2023 NFL Season Super Bowl LVIII

Kaptain

Master
I guess I didn't know the new overtime rules that the game does not end on the first possession even if it's a TD. Yes, that was a dumb decision to take the ball. Really dumb.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I guess I didn't know the new overtime rules that the game does not end on the first possession even if it's a TD. Yes, that was a dumb decision to take the ball. Really dumb.
Sort of goes along with being out coached, right?

CrazyFinn

Mentor
An entertaining game especially in the 4th quarter and overtime. The much maligned 49ers defense played well most of the game but eventually things fell apart in OT. Some very questionable play calling by Shanahan and missed opportunities earlier proved costly.

Incessant worship or not, Mahomes is obviously a very good QB despite the irrational hatred he gets here. He made some clutch throws on third down under pressure to keep drives going, including in OT. You don‘t win 3 SBs being a bum.

Hartline

Guru
Boomer had a good point that the 9ers won the toss and should have considered giving the Chiefs the ball first. With the “new” OT playoff rules, it is advantageous to see what your opponent has done and what you need to match with 4 downs at your discretion.
That probably is the best option normally but the Chiefs had all the momentum and the 49ers defense was gassed so I can understand why they asked for the ball first.

NWsoccerfan

Mentor
The 49ers made no adjustments on defense. The chiefs ran the same screen passes all game. Plus there seemed to be a long stretch where Mccaffrey wasn’t used. Every time they utilized him they marched down the field. Either way there were a ton of whites on the field although I was rooting for San Fran.

Hartline

Guru
The 49ers made no adjustments on defense. The chiefs ran the same screen passes all game. Plus there seemed to be a long stretch where Mccaffrey wasn’t used. Every time they utilized him they marched down the field. Either way there were a ton of whites on the field although I was rooting for San Fran.
They had a Rooney Rule DC who was out of his depth.

Hartline

Guru
An entertaining game especially in the 4th quarter and overtime. The much maligned 49ers defense played well most of the game but eventually things fell apart in OT. Some very questionable play calling by Shanahan and missed opportunities earlier proved costly.

Incessant worship or not, Mahomes is obviously a very good QB despite the irrational hatred he gets here. He made some clutch throws on third down under pressure to keep drives going, including in OT. You don‘t win 3 SBs being a bum.
I dont think anyone here doubts he's a great player.

Its moreso the NFL's desperation to make a mulatto the face of the league even when the greatest player of all time Tom Brady was still active and winning superbowls.

Snow Plow

Mentor
Kelce was 32-355-3 in 4 playoff games at age 34.

Chiefs had 3 points in the first half and Kelce was a non-factor. Any Mahomes love needs to take into consideration how important Kelce is to him.

icsept

Master
Very competitive, entertaining game. Mahomes was the difference. A lot of great contributions by White players.

Very competitive, entertaining game. Mahomes was the difference. A lot of great contributions by White players.
At the risk of sounding bitter, I don't agree that Mahomes was the difference. Both QBs executed their offense effectively, made most of the throws and missed a few (Mahomes missed a wide open TD to end the game in regulation). Andy Reid and Steve Spagnolo simply out-schemed their counterparts down the stretch, plain and simple. Kyle abandoned the run during the middle of the game. Everything was there for Mahomes in the last few drives, while Purdy was put in tough situations on key downs.

Then you throw in a punt bouncing off the ankle of a 49er, resulting in KC's only TD of regulation, a shanked XP from a guy who hadn't missed all year, the Chiefs recovering 3/4 fumbles during the game while the 9ers lost 2, Butker hitting the longest FG in Super Bowl history (and going 4/4 overall), and multiple key injuries to the 49ers. Those things were the difference in the game.

In fact, this entire chiefs playoff run relied on defense and frankly quite a bit of luck. The Bill's missed a routine FG to send the game to overtime. The Ravens had a total meltdown and were still inches away from tying the game, fumbling at the goal line instead. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but I'm not just going to hand it to Mahomes as if he hasn't been the beneficiary of some unbelievable lucky circumstances and an elite defense.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Maybe so, but Shanahan was also out of his league. Reid is just a better coach.
Every generation of coach has a near great snake bitten coach and until Shanahan jr gets over the hump he will be this generations. Fat Bastard was the poster boy for that until he hit the jackpot with Mahomes.

It's not like Shanahan shouldn't have multiple years to win the big one but there are no guarantees as back in the day Grant and then Levy and Schotenheimer never won the big one.

NikoDuke

Mentor

Strongly disagree, I have yet to see multiple posters on CF call Mahomes a bum or criticize him in a hateful manner. Other black quarterbacks perhaps but, not Mahomes. Most here don't consider him to be a black quarterback.

Regarding this game, Mahomes was fine but, was not the difference maker on offense. Kelce was. Without him the Chiefs don't get to OT. And frankly, Kelce gets more hate on this site than Mahomes does. But, the deeper story is that the 49ers lost this game with poor play calling, unforced errors, and an Oline that faltered..

Last edited:
Didn't watch the game, but looking at stats, this stood out: Deebo Samuel had 3 completions out of 11 targets. Were the passes or his hands that bad?

sprintstar

Mentor
SF should have been up by 2 td's coming out of the first quarter...Mahomes is a good qb but would be average without Kelce. Purdy is already better than Mahomes at this juncture of his career. Blows me away that Kittle was literally ignored, he is bigger, faster, as good as hands as Kelce and gets open at will...hmmmm

wile

Master

I'm lazy so I will just let this speak for me. I frankly enjoyed the game and I think part of it compared to last year the race hype biased me against the whole shebang of the NFL but this year the whiter teams came thru.

Warhawk_46

Master
Every generation of coach has a near great snake bitten coach and until Shanahan jr gets over the hump he will be this generations. Fat Bastard was the poster boy for that until he hit the jackpot with Mahomes.

It's not like Shanahan shouldn't have multiple years to win the big one but there are no guarantees as back in the day Grant and then Levy and Schotenheimer never won the big one.
I agree. I think Shanahan will get over the hump at some point as he is still quite young. What worries me is that McCaffrey probably only has 3 to 4 years left, given his age and the age with which running backs fall off the cliff.

Warhawk_46

Master

I'm lazy so I will just let this speak for me. I frankly enjoyed the game and I think part of it compared to last year the race hype biased me against the whole shebang of the NFL but this year the whiter teams came thru.
This right here is why so many coaches lose at the championship level. They play not to lose rather than play to win.

They overthink themselves and become hesitant. They lose trust in their players to make the play that needs to be made in the very pinnacle of their career.

McCarthy did this in Green Bay against in what was likely Aaron Rodgers best shot at a second Super Bowl. Shanahan did it again tonight. They had the preeminent talent at running back, and even though he got 22 carries on the night McCaffrey and the run game were ignored for vast amounts of the middle of the game.

McCaffrey was marching them down the field to put them into scoring range. At the end of regulation, all Shanahan had to do was trust that McCaffrey, Kittle and the team would get the 3 to 4 yards each pop needed to score the touchdown.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
At the risk of sounding bitter, I don't agree that Mahomes was the difference. Both QBs executed their offense effectively, made most of the throws and missed a few (Mahomes missed a wide open TD to end the game in regulation). Andy Reid and Steve Spagnolo simply out-schemed their counterparts down the stretch, plain and simple. Kyle abandoned the run during the middle of the game. Everything was there for Mahomes in the last few drives, while Purdy was put in tough situations on key downs.

Then you throw in a punt bouncing off the ankle of a 49er, resulting in KC's only TD of regulation, a shanked XP from a guy who hadn't missed all year, the Chiefs recovering 3/4 fumbles during the game while the 9ers lost 2, Butker hitting the longest FG in Super Bowl history (and going 4/4 overall), and multiple key injuries to the 49ers. Those things were the difference in the game.

In fact, this entire chiefs playoff run relied on defense and frankly quite a bit of luck. The Bill's missed a routine FG to send the game to overtime. The Ravens had a total meltdown and were still inches away from tying the game, fumbling at the goal line instead. I'm not trying to be unreasonable, but I'm not just going to hand it to Mahomes as if he hasn't been the beneficiary of some unbelievable lucky circumstances and an elite defense.
That is quite a few breaks going their way. I definitely don’t think the Chiefs were the best team this year, but they were the one left standing. Some of the “luck” was really the other team choking. The Chiefs have a cool and calm “been there before” demeanor because they have. Like a great tennis player, they held serve and waited for their opponent to mess up first.

Last edited:

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Chiefs Draft day moves in grabbing Chenal and Karlaftis paid off big time. Knew they would thrive there when they fell into KCs lap. I’ll give the GM that.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer

This post is spot-on.

angelus

I dont think anyone here doubts he's a great player.

Its moreso the NFL's desperation to make a mulatto the face of the league even when the greatest player of all time Tom Brady was still active and winning superbowls.
This.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
Andy Reid and Steve Spagnuola were the difference in the game, period. Mahomes played well but was not spectacular. 49ers could not cover Kelce when it mattered most.

On the plus side, Purdy likely won't get paid until after next season and all core contributors are under contract through 2025. They're all getting older but still very much in the tail end of their primes, so they should have one year left in their current window. Not much in the way of cap space, but if they can fill out a few holes in the draft they should be able to make one last run at it again next season. Detroit should also be back, and McVay's historically white friendly Rams should also be in the mix.

Things look a little bleaker on the AFC side. The Bills went all in on the last few years and have the 2nd worst cap situation in the league. They can dig out of the hole a little bit by cutting Diggs and Von Miller, but they have a lot of needs and lack the cap space or draft capital to make any serious moves. The Chargers should be better with Harbaugh but are in a similar situation with no cap space and tons of bad contracts. The Bengals are my top Caste pick out of the AFC next year if Burrow can stay heathy. They have a decent amount of cap space, and all key white contributors as well as Jamarr Chase and Joe Mixon are signed through next season at least. TE Drew Sample is a UFA, but in my opinion, TE is a good position for Cincinatti to upgrade through the draft or free agency anyway.

KC will probably keep most of their current roster outside of maybe Chris Jones. I don't foresee the fat man or Kelce hanging it up with the potential to three-peat, so they'll probably be back for at least another season. The Ravens will be in the mix again if Lamar stays healthy, and Houston could take another step forward. Overall, I'm less optimistic on the AFC side. Regardless, it should be an interesting offseason and hopefully we get a better result next season because the Mahomes fatigue is in full swing for me.