65 th anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing

This is the 65th Anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing. All I can say is God bless Paul Tibbits and the 509th bomb group for ending WW II!

Sometime later today, BHO will probably apologize for winning the war.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Obama broke with tradition (what's new) and sent the US ambassador to the ceremony that the japs have about Hiroshima. The US has never done that before because-well f@ck 'em, they deserved it. But yeah since the negro chieftain is now apologizing for every good thing that the old white US did they have to send a sacrifice to the shinto gods. He'll probably apologize and promise to send a billion dollars to the relatives of the surviors.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I got so tired of discussing this subject every summer when I lived in Japan. No matter how many times I tried to explain the various supportive viewpoints of most Americans, it nearly always fell on deaf ears.

One of the interesting things I ran into was that most Japanese did not take into consideration the very real possibility that not only did the bombings bring the war to a speedy conclusion to eliminate an Allied invasion of the main islands, it also prevented the Soviet Union from getting more land in Japan to the north. When I explained that the Soviets very probably would've taken Hokkaido and still occupy it like they do the Kurile Islands, a lot of people simply didn't want to hear it. When I said their territory could very well still be divided like the Korean peninsula, a few got the point, but most practiced selective hearing.

When I brought up the history of Japan's wars in Asia for the previous half century, including with the U.S. and what our forces experienced for 3.5 years fighting the Japanese in the Pacific, and why we didn't want to go through with a mainland invasion, this usually resulted in something like, "Well, why didn't they just drop a few bombs in uninhabited areas and then we would've surrendered anyway."

I don't believe this. Most of the people would've fought to the bitter end as ordered by their leaders, starving or not.

The atomic bombings shortened the war and ultimately saved lives on both sides.

I've been to the A-bomb dome and the Peace Museum. I've read a lot and thought a lot about the subject.

And the conclusion that I always come to is that Truman made the appropriate decision.