2024 Outdoor season

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I love that old mate Richard Kilty is in the GB 4 x 100m team in the Bahamas at the ripe old age of 4 months shy of 35.
It's been 10 whole years since this:

The Aussie men's 4x100 team will be quite strong even without Browning there.
Which makes me think he is having injury woes. If he can't make Paris my prediction is that he'll retire from track.
He must be qualified as a lawyer by now - this article is from last November
https://www.nswis.com.au/nswis-news/browning-hails-the-value-of-consistency-at-uni-and-the-track/

I rewatched this race a couple of times. He could have run faster. He was all over his lane in that 60 meters finals yet still went 6.49! Wow he could have went 6.47 if he kept in more or a straight line. So explosive back then even with those short legs!

white lightning

Hall of Famer

99d4ec10-16e2-4c45-8e09-3a2c9b7f9eee

Ingebrigtsen plots another 1500/5000m double in Roma 2024​

sprintstar

Mentor
Thats what I noticed first off as well he was all over his lane and it was fortunate he did not step on the line. His legs are not short compared to his torso, they look shorter as he has big thighs... I like the shot of him at the end..fresh faced cocky son of a gun!

mastermulti

Master
Matthew Boling ran a very nice 1st leg of the mixed relay - 2nd fastest in 45.59. Jonathon Saccour for Belgium ran a blazing 45.27.

I don't know how accurate splits are but the official site gives English woman Amy Hunt the fastest time of the night in the women's 4 x 100m in front of Swoboda.
Hunt's time is listed as an incredible 9.92 flying leg (which makes me wonder about how accurately they can do this, at least for the 100m relay splits). Hunt ran the fastest under 18 women time yet recorded for 200m in 2019 with her 22.42. Great to see her back on track

Richard Kilty ran his usual impeccable 3rd leg even if he's nearly 35. He is just so reliable with those changes and bend running
Turkey without Ramil Guliyev is certainly a different animal - a little one

Last edited:

mastermulti

Master
Thats what I noticed first off as well he was all over his lane and it was fortunate he did not step on the line. His legs are not short compared to his torso, they look shorter as he has big thighs... I like the shot of him at the end..fresh faced cocky son of a gun!
with those ruddy English cheeks that make you think he's been sitting down in front of the fireplace with a glass of something LOL

freedom1

Mentor
I have the admit, the "Irish woman" on the second leg won it for them, but the rest of them did pretty good, especially the anchor.

sprintstar

Mentor
Team Canada's women's 4x100m relay team placed second and qualified for Paris. The team had 2 whites and 2 blacks with Leduc(white) running a blazing 3rd leg.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This proves the caste system in track is not a science.

All 4 white women winning the 4 x 100 Meters Race. (Poland)
2 white women & 2 black women taking 2nd (Canada)
All asians take the 3rd spot. (China)

So we have 10 of the 12 fastest women in this 4 x 100 Relay as either white or asian! :)

Texas Flash

Matthew Boling ran a very nice 1st leg of the mixed relay - 2nd fastest in 45.59. Jonathon Saccour for Belgium ran a blazing 45.27.

I don't know how accurate splits are but the official site gives English woman Amy Hunt the fastest time of the night in the women's 4 x 100m in front of Swoboda.
Hunt's time is listed as an incredible 9.92 flying leg (which makes me wonder about how accurately they can do this, at least for the 100m relay splits). Hunt ran the fastest under 18 women time yet recorded for 200m in 2019 with her 22.42. Great to see her back on track

Richard Kilty ran his usual impeccable 3rd leg even if he's nearly 35. He is just so reliable with those changes and bend running
Turkey without Ramil Guliyev is certainly a different animal - a little one
Boling ran a 45.11 opening split in the final to give the USA a 1.59-second lead at the handoff! That would have been an open PR for him.

So far Boling has 10.06 wind-legal 100m, a 20.03 wind-aided 200m, and an opening leg 400m split of 45.11. That's not bad, and depending on where he is in his training cycle it could be very good. IF he's done all of that with little to no speedwork thus far then he might be tuning up for some big things this summer. fingers crossed.

Texas Flash

Also, Boling has competed in 20 races so far this year and 10 of them were of the 400m in distance. Another 2 races were at 300m. So a lot of volume already. Hopefully, they are simply training through these meets rather than planning for them. When you consider that he's professional now, his season really should barely have begun and he's already done a full season of competitions....Kim Collins years ago at the end of his career trained through his races and it worked really, really well for him as he found the fountain of youth in his late 30s and early 40s. Of course, he was running 60's and 100s only. Not sure if you can just train through 400s on end.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Also, Boling has competed in 20 races so far this year and 10 of them were of the 400m in distance. Another 2 races were at 300m. So a lot of volume already. Hopefully, they are simply training through these meets rather than planning for them. When you consider that he's professional now, his season really should barely have begun and he's already done a full season of competitions....Kim Collins years ago at the end of his career trained through his races and it worked really, really well for him as he found the fountain of youth in his late 30s and early 40s. Of course, he was running 60's and 100s only. Not sure if you can just train through 400s on end.

I touched on this earlier last month. I personally believe they have raced him WAY TOO MUCH. He is already starting to show some
signs of burnout. Give the kid a few weeks off. Even then 20 races this early is insanity! Good luck to Boling but I disagree with how
he is being handled just like in college.

mastermulti

Master
Boling ran a 45.11 opening split in the final to give the USA a 1.59-second lead at the handoff! That would have been an open PR for him.

So far Boling has 10.06 wind-legal 100m, a 20.03 wind-aided 200m, and an opening leg 400m split of 45.11. That's not bad, and depending on where he is in his training cycle it could be very good. IF he's done all of that with little to no speedwork thus far then he might be tuning up for some big things this summer. fingers crossed.
and when you consider the preparation phase before handover (rather than just throwing yourself to the line in the individual event) I think that makes Boling's time equivalent to a sub 45. I know people here think it sacriledge to make him run 400 but it was quite special as a relay run. I can see why the powers that be want him there - could be that he'll have contributed to a lot of medals for the U.S. over his career.
Certainly we've never had a sprinter here in Australia who can go near to matching him over a combination of his three different distances. He scores exceptionally highly points-wise

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Speaking of Amy Hunt who seems to finally be back in good form after being missing in action the last couple of years. She will
be lining up in the Diamond League on May 10th. Good luck to her as this is a stacked field. Good for some experience though!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good news. Even though Brody Buffington has been m.i.a. since indoors he will be running in the 100 meters at the 2024 SEC Outdoor
Championships. Been waiting to see him run the 100 all year and finally. I guess it's better late than never.

sprintstar

Mentor
If Hunt can stay healthy and is race fit....i.e. no limitations mentally/physically then is she very capable of sub 11 100m. Leduc, Steiner, Swoboda and possibly Hunt...what a dream 4x100m relay team that would be!

Warhawk_46

Master
Happy to see that but I just don't see another Jeremy Wariner in Matthew Boling. They are built different. Boling will never ever break
Wariners best times ever or challenge any of the worlds elite 400 meters sprinters. Boling is still getting bad advice. Look at the 200 yesterday and tell me anything different? I don't care that it's early as he is running high school times in the 200 meters. So sad.
Honestly he reminds me of LeMaitre in the sense that he is unable to improve. He was better in high school and his first season of college. He was running with confidence and as the kids say “swag.” He knew he was the best.

He ran to win versus running not to lose. He lost the eye if the tiger or whatever cliche you want to say.

Disappointing as I thought he could become an all-time great.

Texas Flash

so for the year he has gone:
100m: 10.06 - 2nd fastest year
200m: 20.03w - 2nd fastest year
400m: 44.98 - PR

In that sense its not so bad especially considering its just mid-May. I think the real question is where is his fitness and when will he peak (21 races completed which is a lot period, especially as a professional so early in the season). And of course, has he been doing speed training yet?? If he has then it might not be a real great summer. If he hasnt then it could be a really great summer!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Coby Hilton deserves a mention. He finished 2nd to Henrik Larsson yesteday running a fine time of 10.15! Great start for his summer!