2023 College Football Week 9

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Tuesday night games:

New Mexico St vs La Tech
Liberty vs Western Kentucky - Liberty is currently undefeated - hope they lose tonight.

MACtion starts next week.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Liberty ended up winning as did New Mexico State.

Tonight it’s FIU Vs Jacksonville State and

UTEP Vs Sam Houston State

Slim pickings and 3rd RD BUST Brett Hundley was given a job as an analyst for Sun Belt. LOL the caste system, gift that keeps on giving.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Sun Belt with an All Black announcing crew, even a black male sideline reporter(some bimbo is going to be pissed). Head referee is also an upsider. Bout as black as a Conference as you can find.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Sun Belt with an All Black announcing crew, even a black male sideline reporter(some bimbo is going to be pissed). Head referee is also an upsider. Bout as black as a Conference as you can find.

Might have to sit these games out tonight! Feeling the football burnout a little.

Looking towards the weekend as the rest of the week night games are pretty mediocre.

Free Shoes U is annoyingly still undefeated and will probably remain so against Wake Forest. Hopefully QB Mitch Griffis is back for this game.

Indiana vs Penn St - PSU got exposed once again under James Franklin in a big time conference showdown. Allar needs a bounce back game but I don't think they cover (-32.0) against the Hoosiers.

Maryland vs Northwestern - Former Texas A&M/Current Maryland Coaching assistant Kevin Sumlin was popped for a DUI. The Fightin' Fitgeralds have been a competitive team this year given everything that went down over the summer. They are led by two great tackling machine LBs Bryce Gallagher and Xander Mueller. Rooting for the upset!

Clemson vs NC State - I know alot of fellow CFers are heavily invested in the Tigers. I am certainly rooting for them as well but I would say give them this season to work through their identity. I'm hitching my wagon to @Carolina Speed and his knowledge of the program. I still absolutely think that Klubnik can be a great QB, he is going through growing pains and was not afforded the opportunity to step in to a National Championship caliber team. For all his "struggles" this year it should help his development as he gets more snaps and playing time. He has still yet to start a full season. My guess is Will Shipley will be back next season, I think some coaching and scheme changes will come in the offseason but for now we should be optimistic about their future with Klubnik, young WRs like Cole Turner and Troy Stellato and hopefully the emergence of Jake Briningstool after a big game last week. Clemson needs to get better in the trenches.

Georgia vs Florida - This SEC matchup offers us Pearsall and McConkey. QB Carson Beck for UGA has improved week after week so I am eager to see what he does down the stretch for UGA. Mertz has honestly been the biggest surprise of college football that no one talks about. Seems to be a totally different player than at Wisconsin so it's a nice to see him exceeding expectations.

Oregon vs Utah - If Oregon wins this one I think they get vaulted into the top 5. With a strong game Bo Nix might re-enter the Heisman conversation as well. Utah winning this game wouldn't be the worst thing either as long as they keep the Pig Farmer under center!

Tulane vs Rice - Rice football is a must watch team if you ask me. I like Tulane QB Michael Pratt alot as a prospect so I hope this game is a shootout between he and JT Daniels with McCaffrey, Dean Connors and Rawson MacNeil putting up big numbers.

USC vs Cal - I just want to see how far USC and their "generational" QB can fall. Hopefully the Golden Bears continue playing freshman QB Fernando Mendoza.

Wyoming vs Boise St - Hard to believe I'd be indifferent to even rooting against Boise St but they have gone downhill over the last few years. I have noticed their 53% completion quota has been splitting time with the more effective White freshman QB Maddux Madsen. Wyoming should win the game but Bohl essentially putting RB Sam Scott on the bench once the black RB returned from injury? earlier this season and not letting them split carries is a sticking point for me.

Ohio St vs Wisconsin - Pretty White friendly game no complaints here. I do think McCord has to start playing with more urgency, start the game off strong and distribute the ball around.

Colorado vs UCLA - Chip Kelly is playing coy with the QB position. His prized black QB has sputtered to a joke in conference play. Garbers played well last week. Really looking forward to seeing the total antithesis of Deion Sanders - Carson Steele in this game. Would love to see him get 20+ carries 150 yards in a performance that would hearken us back to the days of Toby Gerhart.

UNC vs Ga Tech - The inexcusable loss to UVA really hurt the Tar Heels chances at any sort of CFB Playoff spot and Maye's Heisman chances. I am going to guess this game will be a shoot out. Ga Tech isn't great but have improved over the past years. QB Haynes King has been much improved since transferring over from Texas A&M and is a speedy dual threat QB.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Colorado vs UCLA Game scares me a little. Colorado in my opinion will be taking as many cheap shots on
Carson Steele as they can get away with. The kid is built like a Sherman Tank but cheap shots are where alot of
guys get hurt. Hope the refs can keep the game under control. This is gonna be a war. Go Bruins!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Syracuse getting blown out. I have to think this is the last season for Dino Babers as head coach for the Orange.

Phall

Master
Despite the Pac12 conference starting its season with 11/12 non-white quarterbacks, Oregon vs Utah seems like it will "regress toward the mean." Bo Nix probably can't move his draft stock very much at this point; a Heisman invitation would be nice but ultimately no big deal unless he can put together a profile that can win the award outright. I think JJ McCarthy is the more likely finalist/winner at this point. And on top of the Utah's Pig Farmer QB being a fun story, it kinda buries the idea that the conference needs 11/12 non-white starting quarterbacks in the first place.

I read an article this week about projected QB transfers. Even if Garbers finishes the season for UCLA, which is not a guarantee, Chip Kelly will at the very least open the competition back up in the off-season for his prize turkey. Garbers is basically auditioning for his next P5 job. Still, with a starting QB, RB, and WR, UCLA is one of the most compelling teams in D1 right now. All the better that they are facing Black America's Team.

I'm holding out hope that the Badgers can shock the Buckeyes. Wisconsin took the Big Ten West lead back from Iowa last week and controls its destiny (although the playoff is out of reach).

What’s the deal with this Michigan sign stealing scandal? I’ve been hearing about it on Reddit non stop for the last week and it’s probably gonna keep picking up steam. From what I’ve heard sign stealing is normal in college football but the media has their sights set on Michigan. Normally I couldn’t care less but this looks like it could end up hurting JJ McCarthy’s Heisman chances

jphoss

Mentor
The media definitely has it out for Michigan. I think the issue is that the ncaa rules don’t permit an opposing team sending a scout to opponents games and use technology to steal the signs. They are making it a bigger deal bc it’s Harbaugh but what they did, as far as I know, is against the rules

Snow Plow

Guru
The media definitely has it out for Michigan. I think the issue is that the ncaa rules don’t permit an opposing team sending a scout to opponents games and use technology to steal the signs. They are making it a bigger deal bc it’s Harbaugh but what they did, as far as I know, is against the rules
I can buy the idea that this guy filmed opponents’ games, but I feel extremely confidant that this will never get connected to Harbaugh. I believe his intelligence is underrated and there is no way he will be implicated. We’ll see of course. I’m not a betting man, but I would think Michigan goes in the warpath now.

Phall

Master
What’s the deal with this Michigan sign stealing scandal? I’ve been hearing about it on Reddit non stop for the last week and it’s probably gonna keep picking up steam. From what I’ve heard sign stealing is normal in college football but the media has their sights set on Michigan. Normally I couldn’t care less but this looks like it could end up hurting JJ McCarthy’s Heisman chances
This is probably my area of expertise.

Long story short:
Ohio State paid private dicks to spy on Michigan and sent their findings to the NCAA. Ohio State's beat reporter has been leaking the report to the public with an anti-Michigan spin. The NCAA has a weirdo who went to Michigan on its Rules committee that hates Harbaugh.

Longer version:

A party that we'll call "Ohio State" hired a law firm to compile a dossier about Michigan that they could present to the NCAA. It's presumed that Ryan Day did not pay for this out-of-pocket but that he did know about and endorse it. This law firm contracted private investigators for its fact-finding, the way a spouse might pay a PI to spy on their partner to establish infidelity before a divorce.

Most programs have beat reporters who develop rapport with the coaching staff while covering press conferences and the like. One Ohio State sports journalist named Peter Thamel has close ties to Ryan Day. He got the exclusive scoop about this sign-stealing story and has been able to feed details to the public with his own slant. Predictably, he makes Michigan look bad. The NCAA did not have any sign-stealing investigation open against Michigan until this past Tuesday (when they received the whistle-blowing dossier from the unnamed law firm).

Michigan football hired a staffer last year, now 28 yrs old, to some rather general analyst role. Connor Stalions is the name getting bandied about. He's a Michigan graduate, his parents are rich Michigan boosters, and he's the guy who bought tickets to 30 games over the past three seasons in stadiums of Michigan's future or potential opponents. Stalions would then give the tickets to friends with the instruction to record the other team's sidelines and "steal their signals."

This practice was made illegal by the NCAA in 1994 due to the competitive advantage for big-budget programs. Smaller schools could not all afford to pay extra analysts to travel, so the practice was banned. Keep in mind that 1994 technology, you'd need a bulky camcorder to record. Now, there are 80,000 fans with high-def digital camera phones in any given stadium. The costs associated with this sort of "scouting" are much cheaper (not considering exorbitant ticket price inflation). There are also third-party companies who compile and parse game film for exactly this purpose that all schools can access, so you might say it's an outdated bylaw. However, it's still explicitly not allowed by the letter of the law for Michigan to send a "representative" to record another team.

Either Stalions did not password-protect this secret document of stolen signs, (dubbed "Michigan Manifesto"), one of his friends ratted on him and shared the password.... or the PI firm hacked a university computer. That doesn't necessarily mean that the NCAA will throw out the evidence as "inadmissible," but it would probably cause some spiteful Michigan boosters to file their own lawsuit and try to go up the ladder implicating Ryan Day's staff in some conspiracy charge. This paragraph is probably way ahead of itself and unnecessary but as a topic, still an interesting rabbit hole.

The breadth of the punishment may be determined by whether Stalions' friend network can be considered "Michigan representatives." The NCAA will also look for evidence that Michigan's coaching staff was aware of the operation. Regardless of their ruling, universities have 90 days to respond (ie accepting or refuting punishment). So, the NCAA won't block Michigan from going to the playoffs this season. Technically, the Big Ten Conference could step in and ban Michigan if they felt like it. They'll collect a few votes against Michigan, but it seems unlikely the conference as a whole would fall on this sword.

The other key player in this fiasco is Jim Stapleton, a black lawyer from Detroit who is a University of Michigan alum and booster, a former regent at Eastern Michigan University, a current "minority owner" of the Minnesota Vikings, and a current board member of the NCAA Rules and Infractions Committee. Stapleton apparently hates Jim Harbaugh and used his voice as a "booster" to oppose his 2014 hiring. In 2020, he used his voice as a Vikings stakeholder to oppose Harbaugh returning to the NFL (a decision that was apparently down to a coin-flip). And as this "Infractions" committee member, he was absolutely in the mix in meting out August's punishment against Harbaugh for buying two recruits cheeseburgers on a campus visit.

Rocky B

Master
Shipley down....looks like a hit to the head/neck near the goal line.
Not looking good, hopefully they come out of the commercial and he’s running off the field.....

Rocky B

Master
Of all the bs targeting calls that have been called, this probably should have been flagged. Helmet to helmet.

He walked off the field. Got his bell wrung...
Probably won’t return, but it’s yet to be determined

Last edited:

Rocky B

Master
Carney getting garbage time reps for Wake vs FSU....
Bust a long one young man.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Of all the bs targeting calls that have been called, this probably should have been flagged. Helmet to helmet.

He walked off the field. Got his bell wrung...
Probably won’t return, but it’s yet to be determined

This is why so many of us here at this board feel our guys are targeted alot more. The bigger the star the more the jealousy. This
white boy needs to know his place and they target him. Not all of the players but many in high school, college and the nfl
that make an extra effort to target whitey! Hope he is gonna be ok.

Jake Briningstool is off to another great start. The kid is 6'6 and 230 but his speed really impresses me. He is a tightend and can
obviously play on Sundays but I see he also has potential as a wide reciever. If he dropped 10 to 15 more pounds he would be
even faster and the kid can run. Either way he is one to watch for sure!

Last edited:

Phall

Master
Dillon “the Flyin’ Fair-Skinned Hawaiian” Gabriel is not a good quarterback. I hadn’t watched him much until today, as Kansas is giving the Sooners a game.

Unfortunately for Kansas, their backup black quarterback sucks!

I like to imagine that Venables still baptizes his players like he did at Clemson. So, in a field of black-centric playoff candidates, Oklahoma isn’t so bad in my eyes.

northwinds

Mentor
Ladd McKonkey with a 40 yard catch and run TD……really showing off his speed against the Florida DBs!!

El Gringo

Mentor
This is probably my area of expertise.

Long story short:
Ohio State paid private dicks to spy on Michigan and sent their findings to the NCAA. Ohio State's beat reporter has been leaking the report to the public with an anti-Michigan spin. The NCAA has a weirdo who went to Michigan on its Rules committee that hates Harbaugh.

Longer version:

A party that we'll call "Ohio State" hired a law firm to compile a dossier about Michigan that they could present to the NCAA. It's presumed that Ryan Day did not pay for this out-of-pocket but that he did know about and endorse it. This law firm contracted private investigators for its fact-finding, the way a spouse might pay a PI to spy on their partner to establish infidelity before a divorce.

Most programs have beat reporters who develop rapport with the coaching staff while covering press conferences and the like. One Ohio State sports journalist named Peter Thamel has close ties to Ryan Day. He got the exclusive scoop about this sign-stealing story and has been able to feed details to the public with his own slant. Predictably, he makes Michigan look bad. The NCAA did not have any sign-stealing investigation open against Michigan until this past Tuesday (when they received the whistle-blowing dossier from the unnamed law firm).

Michigan football hired a staffer last year, now 28 yrs old, to some rather general analyst role. Connor Stalions is the name getting bandied about. He's a Michigan graduate, his parents are rich Michigan boosters, and he's the guy who bought tickets to 30 games over the past three seasons in stadiums of Michigan's future or potential opponents. Stalions would then give the tickets to friends with the instruction to record the other team's sidelines and "steal their signals."

This practice was made illegal by the NCAA in 1994 due to the competitive advantage for big-budget programs. Smaller schools could not all afford to pay extra analysts to travel, so the practice was banned. Keep in mind that 1994 technology, you'd need a bulky camcorder to record. Now, there are 80,000 fans with high-def digital camera phones in any given stadium. The costs associated with this sort of "scouting" are much cheaper (not considering exorbitant ticket price inflation). There are also third-party companies who compile and parse game film for exactly this purpose that all schools can access, so you might say it's an outdated bylaw. However, it's still explicitly not allowed by the letter of the law for Michigan to send a "representative" to record another team.

Either Stalions did not password-protect this secret document of stolen signs, (dubbed "Michigan Manifesto"), one of his friends ratted on him and shared the password.... or the PI firm hacked a university computer. That doesn't necessarily mean that the NCAA will throw out the evidence as "inadmissible," but it would probably cause some spiteful Michigan boosters to file their own lawsuit and try to go up the ladder implicating Ryan Day's staff in some conspiracy charge. This paragraph is probably way ahead of itself and unnecessary but as a topic, still an interesting rabbit hole.

The breadth of the punishment may be determined by whether Stalions' friend network can be considered "Michigan representatives." The NCAA will also look for evidence that Michigan's coaching staff was aware of the operation. Regardless of their ruling, universities have 90 days to respond (ie accepting or refuting punishment). So, the NCAA won't block Michigan from going to the playoffs this season. Technically, the Big Ten Conference could step in and ban Michigan if they felt like it. They'll collect a few votes against Michigan, but it seems unlikely the conference as a whole would fall on this sword.

The other key player in this fiasco is Jim Stapleton, a black lawyer from Detroit who is a University of Michigan alum and booster, a former regent at Eastern Michigan University, a current "minority owner" of the Minnesota Vikings, and a current board member of the NCAA Rules and Infractions Committee. Stapleton apparently hates Jim Harbaugh and used his voice as a "booster" to oppose his 2014 hiring. In 2020, he used his voice as a Vikings stakeholder to oppose Harbaugh returning to the NFL (a decision that was apparently down to a coin-flip). And as this "Infractions" committee member, he was absolutely in the mix in meting out August's punishment against Harbaugh for buying two recruits cheeseburgers on a campus visit.
Excellent report!! I’m assuming Jim Harbaugh must be a Trump supporter? I hope Michigan beats the coon dog sh@t out of Ohio State!

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
NC St LB Payton Wilson with a pick 6 and another monster game. He's probably the best LB in the country. I'd imagine he gets a Senior Bowl invite.

Tulane's QB Michael Pratt is certainly my favorite "group of 5" prospect. I think he has an additional season of eligibility but if his stock is high he should declare this year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Clemson without Shipley when healthy is just not the same team! Another loss in a very bad season for the Tigers.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
At the half USC and their “generational” QB are losing by 11 to Cal. The Golden Bears have a losing record on the season.

Honky wide receiver Trond Grizzell is leading the way with 4 catches for 62 yards and a TD.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Oregon blowing out Utah - pretty impressive showing.

USC is down 28-17 to Cal. There is currently a protest on the field...hopefully it's a protest against the Caleb Williams hype! (I kid)

Warhawk_46

Master
I really hope Clemson can pull things together next year for Shipley’s senior season. It would be foolish for him to not come back to school. White running backs need to declare after a monster season and even then, the media and scouts will denigrate them.