2018 NFL Draft

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I cannot find info on so many guys - just googled Frey and could not find his 40 time. I totally overlooked him as a prospect too. Nice catch!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I cannot find info on so many guys - just googled Frey and could not find his 40 time. I totally overlooked him as a prospect too. Nice catch!

Yeah he's a solid Big Ten backer. Got a chip on his shoulder, most people considered him a MAC prospect coming out of HS. Shows what they know. Almost 200tkls as 2yr starter and captain.

2 more solid LB prospects both from Iowa that the draft media has completely ignored:

Bo Bower and Ben Niemann

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-pro-day-performances-boost-hawkeyes-to-nfl-squads

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Seahawks were one of the teams that attended Stanford's workout. Hopefully they don't get their hands on Harrison Phillips and pull the DL to OL switch which is only applicable to white defensive linemen. The Seahawks have done this to a few white OL so Seattle would be a bad place for Phillips to end up.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Hopefully Seachickens were there to scout Stanford's OLB African import Kalambayi .

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Hopefully Seachickens were there to scout Stanford's OLB African import Kalambayi .

I hope so. I did check out Stanford's roster and they might be trending back in the right direction for 2018. I really hope Irwin finally becomes a focal point of the offense - he has real next level ability. Totally off topic I know but I am already getting geared up for college football lol.

Dalton Schultz should be another solid 3rd/4th round TE in this year's draft. So many good TEs this year.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
I hope so. I did check out Stanford's roster and they might be trending back in the right direction for 2018. I really hope Irwin finally becomes a focal point of the offense - he has real next level ability. Totally off topic I know but I am already getting geared up for college football lol.

Dalton Schultz should be another solid 3rd/4th round TE in this year's draft. So many good TEs this year.

Yessir im always excited for CFB season! Let's hope for couple of losses for Alabama while we're at it. Sick of The SEC.

Irwin is due for a breakout year, he's a SR. In 2018 correct? He should benefit from stability at QB. Haven't seen much of Schultz have to check out his highlights. Know he's from a program that has consistently pumped out beasts at that position last 10 years

We've all discussed this many times. This year's TE class is loaded! Can't wait to compare it to 17class couple years from now.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Lurkers, blacks usually don't have their arm strength questioned. Whites usually do. If you pay attention you will notice this.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing how white guys can be in 90 percentile athletically and still only be considered Day 3 prospects(Apke and Cantrell).

Lol **** off. Pure caste propaganda .

Even when Whites test as the best of the best (in the 97th percentile at the Combine in the case of Cantrell, per Leonardfan's post #472 in this thread), they're still not athletic. No wonder it's so easy to ignore great White high school running backs, receivers, and defensive players when it comes to the recruiting process. What a racket, a racket that's been going on for over 35 years, and anyone who points it out is the "racist" rather than the racket itself.

Last edited:

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Excellent post Don. Janis is ranked in 99th percentile for WRs over last 5years and is regulated to WSTD and has barely gotten a sniff of interest as a FA

Frustratingly the racket(i like that term)continues despite occasional hiccups.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
What a racket, a racket that's been going on for over 35 years, and anyone who points it out is the "racist" rather than the racket itself.

This is a good way of putting it, a racket. The anti-white racket. We should start spreading this.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
What's everyone's opinion of Mike McGlinchey? I think he can be a solid left tackle.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
What's everyone's opinion of Mike McGlinchey? I think he can be a solid left tackle.

Lot of solid tackles this year. McGlinchey looks very solid at LT, I'm sure some of the Draft twits will say he needs to to RT.

Kolton Miller from UCLA is another big prospect at 6'8 310. I've heard people throwing around comparisons of him to Nate Solder!

Connor Williams is another solid Tackle that should go 1st rd. Hell down LT spot for Texas last couple of season's. I like his pedigree.

Nevada has an intriguing OL prospect in Austin Corbett who is being projected as 2nd rounder . Tested well athletically at combine. 6'4 305 might move to interior but I'd like to see him stick at Tackle. Similar size and athleticism to Packers Bakhtiari.

At Guard Quenton Nelson is an absolute Mauler! Top5 pick imo.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
I've been looking at some of these mock drafts and many of them have the Jaguars taking a quarterback in the first round.

The Jaguars are coming off a playoff season in which Bortles played well in the playoffs. The Jags signed Bortles to a new, expensive contract. I doubt they're taking a qb in the 1st.

It seems a lot of mainstream journalists want white quarterbacks to lose their jobs so they keep promoting the idea.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
McGlinchey looks very solid at LT, I'm sure some of the Draft twits will say he needs to to RT.

Lol. That's exactly what they're saying. They say it about almost every white tackle prospect.

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
I've been looking at some of these mock drafts and many of them have the Jaguars taking a quarterback in the first round.

The Jaguars are coming off a playoff season in which Bortles played well in the playoffs. The Jags signed Bortles to a new, expensive contract. I doubt they're taking a qb in the 1st.

It seems a lot of mainstream journalists want white quarterbacks to lose their jobs so they keep promoting the idea.

Exactly. Mainstream journalists are nothing but anti-White chunts that write the freaking exact OPPOSITE of the facts about the talents of Whites. These media f@ggots aren't just dwf cucks, they're militant anti-White wussies in need of an ass-kicking. To hell with them.

Red Raider

Mentor
As far as Dylan Cantrell goes, he is the most physically impressive person I’ve ever seen in real life. He looks like a bodybuilder or a linebacker with the athleticism of a cornerback, but can also block like a tight end. I was a at pool last summer here at Texas Tech and he was there too and he just looked like a human created in a lab. He is a Jordy Nelson/Alston Jeffrey type and hopefully whoever drafts him utilizes him in that way instead of the “big slot” that they call white guys because they won’t put them on the outside. Coaches should just look at him and see a star, he has outstanding character and does nothing wrong I can’t believe he isn’t being looked at as a 3rd round receiver like Keke Coutee who himself is a good receiver but I believe Cantrell provides more overall upside for an offense. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cantrell can return kicks too with his athleticism despite his size. He also isthe reason Patrick Mahomes even got noticed in the first place, scouts came to watch Cantrell in practice in high school and were impressed by his teammate Mahomes throwing to him too.

Tannehill17

Mentor

More specifically they have the Jags taking Jackson in order to replace the embattled Blake Bortles. They keep pushing this bullsh*t narrative that Blake Bortles sucks, despite putting up some respectable numbers last year. I really hope Jackson has a Geno Smiff-esque slide into the 2nd round of the draft as the cameras zoom in on his ugly mug to highlight his frustration over teams passing on him... something that is usually reserved for white quarterbacks.

Shadowlight

Master
Below are the results from the Iowa pro day. WR Matt VandeBerg put up decent numbers 4.53 40, 4.04 shuttle, 37" vertical but there is little chance he gets drafted. At least he played on Saturdays which is more than I can say for the many teams who are allergic to having white WR's.

LB Ben Niemann ran a 4.6 40.

MLB Josey Jewell improved on his Combine numbers. I think he ran a 4.8 at the combine but today ran a 4.68. So he has standard issue 4.7 MLB speed. But a closer look demonstrates a good athlete. He has leg explosion with a 35" vertical but most notable is a 4.04 shuttle which is quick even for CB's. He is ultra quick and agile. Strong too. Improved on all his combine numbers which means he properly practiced the drills, something black players start doing as 10 year olds. Should become an instant starter in the NFL.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/iowa-pro-day-results-2

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the Iowa updates. From what I can tell Josey Jewell seems to be treated as a non-factor in the draft - I hope I am incorrect in that because he should be a 2nd/3rd round pick and have a good career like Poz.

Don't take this as an attack Shadowlight but a few posts back you mentioned that not being drafted was unacceptable. I have to somewhat disagree with that. I would say the one position for whites that it is essential to be drafted is QB - the track record of undrafted QBs having success is a short list but a very good list - Warner and Romo off the top of my head. When we look at the WR position several big name white players were undrafted and have had a tremendous impact in the league - Welker, Ammendola and now Thielen. To me going the UDFA route isn't the worst thing in the world. I do agree that most white players who go undrafted should be drafted and the reason they aren't is because they are white. We see it every year where teams just decide to draft some non-descript, mediocre black player who has "upside" whereas we see uber productive white players being shunned. I probably sound like a broken record but the number of no name blacks drafted in the 6th/7th rounds is amazing and they fill out the bottom of rosters. The teams honestly just pull these guys out of obscurity - guys I have never heard of as a pretty big follower of college football. At least going the UDFA route we can hope white players are able to pick a place that may give them a little more of a fair shot.

Shadowlight

Master
For me the draft line plays a huge role in the caste shadow. Free agency reeks of back door, back of the bus, the little engine that could stuff that has relegated white skill players into second class citizens but being drafted resonates down the line for college recruitment. If say ten white WR's were drafted on a consistent basis every year it would help the cause of white HS WR's. And the mere notion that a team targets a white player to draft is good to see.

Relying on FA gives white WR's miniscule chances for sticking with a team. Remember Welker goes back 15 years ago and the idea was he opened the door for white WR's to get drafted. Thielen is one in a million. A small school white WR not drafted becoming a star. Most all of the white WR's who went undrafted the past twenty years have ended up in the garbage bin except for the odd example of Alex Erickson and Jordan Taylor but they clearly should have been drafted and their NFL status has always been up in the air.

But allowing for the very few that squeeze through and it is very rare, we have seen countless examples of undrafted white WR's languish on practice squads and then disappear into thin air. Just one of many examples. Back in 2013 I was high on WR Zach Rogers for TN. I have mentioned him here several times. An exciting big play threat he ran the fastest 40 at his pro day--obviously he was not invited to the combine. He kept improving each year and looked like a 5th or 6th round pick. Goes undrafted ends up at the Jets camp and vanishes in a haze of blue smoke. This is what happens to the white undrafted free agents. Of course the rare times an undrafted white WR's does make it is cause for celebration.

Now I admit there has been some progress. Surely Trent Taylor and perhaps Ryan Switzer would have never gotten drafted ten years ago but last year their names were called.

I am laser focused on three, potentially four players this go around. Imagine a square. Now tip it so a point is facing north. The point facing south is Braxton Berrios. The points east and west represent Dylan Cantrell and Justin Watson. The point north is Troy Apke. If Berrios has a dreadful pro day I could shift everything over to a triangle.

Trey Quinn is not listed because I am almost certain he will get drafted. But for these other three to four players I am on edge. Apke is at the top because to me he is the most important player in the draft. He is ESSENTIAL. Cantrell and Watson are right behind him. Think of the tipped over square image and you can see where my mindset will be come draft time. Sure I want some white players landing in the first round etc. but "my square" is where the most of my energy will go. I am looking forward to the draft but this one is the most anxiety riddled one for me I can remember. So much hangs in the balance.

Last edited:

dolphins15

Guru
Reports from Braxton Berrios pro day are anywhere from 4.35-4.47 in the 40. Also a 36" vert with a 6.76 3 cone.

Shadowlight

Master
Thanks Dolphin, good numbers from Berrios. Now my [CUBE] is complete. At the top S/CB Troy Apke and right behind him WR's Justin Watson and Dylan Cantrell and just under them is WR Braxton Berrios. These are the four most important players for me in this year's draft because none of them are guaranteed to get drafted. However in a fair and just world they MUST be drafted and to be honest a valid assessment would play out like see below.

Apke--3rd round

Watson--4th round

Cantrell-- 4th round

Berrios--5th round

Off topic WR Kevin Kasper ran a 4.44 40 yard dash at the 2001 NFL combine. At 6 ' 200" he leapt 43.5 inches. And he holds the still standing Combine record in the 20 yard shuttle with a blistering 3.73 time. WOW!

He was drafted in the 6th round and he rarely played. His best season he returned KO's for Arizona. Hard to believe with those numbers along with his dynamite production at Iowa, he ended up being a scrub. I would like to think the "atmosphere" in the NFL regarding white WR's has improved since then.

[Update] Wouldn't you know one player who might have burned a really fast 40, WR Trever Ryen, didn't participate in his Iowa State pro day due to a foot injury. Whether he gets another chance who knows. He was not going to get drafted but still it would have been nice to see how fast he could have run the 40 yard dash.

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Why Leighton Vander Esch is the next T.J. Watt
One of the top linebackers in the NFL should look very familiar to Steelers fans

• Sam Quinn - 23 hours ago
    6_8260865.jpg
T.J. Watt was one of the best defensive rookies in Pittsburgh Steelers history last season. He is one of only three players in team history with seven sacks in his first season. For most outside linebackers, that would be more than enough production for a veteran, much less a rookie, but Watt did far more than rush the passer. He was solid in coverage and against the run, he forced a fumble, and he was the only linebacker in the NFL of any age to finish with 50 tackles, five sacks, five passes defensed and an interception. Watt now appears destined for future stardom in ways far greater than the team initially envisioned for him. He is just as good a pass-rusher as the team expected. The added value comes in how well he does everything else.

That is the model that teams look for at linebacker nowadays. The era of two-down players is coming to a close. Teams are comfortable passing on any down, and a linebacker therefore needs to be able to drop into coverage and rush even if the offense is expected to run. The less a player can do, the more teams can take advantage of those weaknesses by identifying one-dimensional players and attacking them. Watt is an outside linebacker by name only. He is really just a playmaker. And that is what the Steelers need with Ryan Shazier, someone who can line up in the middle of the defense and make plays no matter what the situation.

That is a very nice description of Leighton Vander Esch, one of the NFL Draft's hottest risers after an incredible combine. He dipped his hand into every cookie jar last season as Boise State's best defensive player: 141 total tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, five passes defensed, four sacks and four forced fumbles. He doesn't have Watt's gaudy sack total, but the two played in very different defenses. They do share one important statistical trait though, which is their status as one-hit wonders in college.

Watt only had one season of significant production at Wisconsin. He didn't switch to playing defense until 2015, but just like his older brother J.J. Watt, he thrived on the other side of the ball. His first season on defense saw him make only seven tackles. His second included 11.5 sacks. Watt was a late bloomer, but once he caught on, he looked like a superstar.

Vander Esch's transformation wasn't as dramatic. Unlike the Watt brothers, he didn't change positions in college. He just needed time to gel, as he couldn't crack the starting lineup as a freshman and injuries robbed him of half of his sophomore season. But once he was healthy and assured a starting job, he dominated for a full season. That season is the only reasonable sample of what NFL teams can expect him to be, and it is also the reason teams are afraid to draft him high in the first round. Just like Watt, they are worried about a player only thriving for one college season. And just like Watt, they are going to let him fall too far because of it.

Vander Esch is doing everything in his power to prevent that, though. His combine numbers were fantastic. In the case of most players, that is vague. Players are judged mostly against expectations and other players that happen to be in their class, flawed methodology on several levels, but Vander Esch does have a very meaningful point of comparison. His combine numbers are nearly identical to Watt's. Just look at this chart.

Event Watt Vander Esch
40-Yard Dash 4.69 seconds 4.65 seconds
20-Yard Shuttle 4.15 seconds 4.13 seconds
Bench Press 21 reps 20 reps
Three-Cone Drill 6.79 seconds 6.88 seconds

Their physical proportions are just as close. Watt was 6'4'', 252 pounds at the combine, Vander Esch was measured at 6'4'', 256 pounds. He can be forgiven for those four extra pounds. As a projected inside linebacker in a 3-4 defense he would likely spend more time fighting through interior linemen. Athletically speaking, though, the two are practically twins by many of these drills.

The Steelers are ambitious about what they ask of their linebackers. The one word answer to that question is "everything." That is why James Harrison never saw the field. He couldn't hang with younger players in coverage even if he could still rush the passer and contribute on running downs. In college, Vander Esch did everything. He did so in a manner that was statistically similar to Watt, and he did so with nearly identical physical characteristics. The only major differences, aside from personality factors we aren't privy to, are stylistic. Watt was used more as a pass-rusher in college, so he became a nominal outside linebacker at the NFL level. Vander Esch played as more of a traditional linebacker, so that is where he has been projected at the NFL level.

But remember, it wasn't an outside linebacker who finished second on the Steelers in sacks behind Cam Heyward. It was Vince Williams with eight, an inside linebacker. Watt had as many passes defensed as Joe Haden. The Steelers aren't looking for players to fill defined roles. They are looking for players who can contribute. They'll figure out the fine print later. IT worked out with Watt. It can work just as well with Vander Esch.

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburg...ton-Vander-Esch-is-the-next-TJ-Watt-116763077

Shadowlight

Master
EP- Quinn isn't part of my CUBE because I am almost certain he will get drafted. The four in my CUBE I mention are still not in the absolute rock solid "will get drafted" category which is why I single them out. Speaking of Quinn his pro day is tomorrow. Quinn is very polished and should perform well in the NFL. He reminds me a bit of Adam Thielen.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Vanderesch plays a different position. He is a MLB not a pass rusher like Watt. Hopefully LVE ends up being an Urlacher/Keuchly type