Alexander Povetkin

white is right

Hall of Famer
Povetkin must face Hashim Rahman within 120 days. Ridiculous but Povetkin should KO him early.

[h=1]Povetkin must face Rahman within 120 days[/h] After his all action win over Marco Huck, WBA heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin will next make his WBA mandatory defense against #1 rated Hasim Rahman. The Rahman Camp agreed to step aside provided that the Povetkin-Huck winner face Rahman within a period not to exceed 120 days. Povetkin promoter Kalle Sauerland stated, “We will sit down with everybody to see what the future holds.â€￾
Rahman’s #1 WBA rating is a topic of some controversy as the 39-year-old former WBC champion hasn’t faced a world rated opponent since losing to Wladimir Klitschko in 2008. WBA executive vice president Gilberto J. Mendoza addressed the issue Saturday night on Twitter. “I understand your feelings,â€￾ he tweeted, “but how can we deny the rights of a gentlemen who earned his status and earns a living boxing?â€￾
I don't even think Hasbeen has a punchers chance in this fight. His shots since the Lennox Lewis debacle have been slower than a sun dial and his work rate has been decreasing too. He should get rescued by the referee at some point in the middle rounds or his corner won't let him come out for the next round.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
"Afterwards, I'd LOVEEEE to see Povetkin fight Helenius. That would be a great fight! "

I'd pick the Finn. I don't think Povetkin is that great.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
How did Rahman (BoxRec ranking #62) get into the mix? 5 will get you 10 money changed hands under the table. Boxing is so crooked.

Westside

Hall of Famer
If Povetkin doesn't utterly destroy Rockhead, then his career is going nowhere fast!

Gibbon

Guru
Thanks for the video Scroat. Povetkin is a beast. Though I tend to agree with everyone else, no one is close to the K brothers.

scroat

Guru
Definitely. The K brothers are all time greats. I just haven't been able to find such a well edited highlight reel involving them, suprisingly. If you know of any please share.

white is right

Hall of Famer

werewolf

Hall of Famer
This should be a very easy walkover for Povetkin, and if it isn't it will be pathetic. Rahman hasn't beaten anyone good in eleven years, since catching Lewis. Maskaev deserves a title shot more than Rahman even though he's retired.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Of course, I am cheering for our man Povetkin here. But I actually hope a good young white fighter like Helenius, Pulev, Price or Fury dethrones him.

I had high hopes but since winning the gold medal in 2004 he has not been too impressive and his best win remains the close fight over Chagaev.

Povetkin is strong, tough and determined but I just don't see him as a legit heir to the Klitschkos (but then again who is).

Rahman is dangerous as he can punch. Also, he seems to fight better when heavier (like his rematch against Tua).

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Of course, I am cheering for our man Povetkin here. But I actually hope a good young white fighter like Helenius, Pulev, Price or Fury dethrones him.

I had high hopes but since winning the gold medal in 2004 he has not been too impressive and his best win remains the close fight over Chagaev.

Povetkin is strong, tough and determined but I just don't see him as a legit heir to the Klitschkos (but then again who is).

Rahman is dangerous as he can punch. Also, he seems to fight better when heavier (like his rematch against Tua).

I am disappointed with Povetkin as well. I was very high on him a few years back but he is never in great shape and refuses to fight the K brothers. If you want to be a real champion you have to beat one of the Klitschkos. Don't just parade around with you paper title.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I am disappointed with Povetkin as well. I was very high on him a few years back but he is never in great shape and refuses to fight the K brothers. If you want to be a real champion you have to beat one of the Klitschkos. Don't just parade around with you paper title.
Povetkin looked like a potential Joe Frazier to Klitschko's Ali. Around the Chambers fight he seemed to have hit the wall and he hasn't looked the same since. That said Rahman looks like your average bouncer at a strip club. If he doesn't ko him or force the referee to stop the fight by the middle of the fight this will be nearly as bad as losing.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Povetkin looked like a potential Joe Frazier to Klitschko's Ali. Around the Chambers fight he seemed to have hit the wall and he hasn't looked the same since. That said Rahman looks like your average bouncer at a strip club. If he doesn't ko him or force the referee to stop the fight by the middle of the fight this will be nearly as bad as losing.

He obviously has knows he has no chance against either Klitschko brother. This fight is an embarrassment because Rahman is old, fat, and washed up. Povetkin should be fighitng one of the many talented white fighters out there.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Oh my God, Rahman is slurring his words like a bum on the street. This dude needs to retire.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
from fightnews.com

Povetkin annihilates Rahman

In a horrible mismatch, WBA “regular” heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin (25-0, 17 KOs) scored an easy second round TKO over badly faded 39-year-old mandatory challenger Hasim Rahman (50-8-2, 41 KOs) on Saturday night at the Alsterdorf Sporthalle in Hamburg, Germany. Povetkin rocked Rahman in the second then teed off at will until referee Gustavo Padilla waved it off. Time was 1:46. “The Rock” was never in the fight.

Last edited:

The Hock

Master
Haseem "Snack" Rahman already had noodle legs trying to walk down the steps on his way to the ring. And no music for his ringwalk. Couldn't the string quartet (string quartet?) have played him a little ditty? Rahman looked lost but he did manage to find his way to the ring, unfortunately. Really the ref could have helped him keep some of his remaining brain cells by asking him where he was before the first bell rang and then maybe waved it off if he couldn't answer.

Seriously, I think about half of us Caste Footballers could have beaten this version of Rahman. He's that shot.

Sean Pean had better chances on his walk to the gurney in "Dead Man Walking."

Last edited:

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Rahman also sounded bad. He always had a Negro dialect but his voice now sounds like a bum outside the liquor store. He is 39 but talks like he is 69.

The dude needs to retire now. As it is he will likely be like Muhammed Ali and Meldrick Taylor in 5-6 years or so.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Lets be clear, Rahman was a dead man stumbling. But Povetkin looked to be in great condition and quick in his footwork before giving Rockhead a serious headache. But seriously, now he needs to step it up and take on the 2nd tier of heavyweights and bomb them out. Like Fury or Helieneus or even Haye. That fight would be explosive if the Haye who beat down chimpsora showed up.