on IR, so Steve Gregory should be starting for them along with Rob Ninkovich on defense. Looks like the Patriots will be starting 10 to 11 Whites this season when Gronkowski gets healthy; when Gronk, Sudfield, Amendola and Edelman are on the field at the same time the only black player on offense will be the running back.

Aside from Tebow, the three white players that were on the "razor's edge" were FB James Develin, SS Nate Ebner, and DE Jake Bequette. All of them made the squad, giving them 23 whites...

QB - Brady, Mallett
RB - Develin
WR - Amendola, Edelman
TE - Gronkowski, Sudfeld
OL - Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Vollmer, Svitek, Kline
DE - Ninkovich, Bequette
DT - Vellano
LB - Fletcher
S - Gregory, Ebner
K/P/LK - Gostowski, Allen, Aiken

There are only 51 roster spots currently occupied, which means that the Patriots could add two additional white players in the coming week.

In other news, it seems like the following white receivers have successfully made NFL rosters...

NE - Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman
DEN - Wes Welker, Erik Decker
CIN - Dane Sanzenbacher, Ryan Whalen
PHIL - Riley Cooper, Jeff Maehl
JAX - Jordan Shipley
DAL - Cole Beasley
GB - Jordy Nelson
MIA - Brian Hartline
BAL - Brandon Stokley
CLE - Josh Cooper
IND - Griff Whalen
KC - Devon Wylie
DET - Kris Durham
NYJ - Ryan Spadola
NO - Andy Tanner
BUF - Chris Hogan

I can't remember a time in the Modern Caste Era in which so many white WR's made opening day NFL rosters. Feel free to correct this list if I've missed any players or included guys that have actually been cut. 16/32 teams with at least one white WR, and 4 different teams kept two white receivers on the same roster.

Last edited:

dwid

Hall of Famer
WR Andy Tanner makes the team! BUT they released Jim Leonhard?? He led the team in tackles Thurs Nite....

Did not help JK Shaeffer either ...he led the team in tackles the other night too..hope he land on practice squad...

Ryan Spadola should stick for the NY Jets....

Disappointed w David Douglas...guess we should not be surprised....they pulled that crap w Chas Gessner back in 07'
and Leonhard had the only interception against a qb who will be on a roster this season. I think it might have been the only interception period butn ot sure. HOwever, there was one play where he got burnt....and typical dwfs went ape**** about it as if the other dbs didn't get burnt dozens and dozens of times this preseason. And from what I have read, Rob Ryan actually has little say on who stays, only suggestions. I guess they couldn't pull themselves to have a White receiver and a White db. I can't think back to a time where they had a White guy at both positions, even as backups.

Fortunately, I think Leonhard has a good shot of being picked up soon. I mean he can learn a playbook pretty fast, can play both fs and ss and is still fast.

Last edited:

referendum

Mentor
Did a quick count and it looks like 20 white WR's on final rosters, if Bryan Walters in fact makes Seahawks, and not counting white WR's on IR, such as Walter and DePalma, and Mariana.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Did a quick count and it looks like 20 white WR's on final rosters, if Bryan Walters in fact makes Seahawks, and not counting white WR's on IR, such as Walter and DePalma, and Mariana.
I noticed that the bubble boy White tailbacks and more high profile fullbacks seemed to all make it. In tribute to Chase Reynolds this is from Full Metal Jacket.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y0a_YwSiTM

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Pretty bummed the Raiders cut Conner Vernon - I thought he was a sure thing to make the team.

Maybe this shouldn't be in the "Purge" thread, but I'll put it here. Thursday, I actually went out and watched the first half of the Jet game and I thought Matt Simms looked real good. His throws were sharp and he knew where his receivers were and he had good pocket presence from what I saw and I was very impressed. Next day in the Post, they started the drumbeat about who'll start the first game for the Jets, Geno Smith or Mark Sanchez, as if the night before never happened. Not one word about the possibility of Simms starting the first game. I wonder how his father feels about his own son getting the royal shaft? Maybe Phil Simms will be forced to join the chorus yelling for either of the two minority QB's over his own son.

joegoofinoff...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here is a great article on Spadola. I had no idea his father committed suicide when he was a sophomore in high school. It looks like he has made his dad proud.

[h=1]Jets wide receiver Ryan Spadola realizes NFL dream seven years after his father's suicide changed his life[/h]
13335333-mmmain.jpg

Wide receiver Ryan Spadola, a Freehold Township High School graduate, made the Jets' roster as an undrafted free agent out of Lehigh. (Ed Murray/The Star-Ledger)

Print
By Darryl Slater/The Star-Ledger
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM, updated August 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Pinterest

Email

image.png

Pam Spadola’s phone rang Friday evening. Her son Ryan was on the other end, catching up with her as prepared to leave the Jets’ facility in Florham Park, following their final practice before the holiday weekend. Ryan spoke casually.
“Oh, hey, mom,â€￾ he said. “I wanted to give you a quick call and tell you I made the team.â€￾
This was a moment Ryan and his father, Donald, always dreamed about – Ryan as an NFL player. And he made the Jets, whose games Donald and Ryan attended together, driving 50 miles north from their home in Howell.
Donald was there when the dream began, standing behind Ryan before his first Pop Warner game. Donald smiled for a photo, his left arm resting on Ryan’s shoulder pads, his right around Ryan’s younger brother, Randy. Ryan looked into the camera, eye black streaked across his fair cheeks, with a focused, serious expression on his face.
Donald nurtured the dream. He coached Ryan’s teams. He told Ryan stories about his own high achievements, as a Secret Service agent assigned to protect retired presidents.
Then Donald left the dream behind. He committed suicide on Nov. 29, 2006, during Ryan’s sophomore year at Freehold Township High School. The family never saw it coming, Pam said. It remains inexplicable for Ryan.
13335346-large.jpg
Ryan Spadola, right, before his first Pop Warner game, with his father, Donald, and younger brother, Randy.
Courtesy of Ryan Spadola
Over the next seven years, Ryan poured himself into football. His mom took out student loans so he could attend Lehigh, where he starred as a wide receiver. The Jets signed him as an undrafted free agent who had to play special teams and fight for spot this preseason on the 53-man roster, which will be released Saturday night.
And finally, Friday night, there were Ryan’s words, long awaited, hitting his mom’s ear: “I made the team.â€￾
She wept.
---
Ryan kept his eyes peeled. It was Friday afternoon, the day before the Jets had to cut their roster from 75 players to 53, and an eerie feeling pervaded the team’s complex. During position meetings and in the locker room, guys on the fringe of the roster watched for the Turk, the person within an NFL organization who is responsible for telling players, “Coach wants to see you. Bring your playbook.â€￾
A night earlier, Ryan stood in the Jets’ locker room and held his play script under his left arm, unsure if he’d ever hold another one as a Jet. He had done everything he could to help himself, from the start of training camp in Cortland, N.Y., to Thursday’s preseason finale against Philadelphia at MetLife Stadium, not far from the spot where he and Donald sat for games. He earned a spot on the starting kickoff coverage and return units – a resume builder for an undrafted free agent. In four preseason games, he caught 13 passes for 216 yards and a touchdown, leading the Jets in receptions and yards.
But Ryan still wondered Friday afternoon, as he saw the Turk summon teammates. Ryan wanted to know his chances. He asked his position coach, Sanjay Lal. He inquired with equipment managers, who gather departing players’ gear. From every indication they gave him, he landed on the roster.
This job – and Ryan regards it as such – is a world apart from his father's life. But Donald also had to watch and listen, alert all the time. He started as a Secret Service field officer in Boston in 1976. He guarded Richard Nixon from 1982-85 and Gerald Ford from 1993-97, when he retired from the Secret Service and took a job as a criminal investigator in the Food and Drug Administration’s New York office.
Ryan was born in 1991, when Pam and Donald were shuttling between Rancho Mirage, Calif., and Vail, Colo., depending on which house Ford wanted to stay in. Pam considered it “like being on permanent vacation,â€￾ she said. By the time Ryan’s younger brother and sister were born, Pam had mastered the lifestyle.
“I learned how to fly in planes with three very small kids and not piss off too many people,â€￾ she said, laughing.
13335348-large.jpg
Ryan Spadola with his sister, Heather, and mom, Pam.
Courtesy of Ryan Spadola
Ryan got special tours of the White House and saw inside the presidential limousine, which his father walked alongside while on duty. Ryan met Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush. He watched the elder Bush play golf at his home in Maine, providing Ryan a glimpse into his dad’s unique world.
“It was pretty cool to see all those things that he did,â€￾ Ryan said.
---
The move to New Jersey meant a more stable job for Donald and settling in to a Pop Warner league for his sons. Donald spent his spare time officiating baseball, basketball and football games in Monmouth County.
But six days after Thanksgiving in 2006, Donald ended his life, at age 57.
“Pretty earth shattering,â€￾ Pam said. “Your whole world falls apart. You wonder how you’re going to pick up and move on. You can’t prepare for it and you can’t write the script for afterward.â€￾
Ryan recalled feeling “a lot of anger.â€￾ He didn’t play football as a sophomore, “to get things back to par with myself,â€￾ he said. He returned as a junior with greater resolve.
“From that day on, I took the sport even more to heart and played with a lot more emotion and a lot more drive,â€￾ he said.
Pam’s father, Arthur Madge, stood to support Ryan. Pam, now a single mom, pulled the family closer, intent on not letting her children stray into a troubled life that sometimes follows a tragic death.
“Every day I would just pray that I was doing the right thing,â€￾ she said. “You just hope you lay the right foundation. I think suddenly, we didn’t take things for granted and started making sure that each of us knew that we each loved each other.â€￾
Arthur died during Ryan’s junior year at Lehigh, but his grandmother, Gloria Madge, remained a regular at his games, watching from her wheelchair, greeting Ryan on the field afterward. She is 86 now, and Pam is intent on getting her to a Jets game.
Ryan surrounded himself with family Saturday. Pam made plans to celebrate, perhaps by taking a quiet ride on the family boat, down on the Manasquan River in Brick.
“I just want to see him continue to be as happy as he is today,â€￾ Pam said.
13335353-large.jpg
Ryan Spadola at a Lehigh game with his brother, Randy; grandmother, Gloria Madge; and sister, Heather.
Courtesy of Ryan Spadola
The Ryan his family will see in a Jets uniform this fall got here in spite of his father’s suicide, but also partly because of it, Ryan believes. It made him a stronger, more determined man, ready for the challenges he will face as a low-profile player trying to establish a role in his first NFL season.
“You can’t go back and you can’t change the past,â€￾ he said. “Obviously, you’ll never know the reasons why. But it was something that took me some time, and I was able to move on and I was able to grow from it. … It’s enabled me to get to this stage in my life.
“(The NFL) was always a dream of ours, but we never knew how it was going to happen. I think he’s definitely proud of me, and I wish he was here to share it with me. I can continue to play, and continue to live on the dream for him as well.â€￾

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Glad to see Spadola made the team. He was one of the best players during preseason. He is already better than most of the bums the Jets have at WR.