51 white WR starting so far

referendum

Mentor
In reviewing the teams reviewed so far for white starters in the upcoming season, which is 100 I believe, (thank you Col Reb, Jared, and everyone else) I've counted 51 white WR's who are starting. I believe one was in a fight for his position, and I counted him and I only counted two of Northwestern's three as I'm wondering if they will normally run three.
I wonder how many were starting last year. Seems like a nice tidy sum so far. Really nice seeing Nebraska and UNLV with two.Edited by: referendum

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That's a veryimpressive number, relatively speaking of course compared to what it should be. What would be helpful is if guys like Logan Payne, Jerheme Urban, Kevin Kasper, Greg Camarillo, David Ball, Mike Hass and a few others get some decent playing time as third, fourth and fifth receivers this year. The more often white receivers are seen playing in NFL games the faster the ridiculous stereotypes can be broken down and more of the many wonderfully talented white college receivers can get to play in the NFL, much like there is no longer any stigma against white TEs in the NFL for a supposed "lack of speed." But given that this is the NFL we're talking about. . . this year's annual ethnic cleansing spree is drawing closer.

whiteCB

Master
Don Wassall said:
That's a very impressive number, relatively speaking of course compared to what it should be. What would be helpful is if guys like Logan Payne, Jerheme Urban, Kevin Kasper, Greg Camarillo, David Ball, Mike Hass and a few others get some decent playing time as third, fourth and fifth receivers this year. The more often white receivers are seen playing in NFL games the faster the ridiculous stereotypes can be broken down and more of the many wonderfully talented white college receivers can get to play in the NFL, much like there is no longer any stigma against white TEs in the NFL for a supposed "lack of speed." But given that this is the NFL we're talking about. . . this year's annual ethnic cleansing spree is drawing closer.

You're right on the spot with the TE comparison Don. The situation for white TEs in the 1990s was awful. Then, and thank god, guys like Shockey(who opened the door with his bravado), Whitten, Cooley, Heap, and others got an opportunity and produced BIG TIME! Now the stigma against white TEs has dropped considerably to the point where they are evaluated pretty fairly in the college recruiting game and some NFL teams have nothing but white TEs on their rosters. Its been great! Now we need some of these college guys to step up like Hartline, Decker, Lyons, ect... and NFL players such as Welker, Curtis, and so on to do the same.

referendum

Mentor
Looks like the final numbers are about 58 white WR's starting. This assumes a white wins a few position fights out there, so it might be a little high. I believe its higher than last year, and when I'm done looking over last years team I'll update this. Assuming about 240 total positions in college football, whites are at about 25%, a much higher percentage, obviously, than cornerback or tailback.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In the NFL only about 5% of starting WRs are white, or about one-fifth the ratio in I-A and far less than that compared to I-AA and below.