2024 UDFA Signings Thread

TwentyTwo

Master
Thanks for posting that Quiet Speed!

I wasn't aware of Sheets even though Slippery Rock is just 50 miles north of Pittsburgh.

He reminds me of another great small college player from 20 years earlier from another school about the same distance north of Pittsburgh, running back R. J. Bowers of Grove City. Bowers was the first player in NCAA history to rush for over 7,000 yards, finishing with 7,353 yards and 92 TDs.

Some here undoubtedly remember Bowers while those who don't should know how the story ends. Bowers was signed as a FA by his hometown Steelers in 2001, and played in 3 games as a WSTD. In the final game of the '01 season, a blowout over the Browns if I remember correctly, Bill Cowher actually put Bowers in at RB in the second half and he responded very well by rushing for 84 yards on 18 carries and a touchdown.

That was Bowers' one and only time carrying the ball in the NFL. He spent a small portion of the '02 and '03 seasons on the Browns roster but never got another carry.

I'd put the odds that Sheets even gets that much of a look in the NFL at 1 in 100. And realistically it's best to add another zero as the Saints organization seems to have taken a secret blood oath decades ago to never give a fair opportunity to a White receiver.

Here's a highlight reel of Sheets:

Thanks Don for the Sheets highlights! This should get interesting in Summer Camp!!

And Yes indeed thanks for jarring the memory ! I remember that name!! RJ Bowers from Grove City. Funny how that works ! Only one nice Stat-line allowed then it's to the back of the line White boy!
....Brian Shay(Emporia State) a few years before him never really got the opportunity ....D2 All time Leading Rusher before Bowers broke it i believe

And just like Bowers ......Some other RB's that were gven an opportunity to shine ONLY ONCE once ; play well with Nice "Stat line" ; only to disappear

off the top of my head blast from the past....
1990 Colts Blake Ezor .... 18 carries? 81 yards vs Broncos; barely ran after that
1992 Patriots Scott Lockwood ....30 carries 123 yards vs Dolphins ; at the very end of the season ...only 5 carries previously
2003 Bears Brock Forsey.....had a 100 yard game

I

Warhawk_46

Master
Even Brian Leonard had a 100 yard game, if I remember, only to never be given a chance to really run the ball again.

Zach Zenner nearly had 100 yards late in the season against the Packers and was cut the next season for far inferior blacks.

Rocky B

Master
Even Brian Leonard had a 100 yard game, if I remember, only to never be given a chance to really run the ball again.

Zach Zenner nearly had 100 yards late in the season against the Packers and was cut the next season for far inferior blacks.
Zenner had a couple starts where in the first half he had 79-80 yards rushing and then got 3 carries for 9 yards the rest of the game. I may be exaggerating, but not by much.....I mentioned this in a thread awhile back, but Pierre Strong had three 1000 yard seasons as an SDSU running back and got drafted by the Pats.....Zenner had three seasons of 2000 yards rushing for them and was undrafted....bu!!****....

Warhawk_46

Master
Besides being flat out dominant in college, Zenner dominated the NFL when he got an opportunity.

I recall that game against the Cowboys, nationally televised, over 60 yards in the first half and Detroit winning and then… hardly an attempt the rest of the game.

The league made a very real and concentrated effort to ensure he didn’t get the opportunity to become a Pro Bowl-caliber running back.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Besides being flat out dominant in college, Zenner dominated the NFL when he got an opportunity.

I recall that game against the Cowboys, nationally televised, over 60 yards in the first half and Detroit winning and then… hardly an attempt the rest of the game.

The league made a very real and concentrated effort to ensure he didn’t get the opportunity to become a Pro Bowl-caliber running back.
This is the truth. ZZ2K was a true 3-down back, fast, quick, strong. Had great vision, exceptional hands and was a good pass blocker. I watched a late-season Lions game where he played most of the game, he was fantastic. I thought, "wow, he's going to be in the mix to be the starting back next year for sure!" Nope, gotta bury whitey on the depth chart. Zenner, being a doctor, an actual MD, unlike Jill Biden, finally had enough and is now a true professional. Too smart for the backfield where most players couldn't spell CAT if you spotted them the "C" and the "A".

Stlouis

This is the truth. ZZ2K was a true 3-down back, fast, quick, strong. Had great vision, exceptional hands and was a good pass blocker. I watched a late-season Lions game where he played most of the game, he was fantastic. I thought, "wow, he's going to be in the mix to be the starting back next year for sure!" Nope, gotta bury whitey on the depth chart. Zenner, being a doctor, an actual MD, unlike Jill Biden, finally had enough and is now a true professional. Too smart for the backfield where most players couldn't spell CAT if you spotted them the "C" and the "A".
As of Feb, 2024 Zach Zenner has not attended medical school. He is working as a sports agent.

Also, those who have received a doctorate are legitimately entitled to call themselves ' Doctor'.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
As of Feb, 2024 Zach Zenner has not attended medical school. He is working as a sports agent.

Also, those who have received a doctorate are legitimately entitled to call themselves ' Doctor'.
You are correct. Mixed up ZZ with another one of our paleface RB's. They all look the same anyway being burst-free and all.

TwentyTwo

Master

For sure ...remember Brian Leonard well...was stoked watching big powerful back with the agility (Leonard-leap) at an obscure program like Rutgers.
At the Combine just before running the 40....announcer Mike Mayock said lets find out if Brian Leonard is a Tailback or Fullback"? "Well looks like a Tailback running 4.49. Only to be Drafted by the Rams as Steven Jackson's(one of the Top NFL RBs) caddy. Very frustrating!

ZZ Top was one of my all time favorite FCS Backs at South Dakota State. Had a healthy conversation years ago with ex college basketball black christian; who could not believe HOW a RB could rush over 2,000 Yards THREE Consecutive seasons ...and still not get drafted.

I was just going further back when Don posted about RJ Bowers...that's what made me think of Brock Forsey Brian Shay late 90's ; and Blake Ezor & Scott Lockwood early 90's

white lightning

Hall of Famer
For sure ...remember Brian Leonard well...was stoked watching big powerful back with the agility (Leonard-leap) at an obscure program like Rutgers.
At the Combine just before running the 40....announcer Mike Mayock said lets find out if Brian Leonard is a Tailback or Fullback"? "Well looks like a Tailback running 4.49. Only to be Drafted by the Rams as Steven Jackson's(one of the Top NFL RBs) caddy. Very frustrating!

ZZ Top was one of my all time favorite FCS Backs at South Dakota State. Had a healthy conversation years ago with ex college basketball black christian; who could not believe HOW a RB could rush over 2,000 Yards THREE Consecutive seasons ...and still not get drafted.

I was just going further back when Don posted about RJ Bowers...that's what made me think of Brock Forsey Brian Shay late 90's ; and Blake Ezor & Scott Lockwood early 90's

We should also add Alex Smith who despite his talent was ignored by the NFL like so many other white running backs!

Warhawk_46

Master
That late season game was against Green Pay. He rushed for over 90 yards and consistently displayed burst, vision and tenacity. All the traits of a great running back.

Ironically, after showing he was far and away the best running back the Lions have had since Sanders… he never played again, getting only a couple attempts while playing for three different teams in the next season 2019.

His start against GB in the 2018 season finale: 21 rushes for 93 yards, 1 TD (4.8 avg).

Absolutely disgusting the treatment of Zenner.