Ali Turns 65!!!!!!!!

Iron

Guru
I have to say,i quite liked Ali. I understand all the points made by the guys in this thread and the media has jumped on his legacy turning him into a saint like figure as they do so many other undeserving Blacks like luther King and Mandella. But one of the things i always admired about him was the fact he never dated or fathered any children with White women as far as i know, unlike so many other Black athletes despite most probably having opportunities to do so when taking his wealth and status into account.He viewed Black women as the most beautiful creatures on earth.Ken Nortan,a rival of his in the seventies,a body beautiful type who fancied himself as a ladies man,dated a fair few attractive White women models,actresses etc,even played Mandingo in some 70's production
smiley11.gif
was relentlessly slated by Ali as a sellout for doing so.

He had alot of respect for his White opponents like Quarrey and Cooper,never showboated,humiliated or spoke bad of them crediting Cooper with landing the hardest punch he's taken though i suspect he was hit harder by Frazier,Foreman.Despite the boasts,cockyness and rymes and this is something Cooper picked up on,he made it funny.The twinkle in the eye,the comedy timing,its all in the delivery which other Black athletes past and present have tried to replicate.Needless to say,they come off as insolant and dour as they dont have the smarts or natural delivery. One of the funniest things he come out with was a comment he made in a post Foreman fight press conference not to Cossell's face but about Cossell who pre fight dismissed him stating he's not the same man he was five years ago and picking Foreman as all sports pundits did by demolition.He responded saying 'well Cossell i spoke to your wife and she said you were'nt the same man you were two years ago
smiley36.gif
His delivery made it so you could'nt help but laugh.In the real world,i think guys like Ali and other nationalist Blacks who hold similar views regarding race to their White equivalents are an asset

cutty

Guru
I have to give credit to anyone for being willing to face prison for their beliefs whether I agree with them or not.

There is a lot of hard talking whites that won't even stand up to the puke media and defend what they've said and believe recently. They get on their knees and and beg for mercy and apologize. It's hard to say, but they could learn a lesson from Ali.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Iron said:
I have to say,i quite liked Ali. I understand all the points made by the guys in this thread and the media has jumped on his legacy turning him into a saint like figure as they do so many other undeserving Blacks like luther King and Mandella. But one of the things i always admired about him was the fact he never dated or fathered any children with White women as far as i know, unlike so many other Black athletes despite most probably having opportunities to do so when taking his wealth and status into account.He viewed Black women as the most beautiful creatures on earth.Ken Nortan,a rival of his in the seventies,a body beautiful type who fancied himself as a ladies man,dated a fair few attractive White women models,actresses etc,even played Mandingo in some 70's production
smiley11.gif
was relentlessly slated by Ali as a sellout for doing so.

He had alot of respect for his White opponents like Quarrey and Cooper,never showboated,humiliated or spoke bad of them crediting Cooper with landing the hardest punch he's taken though i suspect he was hit harder by Frazier,Foreman.Despite the boasts,cockyness and rymes and this is something Cooper picked up on,he made it funny.The twinkle in the eye,the comedy timing,its all in the delivery which other Black athletes past and present have tried to replicate.Needless to say,they come off as insolant and dour as they dont have the smarts or natural delivery. One of the funniest things he come out with was a comment he made in a post Foreman fight press conference not to Cossell's face but about Cossell who pre fight dismissed him stating he's not the same man he was five years ago and picking Foreman as all sports pundits did by demolition.He responded saying 'well Cossell i spoke to your wife and she said you were'nt the same man you were two years ago
smiley36.gif
His delivery made it so you could'nt help but laugh.In the real world,i think guys like Ali and other nationalist Blacks who hold similar views regarding race to their White equivalents are an asset
That Cosell line was the greatest comedic line ever delivered by a non comedian. I really think if he hadn't suffered brain damage he could have done stand up after his career was over. I also loved the Cosell piece for ABC where he stated before the fight that Ali was going to his execution against Foreman. The serious dour look that Cosell had was priceless.
smiley36.gif

Cassius clay never suffered for his beliefs. He never went to prison and the army did not want him.

Contrast this to Lew Ayres, who sacrificed his movie career for his pacifist beliefs, but still served as a medic in a comabat unit. Ayres is a man, Calay is a paloozka.

Freedom

Mentor
My great grandfather was certain that Ali-Liston II was fixed. Liston looked like a good fighter on tapes sometimes though.
Ali didn't have to be so anarchist. He also had a tough bout with Mildenberger(spelling?)
Whether you like him or hate him, one thing is pretty certain. He didn't do anything to hurt whites in boxing, nor did he appear to be anti white as far as sports go. He said good things about Schmelling, who was regarded as the evil champion because of forced Nazi ties, when he fought Lewis.

JD074

Master
I don't have a problem with him dodging the draft; the draft was immoral, and disobeying an unjust law is not a bad thing. I still don't like him though.
smiley15.gif