African-American sues NASCAR...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/06/10/ nascar_0611.html

Ex-racing official files $250M lawsuit against NASCAR

Suit alleges discrimination, harassment and wrongful termination

Associated Press

Published on: 06/10/08

A former racing official is suing NASCAR for $250 million, alleging racial and sexual discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

Mauricia Grant, who is black, worked as a technical inspector responsible for certifying cars in NASCAR's second-tier Nationwide Series from January 2005 until she was fired last October.

Grant alleged she was referred to as "Nappy Headed Mo" and "Queen Sheba," by co-workers, was often told she worked on "colored people time" and was frightened by one official who routinely made references to the Ku Klux Klan.

NASCAR officials were not immediately available for comment.

Grant said she was subjected to sexual advances from male co-workers, including two who allegedly exposed themselves to her, and graphic and lewd jokes.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, lists multiple instances of alleged sexual harassment and racial discrimination.

"NASCAR perpetuated, condoned and actively participated in perverted and disgusting sexual conduct designed to demean and diminish (Grant) and the handful of other women employed by NASCAR as officials," according to the suit.

In the lawsuit, Grant said she complained numerous times to her supervisors about the way she was treated, to no avail. On one occasion, Grant said Nationwide Series director Joe Balash, her immediate supervisor, was dismissive of her complaints, explaining her co-workers were "former military guys" with a rough sense of humor. "You just have to deal with it," she says Balash told her.

Another time, she said Balash participated in the harassment.

"Does your workout include an urban obstacle course with a flat-screen TV on your back?" she said Balash asked her during the week of July 28, 2007 while working in Indianapolis.

The lawsuit also contends:

- Grant was forced to work outside more often than the white male officials because her supervisors believed she couldn't sunburn because she was black.

- While riding in the backseat of her carpool at Talladega Superspeedway, co-workers told her to duck as they passed race fans. "I don't want to start a riot when these fans see a black woman in my car," she claims one official said.

- When packing up in a dark garage at Texas Motor Speedway an official told Grant: "Keep smiling and pop your eyes out 'cause we can't see you."

- When she ignored advances from co-workers, Grant was accused of being gay. She adds that co-workers questioned the sexual orientation of two other female officials.

If these events did happen, I will be the first to say that it isn't right. However, if it was that bad, why didn't she quit earlier? I think there could be more than meets the eye...A quarter BILLION dollars???
smiley5.gif
Edited by: mrjohnnynofear

guest301

Hall of Famer
If all that actually happened, then she's got a case. But there is almost nothing they could have done to her that would warrant a quarter billion dollars.If she wanted some credibility and if all this is true, then why not sue for about five years back pay and a public apology. She and her lawyers are out to get rich and get media time and the fame that goes with it. The mainstream media would love to bring down NASCAR.Edited by: guest301

guest301

Hall of Famer
Good article. Jason Whitlock is amazingly insightful and fair minded for a black sportswriter. For any sportswriter for that matter. He's basically saying he doesn't believe her story from the get go. She never reported any of this stuff while she was working there and she really can't complain about it after she's gone, it's he said she said now.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
If that was really going on, she would have tape recorded it. Without a doubt!

Sistahs are clever enough to use White technology to try to get one "over Whitey." They love to "accomplish" things like that, and a possible fat "settlement" wouldn't hurt either.

They can think of themselves as characters in a black power, 70's flick, where Whitey gets destroyed in some way and, at the end of the film, they (sistahs) are laughing while buying expensive furs and shoes since they are no longer being held down by "the man".....

Skipperron

Guru
I knew what this would mean. And it has already started. There are now at least 3 different articles calling for hiring more blacks in the pits, reporting positions, front offices and especially drivers. You will see black faces everywhere you look within 2-3 weeks now in an effort to show how diversified Nascar is. I have already given up watching races anyway so it does not matter much, but I do hate to think that another white southern sport has gone the way of the PC black other sports.

Another sista steps up to play lawsuit lottery!

I hope she does better than our last contestant - Crystal Gail Mangum.

Deacon

Guru
Pitts, the VCU professor, said the lawsuit is going to compel NASCAR to review its hiring and training practices and in the long run could have a positive impact on promoting diversity in the sport.

"My hope is this might actually speed it up," he said. "It could force NASCAR to say they've got to do more and they've got to do it more quickly."

There you go.

link

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I think I finally understand...

A "Drive for D(ie)versity" because blacks (in particular) and (flawless) women "can't possibly discriminate, be racist, crude or insensitive."

Just think -- of all the wondrous results -- if this policy was put in place 300 years ago!

The "White problem"... aahem... the problem would be nearly exterminated as we speak.

Sheep says:

That's a good thing, Right?

guest301 said:
If all that actually happened, then she's got a case. But there is almost nothing they could have done to her that would warrant a quarter billion dollars.If she wanted some credibility and if all this is true, then why not sue for about five years back pay and a public apology. She and her lawyers are out to get rich and get media time and the fame that goes with it. The mainstream media would love to bring down NASCAR.

I think she could be bitter and just wants to bring NASCAR to a grinding hault. Man you should see the way they are lambasting her in the NASCAR forums. Again like what you were saying Guest301, I don't think anyone would have a problem IF it was proven true without her provoking the situation (I demand this because I am a black female, ect.) and asking for an apology and her salary. But she will have some serious explaining to do if (or I almost want to say when) this is exposed as false. Too many similar episodes of some african american woman crying wolf on innocent people.
smiley11.gif
smiley11.gif

guest301

Hall of Famer
Her credibility here is non-existent for the simple fact that she NEVER lodged any written complaint about any of the charges she is making. She will lose in the end but NASCAR will and is getting a black eye out of this. Fair or not.

She has a poor case. She never complained while working, and only sued after being fired. Sounds like sour grapes. She claims that her harrashment was habitual. In that case it would have been easy to record these incidents.
This should be thrown out, but NASCAR will settle for an undisclosed sum.