Adam Richards

Blue Devils

Mentor
Has anyone seen him fight? He's trained by Ronnie Shields. I seen him against some Cuban Heavy on Friday Night Fights. Richards was winning up until the Cuban got DQ'd for headbutts. At boxrec it said Richards, is a four time National amateur champion. He co-holds a Junior Olympic record with Mike Tyson of knocking out every opponent each faced for two consective years while winning Junior Olympic heavyweight titles. Seems like a prospect to watch
smiley20.gif
Edited by: Blue Devils

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
He appears to have decent boxing skills, but doesn't seem to move quickly enough. He seems on the same level as Francesco Pianeta, but not as good as Denis Boytsov.

Here's Pianeta:

Pianeta vs. Marrone

Richards and Pianeta may become contenders, we'll know more after a their next few fights. Edited by: JD1986

white is right

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Marrone I was suprised the Duva's thought he was ready for a fighter like Pianeta. Pianeta looked too strong for Marrone. I always thought Marrone was too small for the heavyweight division. Judging from the way he was taken out. He would be better served fighting as a cruiserweight. I know BJ Flores did this, and BJ will fight for title in the near future.Edited by: white is right

Blue Devils

Mentor
The "Swamp Donkey"s in action this Saturday against Chazz Witherspoon. A fight Richards could definitely win.

Sean

Mentor
I'm looking forward to see where Richards stands amongst the other white prospects. I'd have to disagree with JD (even though his post was a while ago) with Richards and Pianeta being on the same level. In my opinion Pianeta is much better as of now. Hopefully Richards beats Witherspoon convincingly, so he can start moving up the rankings
smiley32.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Sean said:
I'm looking forward to see where Richards stands amongst the other white prospects. I'd have to disagree with JD (even though his post was a while ago) with Richards and Pianeta being on the same level. In my opinion Pianeta is much better as of now. Hopefully Richards beats Witherspoon convincingly, so he can start moving up the rankings
smiley32.gif

You're right, Pianeta is the more refined, better-trained fighter. They both seem a bit slow-moving to ever win a world title, but Pianeta at least has been given the chance to improve by fighting frequently enough against the right opponents.

Sean

Mentor
JD1986 said:
Sean said:
smiley32.gif

You're right, Pianeta is the more refined, better-trained fighter. They both seem a bit slow-moving to ever win a world title, but Pianeta at least has been given the chance to improve by fighting frequently enough against the right opponents.

I agree, good post JD. I do think that Pianeta will improve more over the coming years though. I really wouldn't be surprised if he did get a world title someday. He's got a lot of potential.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I love his nickname the"Swamp Donkey". Witherspoon will bea good crossroads fight for the Swamp Donkey.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Richards has been sparring with Larry Donald the past few weeks. His weight is now down to 210 he said - and his work rate is much higher now, without the extra pounds to carry.

War Swamp Donkey!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
If Richards is 210 then he is way too small to compete in today's heavyweight division and should drop down to cruiserweight.

But I doubt he is really 210. He has fought as heavy as 256 and was 241 in his last fight. When I saw him on ESPN last year he was 226 and looked tight.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Here's the weights for tomorrow night's card:

From fightnews

Jermain Taylor 167.5 vs. Jeff Lacy 167.5
Kermit Cintron 146 vs. Lovemore N'dou 145
Chazz Witherspoon 229 vs. Adam Richards 217

So he's a little heavier than he said he was a week ago.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I don't like the fact that Adam was 241 in his last fight and is now 24 pounds less.

Doesn't seem right. But I hope I am wrong.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Richards lost via TKO in the 8th round. Not sure how competitive the fight was but losing all that weight so fast could not have helped Adam.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I read on boxingscene's forum that Adam was outboxing (or at least outworking) Chazz earlier in the fight, and "The Swamp Donkey" was probably ahead 5 rounds to 1 after 6 rounds. But they said Witherspoon probably won the 7th and 8th rounds.

It may have been an early stoppage, Adam was still standing and exchanging punches when the ref stopped the fight.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Did HBO show highlights of this fight? I suspect a regional cable network might air this fight down the road.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I copied and pasted this from Fightnews

In a very entertaining heavyweight match, Adam "The Swamp Donkey" Richards (21-2, 14 KOs) and Chazz Witherspoon (24-1, 16 KOs) engaged in a classic phone both battle. Richards forced the action as he prodded forward and demanded an inside slugfest. Witherspoon obliged and was willing to slug. It was a matter of attrition as neither fighter was willing to give in and often took turns trading hard shots. In the later rounds of the scheduled eight Witherspoon looked fresher and more efficient with his punches as he often pinned the donkey with his right hand. In the eight Witherspoon caught Richards with an assortment of overhand right hands and right uppercuts to which referee Bill Clancy stepped in and stopped it at 1:29.

P-NutLane

Guru
Refs look to stop the white man as soon in the fight as they can. You know, to keep order in the Caste system. Lets hope this young white brother can bounce back and get a few wins in a row now.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I was going to mention that foreign tv probably had a copy of this fight as it was filmed by HBO's crew, but not broadcast by HBO. Dan Raphael mentioned this in a column earlier in the week. MSG or Fox sports might show the English version of this fight down the road.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
I watched this fight with the post above. Thank you JD86. Richards is not as bad as I had thought he may be. I suspected he was some kind of a tough guy-turned-boxer-type. He does, however, have a hell of a lot to learn. He basically plods forward following Witherspoon around, throws a jab or two and sometimes a lead straight right, and then leans forward when he is in for a couple of body hooks.

I realize without an extensive amateur background it is difficult for him to learn the kind of finesse it takes to be slippery and elusive. But he could, at least, be clever. And in the Witherspoon fight he was not clever. He did not put his punches together, he did not attack Witherspoon from the sides, he did not use his elbows, he did not use his feet at all other than to stand up, and he tired himself out punching Witherspoon's arms.

I am not saying Witherspoon was so much better. Witherspoon just waited Richards out and was waiting for a late round something.

If anything, Richards needs to get in better shape and watch some Povetkin videos. Povetkin has a style that best suits Richards, and if he learns some skill he may make something out of himself. Edited by: Maple Leaf