Andrew Golota is back!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Many former boxers end up as enforcers for shylocks, bookies and mobsters. In Toronto Eddie Melo(a Canadian middleweight who had big domestic level fights) was an enforcer for a mafia family. Even the sainted George Chuvalo collected for a shylock and back in the late 90's the local papers had a feature story about him forcing(politely) little old grannies and low income tenants out of a rent controlled building because the landlord wanted to sell the building to condo developers. It wasn't a highlight of his life as he had this sheepish look when he explained what he was doing for the landlord...:thumbdown:

Rocky shook down people for the mob too.

images

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Many former boxers end up as enforcers for shylocks, bookies and mobsters. In Toronto Eddie Melo(a Canadian middleweight who had big domestic level fights) was an enforcer for a mafia family. Even the sainted George Chuvalo collected for a shylock and back in the late 90's the local papers had a feature story about him forcing(politely) little old grannies and low income tenants out of a rent controlled building because the landlord wanted to sell the building to condo developers. It wasn't a highlight of his life as he had this sheepish look when he explained what he was doing for the landlord...:thumbdown:

But Golota wasn't a "former boxer", he was right in the middle of his career.

Marciano said that even his Mafia buddies tried to get him to throw a fight but he refused.

Mobsters have been all over this sport since the beginning. They like to bet on fights and they like to win their bets. They can't make sure their man wins, but they can make sure he loses.

white is right

Hall of Famer

Marciano said that even his Mafia buddies tried to get him to throw a fight but he refused.

Mobsters have been all over this sport since the beginning. They like to bet on fights and they like to win their bets. They can't make sure their man wins, but they can make sure he loses.
I guess you never know about the influence of the mob in boxing today(or within the last 20 years). But in Marciano's era the mob controlled boxing and worked with willing accomplishes in Jim Norris. Also Marciano was controlled by the mob but they had a front in man in Al Weill. He retired because he didn't want to kick back 50 percent of his earnings to the mobs stooge in Weil and only took cash payments so that Weill couldn't track his money that earned on the rubber chicken circuit. Ps Sergei Kobazev was muscle for the Russian mob and was killed in a dispute among Russian mobsters while he was still a ranked cruiserweight contender. He was able to beat John Ruiz at cruiserweight.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer

Werewolf, what do you think happened during Golota-Bowe 2. Do you think Golota deliberately threw those low blows or was he just that stupid? Golota was a head case. Remember when he bit that black guy?

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
The boxer Golota chomped on is a Tongan, Samson Po'uha. Andrew has never been properly credited with pioneerring the move, which Tyson would later use on Holyfield. Here's a vid. They replay the bite in the first minute of the clip.

http://youtu.be/AIVps-5N2Ok

Yep sorry. It was a Samoan guy I guess he bit. He did headbutt a negro. I don't know what Golota's deal was. Was he really a top 10 fighter during the mid and late 90's. His domination of Bowe would make us think that but how could he not even last a round against Lewis. Was it those injections he took or was it just the fact that he sucked?

The Hock

Master
Golota was a very good, talented fighter. Quick hands, moved well for this size, could box, had good power. From the neck down a very good fighter. From the neck up, though, he was Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.

Very interesting character, hence the replies to this thread.

I really hope somebody out there does a doc on him.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Golota was a very good, talented fighter. Quick hands, moved well for this size, could box, had good power. From the neck down a very good fighter. From the neck up, though, he was Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.

Very interesting character, hence the replies to this thread.

I really hope somebody out there does a doc on him.

I'm not so sure. How did lose in the first round to Lewis. Surely, if he was a very talented fighter he would have at least lasted till the mid rounds. He was only in his early thirties then. What about the Tyson fight? That was a washed up Tyson he couldn't beat. What about the Brewster fight? Another first round KO? That's the think, I don't think he was as good as we all thought. He could compete with guys like Ruiz and Byrd because they weren't guys that really knocked opponents out. Lewis and Brewster could. I was on this guys bandwagon like crazy. I was in high school during the last 90's when he was fighting. He let me down too many times.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Like I said, there's gotta be a lot we don't know about the inside story, what really went on with Golota. Yeah, he's a nut, yeah, he's mixed up with the mob, but still there's a lot of puzzles. Was he scripted to lose to Grant and just too dopey and bad of an actor and good of a boxer to avoid almost beating him in the early rounds? Did someone send him some kind of signal at the end to remind him what he's in there for? Likewise with Bowe, who was considered the top heavy in the world before meeting Golota which was supposed to be nothing but a warmup fight. And if Golota is afraid of big punchers, then what about Bowe?

In with Tyson all he wanted to do was go home, perhaps because he was injured by a punch in round one like he said - but he is so strong that he was actually accidentally winning round two without even trying.

The Lewis fight was the nuttiest of all. He had disappeared from the stadium before the fight and nobody knew where he was until he shows up right before fight time in a cop car! Later on he said he went on his own to some quack doctor who gave him an injection for his knee problem that almost killed him. That story makes no sense at all.

I've been around a lot of dope addicts in my life and I know what they look like, and as soon as I saw Golota climb in the ring all glassy eyed, the first thing I said to my girlfriend was - "He's been drugged".

ww

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I've been around a lot of dope addicts in my life and I know what they look like,
ww

You should associate with better people. :tsk:

Rebajlo

Mentor
I'm surprised that anyone is even interested in this money-grabbing circus starring two 45-year old geezers. Andrzej (****ing Andrew...:icon_rolleyes:) Golota always garners plenty of attention in Poland as everyone expects an "incident" wherever he turns up. But I'm sure there shall be a sell-out crowd plus plenty of idiots forking out their dough for pay-per-view... :der:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Like I said, there's gotta be a lot we don't know about the inside story, what really went on with Golota. Yeah, he's a nut, yeah, he's mixed up with the mob, but still there's a lot of puzzles. Was he scripted to lose to Grant and just too dopey and bad of an actor and good of a boxer to avoid almost beating him in the early rounds? Did someone send him some kind of signal at the end to remind him what he's in there for? Likewise with Bowe, who was considered the top heavy in the world before meeting Golota which was supposed to be nothing but a warmup fight. And if Golota is afraid of big punchers, then what about Bowe?

In with Tyson all he wanted to do was go home, perhaps because he was injured by a punch in round one like he said - but he is so strong that he was actually accidentally winning round two without even trying.

The Lewis fight was the nuttiest of all. He had disappeared from the stadium before the fight and nobody knew where he was until he shows up right before fight time in a cop car! Later on he said he went on his own to some quack doctor who gave him an injection for his knee problem that almost killed him. That story makes no sense at all.

I've been around a lot of dope addicts in my life and I know what they look like, and as soon as I saw Golota climb in the ring all glassy eyed, the first thing I said to my girlfriend was - "He's been drugged". There too many stories about Golota that he will eventually release a book that will be a best seller in Poland. I know he took steroids, he was drugged for the Lewis fight, he quit against Bowe in the second fight and against Grant(he also let a dead man clear his head in second round). Also on a side note his trainer Al Certo has alleged Mafia ties too... Who can forget the scene were Certo was flipping out trying to put the gum shield in Golota's mouth as he was shoved aside by Golota.

ww
There are too many stories about Golota, he will eventually release a book that will be a best seller in Poland. I know he took steroids, he was drugged for the Lewis fight, he quit against Bowe in the second fight and against Grant(he also let a dead man clear his head in second round). Also on a side note his trainer Al Certo has alleged Mafia ties too... Who can forget the scene where Certo was flipping out trying to put the gum shield in Golota's mouth as he was shoved aside by Golota. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yBhZcUVKOE

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer

I've been around a lot of dope addicts in my life and I know what they look like, and as soon as I saw Golota climb in the ring all glassy eyed, the first thing I said to my girlfriend was - "He's been drugged".

ww

He also had a seizure and was rushed to the hospital after the Lewis fight. Seems that injection really did something to him.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised that anyone is even interested in this money-grabbing circus starring two 45-year old geezers. Andrzej (****ing Andrew...:icon_rolleyes:) Golota always garners plenty of attention in Poland as everyone expects an "incident" wherever he turns up. But I'm sure there shall be a sell-out crowd plus plenty of idiots forking out their dough for pay-per-view... :der:

I don;'t really care about this fight. It is meaningless in the heavyweight division. Golota isn't even a top 50 fighter these days. I may watch it, just to see if Andrew does anything stupid.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
There are too many stories about Golota, he will eventually release a book that will be a best seller in Poland. I know he took steroids, he was drugged for the Lewis fight, he quit against Bowe in the second fight and against Grant(he also let a dead man clear his head in second round). Also on a side note his trainer Al Certo has alleged Mafia ties too... Who can forget the scene where Certo was flipping out trying to put the gum shield in Golota's mouth as he was shoved aside by Golota. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yBhZcUVKOE

Mafia mass murderer and later rat, Sam Gravano, said that Certo was connected with the Gambino crime family.

"During his testimony, Gravano dropped the names of numerous boxing people, including those of Marvin Hagler, Vito Antuofermo, promoter Don King and trainer Lou Duva, whom Gravano said was "close to the Genovese family."

Don King? I am shocked!

http://www.examiner.com/article/box...-certo-how-he-neutered-sammy-the-bull-gravano

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I guess you never know about the influence of the mob in boxing today(or within the last 20 years). But in Marciano's era the mob controlled boxing and worked with willing accomplishes in Jim Norris. Also Marciano was controlled by the mob but they had a front in man in Al Weill. He retired because he didn't want to kick back 50 percent of his earnings to the mobs stooge in Weil and only took cash payments so that Weill couldn't track his money that earned on the rubber chicken circuit. Ps Sergei Kobazev was muscle for the Russian mob and was killed in a dispute among Russian mobsters while he was still a ranked cruiserweight contender. He was able to beat John Ruiz at cruiserweight.

Was Kobozev actually working for what the media calls the Russian Mafia? All I read was that he was a security guard in a Russian place in Brooklyn and ejected one of the mobsters, and then they later murdered him, but maybe you know more about that than I do.

The so-called Russian Mafia is in fact Jewish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FG_bACkcDL8

white is right

Hall of Famer
Was Kobozev actually working for what the media calls the Russian Mafia? All I read was that he was a security guard in a Russian place in Brooklyn and ejected one of the mobsters, and then they later murdered him, but maybe you know more about that than I do.

The so-called Russian Mafia is in fact Jewish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FG_bACkcDL8
Yes largely Jews or partial Jews and many Armenians and Georgians are lumped in with the "Russians". I remember reading in Ring Magazine or an NYC fish wrap that he was a bodyguard for mobsters. Maybe I was wrong?

werewolf

Hall of Famer
I never saw this before. Andrew getting interviewed on tv the day after Bowe 1. He said he hit Bowe below the belt intentionally, but then he changed it. Maybe there was a language problem, or a goofiness problem, or maybe he was just nervous. Nice tv outfit. The guy's an original. I watched Golota-Bowe 1 again to see if it might turn out differently this time, but unfortunately it didn't. Bowe's shorts were very high. Bowe's head isn't even normal for a negro. It has a giant cease in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-VUWC_q34k

werewolf

Hall of Famer
Besides all the good heavyweight fights Saturday there's this...but 2 days before the fight BoxRec still lists it as

"bout subject to change & commission approval"

Golota is still popular in Poland and big crowds have been going to his training sessions.

Saleta is Jewish. I remember watching him fight a long time ago, against Oliver McCall, that must have been atleast 5 or 6 years ago, possibly even more. I think I was a teenager when watching this fight, it may have even been almost 7 or 8 years ago. Saleta was knocked out in that fight. Saleta tries hard and gives a strong effort, but honestly, he's not very good.

If Golota is even 50% of the fighter he used to be, he should handle Saleta very easily by knockout
. However, I think Golota has badly faded and because of that, it will probably be a closer or somewhat close fight. I still like Golota's chances by KO though. He's a ten times better fighter than Saleta, so he should win it.

Prediction: Golota Late TKO or Decision! Had this fight happened a few years back Golota would have won by early (possibly first round) TKO, but as it stands I see the fight making mid or late rounds with Golota winning.

As I stated earlier in this thread, Golota is one of my favourite boxers and kind of a personal hero of mine, so in a way, I must admit I am happy to see him making a comeback! I just think Golota is awesome. One more comeback! Probably won't make it far, but still its fun to watch and I'm a huge Golota supporter :)

Last edited: