Alfonso Soriano, knucklehead

Realgeorge

Mentor
"Wah! Wah! Wah! I refuse to play Left Field in Major League Baseball and get paid ten million dollars a year. Why, it's an insult! I'm a Second Baseman! To my mansion I will go, there to sulk!" [Alfonso]

It's hard to believe that we have a competitor for Barry Bonds' title of Biggest Knucklehead in pro baseball. Alfonso is working hard at it! Refuses to play an assigned position, for Frank Robinson no less! More delicious irony, the uppity Mestizo afflete telling the grouchy Black manager whereupon to stick it.

Some years ago when Soriano was hitting the ball well with the Champion New York Yankees, I was wondrous as to why the team let him go. Obviously Joe Torre had caught a whiff of the young man's bravado and arrogance. He would rather take his chances with Bubby Crosby and {sp?) Cairo. Now the poor Nationals in DC have grabbed the big bat of Alfonso only get a big spit in the eye.

How many of us at CasteFootball would gladly take a minimal "contract" to play in a big-name professional sport? With Alfonso and the myriad whining overpaid weasels of pro sports, we have little sympathy. This one takes the cake ... Even one of the poutiest curmudgeons of all, Jose Canseco, eagerly took the mound for his chance to pitch in the major leagues, about eight years ago. He did so, and injured himself severely in the process. More importantly, all but a tiny handful of ballplayers in MLB do exactly as they're told when ordered by the manager. They make their money pitching and hitting and fielding -- not managing.

Interesting that the DC press is largely hostile to Soriano in this matter. My take is that Frank Robinson, the black manager, is God with the mainstream media, and any and all risk their wrath by going against this God. Alfonso, being Mestizo, is only in second place with the black-adoring DC sports media. So Alfonso gets a finger in the eye.

If Alfonso were still with the Rangers and telling the white manager where to go, he would be a great hero and lionized for his courage.

Alfonso, you're a knuckleheadEdited by: Realgeorge

bigunreal

Mentor
I think you're right about the somewhat critical press response to this typically greedy, inane behavior on the part of Soriano- it definitely is because the manager who has to deal with him is black. Can you imagine what Ty Cobb or Babe Ruth would think of some idiot-who probably doesn't even speak English fluently-refusing to play a different position in the field? Oh, yeah, while being paid a yearly salary of ten million dollars?

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Stuff like this doesn't surprise me anymore--but it should.