Adam Hebert - TX

SteveB

Mentor
Hebert qualified for 4 events (LJ, TJ, 100m, 200m) in this weekends Texas State Track Championships. He competes at the 3A level for Poteet, which is a small town south of San Antonio. His championship meet was very impressive, 2nd in the 100m (10.65), 1st in the 200m (21.33), 1st in the LJ (23-4.25'), and 8th in the TJ (43-9.75'). He also holds the area record in the LJ at 24-6. He will be attending UTSA on a track scholarship next year. I'll be watching to see how he progresses in college.

Here's a pic of his regional 100m win.
WEB-Poteet-track.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If you look at this guy, Curtis Beach and many others across America, it just goes to show how athletic whites are. Like I have said before, it athletics ever got as popular as football in the US, man would it be exciting. Even the X Games is more popular than Track. I hope this changes someday. I mainly just want white kids in the US and around the world to run track and realize that they can compete and win!

albinosprint

Mentor
IMPRESSIVE! let's hope he doesn't fall prey to the caste system in college.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i thought that name sounded familiar ... he is originally from Louisiana, and he was tearing up things down there before he moved to Texas. i don't know what his best time as a senior was in the 100 meters, but he had a personal best of 10.57 as a junior.
smiley32.gif

he was also a heck of a football player, though he played for a TERRIBLE team. here's his Scout.com profile which lists him during his junior year at 5-11 and running a 4.34 40, but is "somehow" just a one-star recruit.
smiley5.gif

also, here's a cool article on him that talks about how great a leaper he is, in addition to his speed. the link also has a pic of him in the long jump.

<DIV id=article>

An offseason move-in from Louisiana, Adam Hebert told his new coaches at Poteet that he'd been one of the fastest juniors in his old home state.

"We were like, ‘Yeah, right,'"Â￾ track and field coach Carlos Saenz said.

Then Hebert beat J.J. Moses, Poteet's fastest athlete, in an informal footrace, prompting Saenz to double-check Hebert's claims on the Internet. Sure enough, his name immediately popped up, most notably for placing second in the 100-meter dash, third in the 200 and third in the long jump at last year's Class 5A state meet.

"People have always commented on my running ability,"Â￾ said Hebert, who moved from St. Amant in southeastern Louisiana last summer to live with his mother in Poteet.

He's gotten plenty of attention this year, routinely winning multiple events at each of Poteet's meets. He earned four firsts at last week's District 27-3A meet â€" the 100, 200, long jump and triple jump â€" while anchoring a second-place finish in the 400 relay.

Though his times don't rank among the area leaders, Saenz said that's more a result of not having faced stiff competition than a lack of raw speed.

"He's been smoking everyone in the 100,"Â￾ Saenz said. "He hasn't really been pushed yet in the 200. He usually runs as fast as he needs to."Â￾

Swift as Hebert is, his leaping skills stand out the most.

Hebert amazed onlookers several weeks ago during a meet in Marion with a scratched long jump of 25 feet, 3 inches. For comparison, the area record is 24-71/2, set in 1962 by Herb Stevens of Highlands.

Marion coach Glenn Davis estimates Hebert was about half a foot over the board. Regardless, the jump was so impressive Davis still had it measured.

"When he jumped, everybody just went, ‘Oh my gosh,'"Â￾ Davis said. "None of us had ever seen a jump like that. He's a lot of fun to watch."Â￾

Hebert proved it was no fluke by leaping 24-0 last week at district, the best long jump by an area athlete since Judson's Andrew Gamble went 24-11/4 in 2001.

"I was hoping to get (24-0) this year,"Â￾ said Hebert, who also has four home runs â€" two inside the park â€" as a full-time starter on Poteet's baseball team. "I'm glad I finally got it."Â￾

Provided he qualifies at next week's Region IV-3A meet, a similar jump should give Hebert an opportunity to win the state championship in mid-May.

"Oh yeah, that's the goal,"Â￾ he said. "More than one event, hopefully."Â￾