2023 Iowa Hawkeyes

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer

jphoss

Mentor
I’m at the point where I would prefer Iowa’s offense suck the rest of the season so Brian Ferentz gets fired. He’s an anchor weighing this program down

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer

2 games left + a bowl game. I just hope it's not a lingering long term injury. He still has a big time shot at the first round if he declares - I feel he should as Ferentz has unfortunately hurt DeJean's chances at becoming a bigger star due to Iowa not being able to field a quality offense and make a College Football playoff push.

jphoss

Mentor
2 games left + a bowl game. I just hope it's not a lingering long term injury. He still has a big time shot at the first round if he declares - I feel he should as Ferentz has unfortunately hurt DeJean's chances at becoming a bigger star due to Iowa not being able to field a quality offense and make a College Football playoff push.
Yep imagine him locking down marvin harrison jr in the big 10 title game would be a shock to all the normies out there

sprintstar

Mentor
That totally sucks for him. Here's hoping he recovers 100% for next season whatever league that will be in.....

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Dang. Here’s to a speedy recovery. Definitely a blow to Iowa with their already meager offense and the whole relying on their defense to stay in games thing.

Phall

Master
Without any insight into the injury, it's pretty much the worst CF news possible. This can push Cooper out of the first round, which lowers the investment that the GM holds. It adjusts the DWF head-nodding that he could/should be moved to slot-cover safety in the pros.

That said, the worst possible case would be for him to run on a bad bone-break. I'll drink a glass of milk for Cooper tomorrow!

Phall

Master
Iowa (Kirk Ferentz) names former Western Michigan head coach Tim Lester as his son Brian's successor at OC.

I don't have a strong opinion other than to say I hope he doesn't have a black quarterback fetish. Paul Chryst apparently turned down the offer due to a lack of autonomy under Ferentz. Lester will have to operate within a framework.

This article offers a more complete analysis (the author is lukewarm on the hire):
https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...ensive-coordinator-kevin-johns-green-bay-bhgp

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The allure of Iowa this upcoming season isn't as great as it has been in some time. Mostly due to the QB situation and losing DeJean to the NFL. They recruited an Alabama sumo through the portal as well. I am also lukewarm on Lester. Not the most dynamic hire. I don't think it would be the worst idea for Iowa to copy the Michigan template and become a run heavy team. I personally hope the pendulum in college football will slowly start going back in the other direction, getting away from the spread nonsense.

The Hawkeyes 2024 recruiting class does give hope though. Ferentz did a nice job stocking up on White talent. Unfortunately no White athletes in the secondary.

QB James Resar
RB Brevin Doll
WR Reece Vander Zee
TE Michael Burt
TE Gavin Hoffman
OL Josh Janowski
OT Will Nolan
OL Cody Fox
OT Bodey McCaslin
DE Drew Campbell
LB Cam Buffington
LB Derek Weisskopf
LB Preston Ries

jphoss

Mentor
Iowa (Kirk Ferentz) names former Western Michigan head coach Tim Lester as his son Brian's successor at OC.

I don't have a strong opinion other than to say I hope he doesn't have a black quarterback fetish. Paul Chryst apparently turned down the offer due to a lack of autonomy under Ferentz. Lester will have to operate within a framework.

This article offers a more complete analysis (the author is lukewarm on the hire):
https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com...ensive-coordinator-kevin-johns-green-bay-bhgp
As much as I appreciate Ferrntz playing white athletes even in the secondary! I’m very disappointed he didn’t hire Chryst bc a lack of offensive autonomy. This offense has been trash for years and has held back championship white led defenses. He should have swallowed his pride but instead it looks like it will be more of 9-3 iowa losing games bc their offense can’t score

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Hopefully sophomore John Nestor can keep the White CB pipeline from Iowa into the NFL going:

The Next Riley Moss? John Nestor Ascending at Corner for Iowa​

Nice to see! However is very sad that only 1 major football program will consistently give opportunities to White CBs. Progress I suppose…