Andrew Bogut

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bogut was ejected from a summer league game after going after C John Edwards of the Pacers after Edwards "inadvertently shoved him to the ground," as an AP report stated it.

That's a good sign that Bogut has the mentaltoughness to go with his physical talent. He's going to be tested physically by a lot of NBA players, and few will bewhite likeEdwards.

KG2422

Mentor
Bogut was 6 of 9 shooting with 13 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks in his NBA debut. Not bad.
smiley20.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bogut had 17 rebounds last night. The Bucks are not breaking him in slowly, he's had a decent amount of minutes his first two games. He's rarely gone to the hoop, but instead has concentrated on moving the ball, setting picks, screens and hustling around a lot on defense. His passing is strong and he seems to have a feel for the game at this early stage. He's missed more free throws than I would have expected but he seems to have a knack for positioning himself for boards already.

JD074

Master
His international experience, playing against a lot of pro players, has certainly helped his development quite nicely.

white tornado

Mentor
Bogut had 19 points and 14 boards plus 2 key blocks.

hedgehog

Mentor
The unathletic white stiff scored 18 points and 17 rebounds tonight.-just imagine what he could do if he was athletic.

guest301

Hall of Famer
He's already the second best player on the bucks, behind Michael Redd. That may not be for long. It's also encouraging to see how much time luke jackson and robert swift have been getting lately, hope it continues.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bogut is starting to frustrate me. He needs to shoot the ball much more than he does. He is the consummate team player, but in this day and age nobody appreciates that. Tonight is a good example. He played more minutes than he usualy does, hauled in 13 rebound and scored only 6 points. The team took 81 shots, but he tossed up only 5.I saw a game the other day and he took 3 hard charging fouls in one half, all called in his favor.But he hurt one of his legs badly before the season opened and was expected to miss a month or two, he doesn't need to by banging his body all over the floor. He spends all his time setting up everyone else on the team. He shoots at a high percentage, so he should put up at least 12, 15 or 20 shots a night.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
excellent points, Bart.

Bogut is suffering from many of the same problems almost all whites do when dealing with blacks... they expect the same type of treatment they give. what a novel idea!
smiley5.gif
he's being unselfish in order to help his teammates and get wins (i remember noticing how good a passer and help defender he was in college), but his black teammates don't do the same and the coaches don't demand it from them.

unfortunately, blacks don't play by the same rules and often aren't even playing the same game as white people, in basketball and in life.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Tonight Bogut playeda little over 30 minutes had 13 rebounds and scored 16 points and was 7-12 from the field. A big shooting night for him, since he only averages 8 attempts per game.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bogut has shooting more lately. He was 8-15 tonight which is not a lot for most guys, but he has never taken more than 15 in his career to date. He played 41 minutes which is a huge increase from his 30 average. The Bucks are banged up, so he had to spend more time on the court. His rebounding has been getting better and this evening he had 18 while playing agisnt Chris Bosh, who is an excelllent rebounder. Maybe Andrew has been eating his Wheaties.

Bart

Hall of Famer
What the hell is going on? Bogut tonight against Philly was 9-14 and scored 20 pts,and he also pulled down 24 rebounds! He had 18 boards last night. I'm going to have to watch the next local telecast.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Thank goodness the Bucks have had injury problems. Michael Redd is still hurt and that helps Bogut, who finally gets a chance to shoot the ball himself. Most of the time he sets picks at the free throw line and dishes off the ball to the guys whoheave itevery time they get a touch. Third game in a row Bogut has played aggressively. Today's line 12-15, 27 Pts, 11 Rbs, 6 Ast's and 3 blocks.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I don't follow the NBA at all, but from what I'm reading here it seems like Bogut is logging a bunch of double doubles. Is he playing that well? What kind of press is he getting? My only sports news outside of reading about the NFL and MMA on the web comes from ESPN radio, and of course they never mention Bogut.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Shogun, Bogut doesn't get a lot of attention.The tv play by play announcers like his game, but the rest of the press doesn't focus on him. I had to laugh at a comment he made after a reporter asked him about his 20 + 20 gameafter a Bucks loss. He said he'd much rather have 10 rebounds and 10 points and a win.Of course, most athletes parrot that kind of statement, but he actually believes it, which means he may go back to blending in with the woodwork when the -stars- get healthy. I just checked his stats, every area has seen improvement over last year.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bogut is up to 17th in the NBA in rebounds per game, at 8.8

David Lee is 7th, at 10.7. Andris Biedrins ranks 13th (9.5 rpg), and Dirk is 14th (9.5 rpg).

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bogut was fined for flipping off a fan who had been heckling him. The Bucks announced today that Terry Stotts the head coach had been fired. Great news!I listened to an interview with the Bucks play by play manwho said Andrew has been very frustrated lately and went on to take up the cause for Bogut.He said the philosophy of the coach was to have Andrerw spend 75% of the time playing high post, passing the ball to others.Bogut almost never gets a play called for him, which is ridiculous for such a high pick.Bogut has shown he can be productive when given the opportunity in the low post, so he suggested he should get more chancesandbe more involved in the offense. I've been saying the same thing. Bogutrarely shoots the ball. He has a very good percenatage and needs to be more SELFISH.

Andrew Bogut played his BEST game of the season:

20 points
20 Rebounds
8/9 FT's - about time he shot WELL from the line

Milwaukee won 121-103 over Indiana.

Great game from Bogut.

j41181

Master
Bogut blasts Aussie pro basketball league

Bogut says NBL admins messed league up

Mar 18, 2009 (by Eurobasket News)

Superstar basketball export Andrew Bogut (212-F/C-84, college: Utah) has slammed the game's Australian officials, urging them to hustle with their revamp. The 213cm Milwaukee Bucks centre said he would eventually like to play at home, but he could not return with the league in such disarray. 'Once my playing career is over, yeah, but there's no sense coming back and playing in a league that's not stable,' Bogut said[read more]
Superstar basketball export Andrew Bogut (212-F/C-84, college: Utah) has slammed the game's Australian officials, urging them to hustle with their revamp.

The 213cm Milwaukee Bucks centre said he would eventually like to play at home, but he could not return with the league in such disarray.

'Once my playing career is over, yeah, but there's no sense coming back and playing in a league that's not stable,' Bogut said.

'I'm playing for the best league in the world, so there's no way I would come back to play in the NBL. Down the track I would definitely like to be involved somehow.'

Bogut, from Endeavour Hills, felt lucky to be playing in the NBA, and hoped the elite Australian competition would emerge stronger.

The 24-year-old blamed administrative bungling for the NBL's failure, saying basketball enjoyed high participation rates among juniors.

'For that not to translate into people coming to games, that means something has gone wrong in the middle,' Bogut said.

'They need to figure that out real quick, but there's definitely a fan base there.

'To say that basketball is dead in Australia is a joke, but you look at the junior players playing the game and it's ridiculous that hasn't come up to the NBL.'

Bogut, who has just signed a five-year deal with the Bucks worth a reported $82 million, has always been a passionate advocate of the sport in Australia, and has donated cash to struggling teams.

Next month, he will hold a fundraiser in Milwaukee for victims of the bushfires.

While he had no plans to own a franchise in the new competition, he felt buoyed by plans to have Fox Sports broadcast live games under a $35 million deal over five years as part of the proposed relaunch.

'I think it's going to work out in time. I don't think it's going to be a quick fix,' Bogut said. 'It is going to be a five or six-year process of getting the right people on board.

'There will still be a league, but how good it gets and how quickly is something else.

'You can't have people owning teams as a tax write-off for their other endeavours, which is what happened with the Sydney Kings and the Brisbane Bullets.

'It's about stability.'

Bogut has been nursing a stress fracture to his back for more than a month.

'I've been on complete rest, just a bit of stretching and exercising, so it's been pretty frustrating, but I've got to make sure I do it properly,' he said.Edited by: j41181

He's seems really cool and is not afraid to speak his mind. Didn't he come out and say something to the effect that too many NBA players are more worried about their cars, clothes and stereos than basketball?

j41181

Master
Fightingtowin said:
He's seems really cool and is not afraid to speak his mind. Didn't he come out and say something to the effect that too many NBA players are more worried about their cars, clothes and stereos than basketball?
Did you mean this?

Bogut on NBA and US culture

Bogut on NBA and U.S. Culture

Published by D.K. Wilson on June 24, 2007

"The public's image of NBA players is true. A lot of them get caught up in the hype and do video clips with rappers and all that crap..."

I agree with the person who uttered these words. That's right, I a-gree â€â€￾- from his perspective, I totally agree.Why? Most importantly, there's more to the statement than meets the eye. Next, from this person's ultimate insider perspective, he's more than likely 100% accurate in his perceptions. Finally, outside of a minor Internet day-and-half mention and one or two sentences saying not a whole lot, quiet has accompanied what this NBA player said in an interview.

Who is the player? Andrew Bogut of the Milwaukee Bucks. The seven-foot center (12.3 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 3.0 apg) just completed his second season in the NBA as a starter. Bogut is back home in Australia for the summer and was the subject of a feature story by Sydney Morning Herald writer David Sygall.

Now, before everybody goes off on either Bogut, me or both, here's more of Bogut's statement:

"They want bling bling all over themselves and drive fast cars. But that's just the way the culture is in America - if you've got it flaunt it and if you don't, you can't."

Among Europeans, what are the most common complaints about American tourists? We're flashy. We're loud and obnoxious. We lack manners. We act like everyone should speak English and get an attitude when they don't. More from Bogut:

"I'm not into jewelry. I've got some earrings but they're not too expensive. There are guys who drop a hundred grand for a chain. The public's got it right - a lot of NBA stars are arrogant and like to spend lots of money and have lots of girlfriends and all that.

The smarter guys don't do that. They like to live a regular life and want to retire and be set up. About 80 per cent of them go broke by the time they retire or come close to it.

We have compulsory tutoring each week where they teach you to manage your money and they tell you about all the things that can happen to you, people trying to take advantage of you, but it's amazing how many guys totally ignore it. I guess if you're a normal person and suddenly you're getting $10 million a year, it can go to your head.

But it's just the culture over there. I would never want my child to be brought up in an environment like that, where if you have money you're supposed to flaunt it and make everyone jealous.

The American attitude is 'We're the best'. That's why the NBA guys who come from other countries, the Europeans, all sort of stick together away from the game."

Societal differences, cultural differences. We live a land that actively seeks to wipe its history from its peoples' consciousness. It's called "American gauche."

We got things. Cars. Houses. Jewelry. You know that "New York attitude" crap we laud so much? The rest of the world laughs at us for holding onto that attitude as a positive; we're such suckers.

So, of course our athletes will mirror the remainder of American society. Bogut tells the truth - and the part about how many players, by the time their run as players is done, are broke, is a sad truth.

I have no beef with Bogut.Edited by: j41181

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He couldn't have said it better. He might have added though that it is mostly black us b-ball players that are that way. Most of the white players are more down to earth. They are exceptions, but not that many so far thankfully. We don't need a bunch of ghetto acting whites to represent the league. The nba could also use more players like Tim Duncan and Grant Hill. They like our players carry themselves with class and integrity.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Bogut is starting to come through.  He is averaging 15 ppg and 9 rebounds.  He is also shooting 54 % from the field.  2 blocks per game is also impressive.

j41181

Master
The classic example of a BOOMER!

By far Andrew Bogut's BEST GAME ever!

31 points ((14-19 FG's, 3-5 FT's)
18 rebounds
3 assists
1 steal
3 blocks

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a game. That might just be the best all around game of his young career so far. Monster numbers by Andrew. Just give me Alexander on this team and I will be a very happy fan. I just wish they would show the Bucks more on TV. For that to happen, they need to win alot more games. They are in 2nd place in their division as of right now.Edited by: white lightning