A tidbit about Mexico

Bronk

Mentor
I am currently studying Latin American history (just one word, disfunctional) and ran across this description of the Mexican character from Evelyn Waugh's book,
Robbery Under Law:

"Mexican popular heroes are drawn in another shape â€" squat, swarthy, passionate, intolerant, vain men who when cornered shoot their way to freedom and take to the mountains, who will steal and promise and give lavishly, sell anything and repudiate the bargain, murder their friends and buy off their enemies, nurse a grudge and forget a kindness, sometimes grossly sacrilegious, sometimes heroically pious, Aztec and Castillian inextricably confounded."

Yippie.

Edited by: Bronk

white is right

Hall of Famer
The drug kingpins are this with an arsenal of a paramilitary. If the corruption that has engulfed Mexico is to believed, a few of the top kingpins have had the army protecting them.
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
How many Spaniards (people that are of pure Spanish descent) are in the Mexican Mafia?

I was watching one of the prison shows on MSNBC, and it was about a California prison, and a couple of the Latino savages (full of tattoos, of course) looked pure Spaniard. I didn't see any traces of Indian blood. One of them was Mexican Mafia.

So, it isn't just the short, tan Mexicans, that we have to be aware of?

Edited by: Deadlift

white is right

Hall of Famer
From what I have read racial gangs allow non Blacks/Mexicans in the gang if they grow up these neighborhoods. Also many ethnic Mexicans that have long roots in California are Spanish and look like Raffi Palmero,Keith Hernandez etc. Edited by: white is right

Observer

Mentor
I think an important difference between Mexico and the Anglo culture of the USA is that we Anglos have better schools and have generally been taught/brain-washed to believe in the fundamental integrity of the court and legal system. Mexicans have no such belief, and so what we consider a bribe or other corruption is just a necessity there. I think this extends across all social classes, at least that is my impression. Few believe in the legitimacy of the government - and why would they, when the Masonic government waged war against their Church for many generations? -- and people do what they need to do just to get by.