Abraham - Miranda II is official! 6/21/08

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=15267&more=1

HOLLYWOOD, APRIL 16 - The controversy over their 2006 bout has subsided some, but when it comes to their competitive fires, Edison Miranda and Arthur Abraham still believe they have some unfinished business to resolve. On Saturday, June 21st, in the US, these two world-class fighters will settle the score once and for all in a 166-pound special attraction that is destined to produce fistic fireworks. Abraham vs Miranda II headlines a night of professional boxing presented by Seminole Warriors Boxing Promotions and Sauerland Event. Showtime World Championship Boxing will televise this highly-anticipated rematch beginning at 9pm ET / PT.

"This is the matchup that all boxing fans should love and the type of fight that helps keep this great game alive," said Leon Margules, Executive Director of Seminole Warriors Boxing. "Miranda and Abraham didn't need to take this fight, but they did, not only for their own legacies, but to give the fans what they've been asking for, and I expect that they will deliver in spectacular fashion this June.."

Wilfried Sauerland, Abraham´s manager, agreed that the first meeting was one for the ages. "The first fight was certainly one of the most dramatic and exciting in recent years," he said. "Boxing fans all over the world have been waiting for a rematch and we´re pleased that King Arthur´s US debut will be such a highlight." And Sauerland Event managing director Chris Meyer added: "To make this fight possible, we asked the IBF to postpone King Arthur´s mandatory defence against Giovanni Lorenzo. After all, Abraham versus Miranda is the fight everyone wants to see."

"Abraham and I have had a war in the ring with our fists and one outside of the ring with our words," said Miranda. "I'll say this, I respect Abraham as a fighter and as a man for taking this fight, but on June 21st, I will leave nothing in the judges' hands like I did last time." King Arthur holds a different view: "He could not defeat me when I had my jaw broken twice," the undefeated champion said "When I am fully fit, there is no way he can beat me. I am looking forward to the rematch."

When Abraham defended his IBF world middleweight title against Miranda the first time in Germany on September 23, 2006, the two fighters lived up to the standards set by previous 160-pound greats as they battled tooth and nail for 12 torrid rounds. Abraham showed the heart of a champion as he fought on despite having his jaw broken by Miranda's hellacious haymakers, and 'Pantera' showed that he belonged on the elite level as he did everything in his power to take the crown. The officiating from the referee placed an unfortunate cloud of controversy over what was one of the best fights of the year though, with Abraham emerging with his title intact via a unanimous decision. "I have never fought someone as dirty as Miranda," King Arthur said. "But his low blows and head butts could not stop me."

Since then, the two have not shied away from a war of words, but as Abraham defended his title four more times (all by knockout), and Miranda jumped up to the super middleweight class to put two impressive KO wins in the bank, many felt that the opportunity to see these two modern-day warriors clash again was lost. But with Miranda and Abraham agreeing to a 166 pound catchweight for the bout, one of today's most heated rivalries will get a chance to resume again.

A native of Yerevan, Armenia who now makes his home in Berlin, Germany, "King" Arthur Abraham (26-0, 21 KOs) is one of boxing's most respected world champions. Unbeaten in his pro career, Abraham won the IBF middleweight title in December of 2005 with a fifth round knockout of Kingsley Ikeke, and he has since compiled seven successful defenses, four by knockout. In his last bout, Abraham knocked out Elvin Ayala in the 12^th round, and on June 21^st , he looks forward to making his United States debut against his bitter nemesis, Miranda.

One of the most exciting and popular fighters in the world today, Edison 'Pantera' Miranda (30-2, 26 KOs) has thrilled fans with his exciting performances ever since he made his United States debut in 2005. A former world middleweight title challenger, Miranda went up to the super middleweight class in October of 2007, and after an impressive fifth round TKO over Henry Porras, and a devastating third round KO of David Banks, the Colombian banger showed he is ready for the elite once again.

Site and Ticket information for Abraham-Miranda II will be announced shortly.

This will be a good matchup. Hopefully Abraham will put Miranda to sleep for good. If anyone clicks on the link you will see how Abraham feels about Miranda in the picture!
smiley36.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
I'm excited about Abraham vs. Miranda II. The first one was a war.

But will Abraham get fair judging in Florida, since Miranda is a local "Seminole Warriors" fighter? It may not go the distance this time anyway. Will Arthur be able to adjust to the very hot and humid Florida weather (will it affect his stamina)?

Go Arthur!

G

King Aurther better get to Florida ten days prior to get accalmated. This will be a war. If Art can avoid Miranda's power in the first four rounds and touch his body, he can take over in the later rounds. Sort of like what Mora did to Forrest.

In Miranda's fight with Pavlik, he got tired in the fifth round. Something for Abraham to think about.

JD074

Master
Showtime is also replaying their first fight two or three times this week.

EDIT: Actually, it's next week. June 16, 19, and 21.
Edited by: JD074

G

King Aurther has taken my advice. He has arrived in Miami tonight. This fight will be eventfull and great. Both are warriors and back their talk with their game.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
If Abraham wins this in Miranda's promoter Seminole Warriors home state of Florida, it will be a huge victory for him.

G

I am looking forward to this fight. These fighters will bomb away. One thing about Miranda is that he talks a lot of funny s..t, but I don't mind cause he backs it up it the ring.

Of course, I want King Aurther to win though. My advice to Art is to avoid Miranda's lethal power and pound his body for the first 4 or 5 rounds. Then turn it up in the latter part of the fight. This fight is a must see.

JD1986, regarding Abraham getting a fair decision, its not going to happean. Art is going to have to KO or outright win almost every round to get the W.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I like Abraham by decision although his one big flaw in my opinion is that he fights in spurts. And in Florida they might screw him over in a few rounds where Miranda might throw more but connect less.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Amren.com said:
Miranada cheats even more than Sam "rabbit punch" Peter.

Yes, he does. And with this fight being in Florida, will the referee let the "Seminole Warriors" fighter get away with all the dirty stuff?
smiley18.gif

Still, I'm very excited about this fight. If Abraham manages to KO Miranda, he will really establish himself among US boxing fans.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: JD1986

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
A poll on fightnews.com has 55% of the people picking Miranda to beat Abraham, even though Arthur already beat Miranda.

The Caste System is alive and well! But I expect Arthur to put another dent in the CS tonight with a KO over Edison.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Well i just voted for Abraham
smiley36.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Anybody think Miranda is a roider? He came into this fight looking like the terminator. Usually when a fighter moves up in weight he gets smoother as he is shedding less fat and water.

G

WIR Miranda has always had that incrediable physic. Ken Norton also had it. I don't think Miranda is on roids. He was is blessed.

I just watched the replay of their first fight. Miranda is a big guy. His proper weight is 168 or even 175 lbs. Arthur will have his hands full for the first five rounds. After that he needs to turn it on.

Go King Arthur!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Miranda doesn't look to have a steroid-induced Shannon Briggs type physique, just a very low fat/muscle ratio with high definition.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This fight worries me a little. Miranda would have won the last fight if not for the 5 point deductions. That being said Abraham was fighting almost the whole fight with a broken jaw. I just watched the first fight on showtime. I hope the jaw was the reason Abraham wasn't throwing many punches.

Sean

Mentor
*WARNING SPOILER ALERT*

Abraham destroys Miranda in 4 rounds! It seems like he let Miranda punch himself out in the first two, turned it on in the third, and ended it in the 4th via three knockdowns! I has always been impressed with King Arthur, great defense, power, etc. But I am even more impressed now. A great win against the caste system.

albinosprint

Mentor
whiteathlete33,

even if you added in the five points, Miranda still would have lost the first fight. anyway, 2nd fight was great.

Pavlik vs Abraham seems to be the most likely match up. if that happens, pavlik may have his hands full with this guy. anyone who can fight 8 rounds with a broken jaws is going to be tough to beat. anyone have any thoughts on a Pavlik vs Abraham fight? I like both of them, but I would have to route for Pavlik.

G

Its a great win for Abraham, he pulled the trigger a round or two earlier than I thought.

If Pavlik and Art fight I see a 9th or 10th stoppage on Pavlik's part. Kelly has such a pulverizing jab and better all around ability that Miranda.

Its something how the best fighters are fighting each other and they are white! Congrats to Aurther!
smiley32.gif

As I though, Abraham would come to America and win the crowd. Great performance by Abraham to KO Miranda. Raul Marquez is Abraham's mandatory. But everyone wants Pavlik/Abraham. Abraham is a great fighter but Pavlik is a puncher who puts people to sleep. This would be a hell of a matchup!