All Star game

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Will there be cries that the American League is "racist"? Only one black in the starting lineup, and he's half white. The AL, with whites batting third through ninth,is the white friendliest All Star team I can remember in a long time:

Ichuru Suzuki
Derek Jeter
Joe Mauer
Mark Teixeira
Jason Bay
Josh Hamilton
Evan Longoria
Aaron Hill
Roy Halladay

It was only a few years ago that the AL was dominated by non-whites.The powers that be in MLBare definitely failing intheir goal of making the sport as non-white dominated as football and basketball.

Here's the NL starting lineup:

Hanley Ramirez
Chase Utley
Albert Pujols
Ryan Braun
Raul Ibanez
David Wright
Shane Victorino
Yadier Molina
Tim Lincecum

Four whites starting,four hispanics of varying hues, and one Hawaiian. Derek Jeter, who has a white mother, is the only American "black" starting for either league. Another new low in baseball for the "world's greatest athletes." Time to commissionsome more studies on racism in baseballand fund some more new baseball academies in the inner cities. Expect Joe Morgan and friendsto be choking back tears the next three days.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
WA33 just go to your local cyc like i did and im sure you will hear plenty. One of the directors(black) was talking to another black man from down south about the quality of play in SWAC conference ala Grambling State, Alcorn State. The one replied "it must be good to see all those borthas playin ball". The other replied "we would have made the big tourney but black pitchers are hard to come by". You can't have your cake and eat it too. A 13% African American population cannot dominate all professional sports as they would like. sorry for the rant.

It so refreshing to finally see players who are clean and natural being able to show off their talents. They will no longer be overshadowed by steroid pumping, homerun hitting machines!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest omission is Ian Kinsler not making the AL team. He doesn't have a high batting average but has been a beast in every other category. Aaron Hill is having an excellent season for the Blue Jaysbut Kinsler should at least be on the team as a backup.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Some very good news. Just look at College Baseball. The Major Leagues should look similar but the powers that be will not let that happen.

foobar75

Master
So if we include the pitchers/reserves on both teams, it seems to me this is largely a white affair. Very refreshing and good to see.

So, the NHL, MLB, MLS, UFC, NASCAR/IRL, everything I can think of, except the NBA and the NFL is dominated by whites. Good stuff!Edited by: foobar75

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wish the National League had more white representation in the All Star game, but maybe that will change soon too. There is still a lot of mass voting taking place for non-whites.

Europe

Mentor
foobar75 said:
So if we include the pitchers/reserves on both teams, it seems to me this is largely a white affair. Very refreshing and good to see.

So, the NHL, MLB, MLS, UFC, NASCAR/IRL, everything I can think of, except the NBA and the NFL is dominated by whites. Good stuff!

People don't like that there are a lot of whites in the MLS, especially American whites. They keep talking about getting more blacks and foreigners into the MLS. It's like if there are American whites, it's not a good league.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
It's quite amazing how prone to very long winning streaks the All Star game has become.From 1963 to 1982the NL won 19 out of 20; now they haven't won one since 1996!

Don Wassall said:
It's quite amazing how prone to very long winning streaks the All Star game has become.  From 1963 to 1982 the NL won 19 out of 20; now they haven't won one since 1996!

During the 1960's and 70's, sportswriters would say that the NL won the All Star game because they had more black players.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
sport historian said:
During the 1960's and 70's, sportswriters would say that the NL won the All Star game because they had more black players.

A lot of these white writersare nostalgic forthe past, regularly harkening back to Mays, Gibson, McCovey, Aaron, Clemente, etc. They thought the upsurge in black talent in the 1960s would continue indefinitely and can't accept that it turned out to be only a shortperiod of time in the 60+ years since Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier. It's similar to the way white writers (and many white fans) pine for the "good old days" in boxing when it seemed like blacks would rule the sport, especially the heavyweight division, forever. Edited by: Don Wassall

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes I remember reading this. They lumped Black Latinos in with Black Americans. Yet the best team in baseball(in the early 60's) was virtually all white(Yankees). That was conveniently ignored.

Skipperron

Guru
white lightning said:
Some very good news. Just look at College Baseball. The Major Leagues should look similar but the powers that be will not let that happen.

Whites dominate college ball, but still blacks are placed high on the list when rating college players in a bid to insure they are drafted high and can then talk about their superior athletic abilities. And the thing that irritates me the most is; whites dominate the college baseball scene so now major league teams are spending tons of money and time to scour the world looking for players of color to replenish the majors with. Why else do you think there is such a push to find "talent" the world over? I think it is hilarious when we go to countries that are overwhelmingly white, sign a player from there and find out we found the one black in the whole country.