Alex Smith

sunshine

Mentor
Smith signed with the 49'ers and looks to be the starting QB. He may be the antidote to all this Vick media hype bs etc. Smith is probably already one of the top 2 or 3 pure athletes playing QB. He is 6'4" and is blessed with a lot of talent. Only lacks a bazooka arm but so did Montana. My guess is he will be the talk of the NFL. A born leader with smarts up the ying yang this guy looks to be the real deal. In otherwords get out of the friggen way Vick.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was watching NFL Live on ESPN last night, and Mike "Dumbo the Elephant" Golic was asked to rate Smith's upcoming rookie season on a scale of 0 to 10, zero being Ryan Leaf (it's never Akili Smith), and ten being Big Ben (13-0 as a starter). Dumbo predicted that Alex's season will merit a 4. I bet it will be better than that even though the 49ers are woefully lacking in the WR department with TE Eric Johnson being their best receiving threat.Smith has the physical and mental talent, as Sunshine mentions. Graduating from college in two years isone amazing feat!

kevin

Guru
In my opinion smith is a very good athlete and is ideal for a west coast offense much moreso the micheal vick. I would both to judege him based on this season anyway. He has nobody to throw to and no defense he really shouldn't even be starting untilhe can learn the system. I think if he can get 4 or five wins for this team he will be an 8.

robcat

Guru
I agree Kevin
smiley20.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Does anyone see any comparisons between Steve Young and
Alex Smith.Young was a little faster but they are both
great athletes & competetors.It would be great to see the
49ers get back to a playoff team on a consistant basis
like in the 80's & 90's.Give this kid some time and they
should be just fine.

IceSpeed2

Guru
Young and Smith both played for UTAH schools.
Smith, I thought, looked a little faster on TV than Young. Maybe
not down the field, but at least in the pocket. Quarterbacks like
these two resemble Otto Graham.