A’s Ellis hits for cycle

remark22

Oaklands Second baseman Mark Ellis had an impressive night as he hit for the cycle to help the A's beat the Red Sox.

Link

OAKLAND -- Extra innings gave Mark Ellis another shot at completing his first career cycle Monday night, and he took advantage by blooping a broken-bat single into center field in the 10th inning.

Just another memorable moment in the week of Ellis' life. Last Friday his wife, Sarah, gave birth to the couple's first child, and since Briggs William Ellis entered the world, Daddy is 8-for-12 with five extra-base hits.

"I'm gonna go home and try to have another one," Elllis cracked after the A's beat the visiting Red Sox, 5-4, in 11 innings. "It's been an exciting week."

Ellis, who hit a two-run triple in the second inning, a solo homer in the fourth and a double in the sixth, grounded into a fielder's choice in the eighth -- much to the chagrin of a McAfee Coliseum crowd on its collective feet in anticipation.

But when Boston tied the game with two runs in the top of the ninth inning, then turned back a bases-loaded, nobody-out threat by the A's in the bottom of the frame, Ellis got the at-bat he needed.

With the crowd again buzzing, Ellis, facing lefty J.C. Romero with one out in the bottom of the 10th, doinked his fourth hit of the night just beyond the reach of Boston second baseman Dustin Pedroia.

"I had a pretty good idea it was gonna drop," Ellis said.

It was the 17th cycle in franchise history, the first since Eric Byrnes did it against the Giants in San Francisco on June 29, 2003, and only the second at McAfee Coliseum.

"You don't see the cycle very often, and what's interesting is he got the hardest part out of the way first," said A's manager Bob Geren. "Mark just had a great night, and I'm so happy for him. He's got a new baby, he's swinging the bat great.

"He's flying high right now, and it couldn't happen to a finer man. You can't say enough good things about Mark Ellis."