2014 World Series

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
The San Francisco Giants take game 1 over The Kansas City Royals, 7-1 behind Madison Bumgarner's 3 hit 1 run performance.

Bumgarner, 5 K's, showed again why he's the current post season King. He is now 6-3 in his career in post season games, 3-0 in WS games.

Other highlights included, Hunter Pence's 2 run HR and Joe Panik's RBI triple.

Game 2 tonight. Hopefully the Giants win game 2 tonight as well, and go up 2-0 going back to SF.

Would like to see Bumgarner get WS Ring number 3 at only 25 years old!

Last edited:

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
There are probably at least 5 pitchers who I think are more talented than Bumgarner, but if I could only chose 1 for a big game, it'd be Madison. He just seems to always bring his best when there is an important game. He's got nerves of steel.

Also, it should be mentioned that Bruce Bochy is a fantastic manager. He seems to always extract the best from his teams, which sometimes don't boast the most impressive collection of talent. He also seems to pull alot of the right strings in game and has a very calming presence. Sort of like Joe Torre during the Yankees' dynasty years.

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
San Francisco takes game 5 and a 3-2 games lead behind Madison Bumgarners' complete game shutout. Bumgarner is now 7-3 in 12 post season starts and 4-0 in WS games.

Bumgarner has given up only 1 run in 31 WS innings for a 0.29 ERA!

SS Brandon Crawford had 3 RBI for the Giants!

Last edited:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Some interesting facts from a column by Dan Shaughnessy of The Boston Globe: In 1980, 54 million people watched the Royals and Phillies play a World Series game; this year the Series opener drew just 12.2 million fans, the lowest number ever. The average viewer of the World Series this year is 54.4 years old and children ages 6 to 17 comprise just 4.3% of the TV audience.

Despite the almost annual attendance records set, baseball doesn't have nearly the hold on Americans that it used to. And how many of the tickets sold for regular season games are given away or are bulk corporate purchases? It would seem that like basketball, baseball is propped up considerably by media hype out of proportion to the actual interest in the sport.

Shaughnessy's article: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...n-what-used/zQc6Q2OkZUuWgnvyToxzSN/story.html

white is right

Hall of Famer
Some interesting facts from a column by Dan Shaughnessy of The Boston Globe: In 1980, 54 million people watched the Royals and Phillies play a World Series game; this year the Series opener drew just 12.2 million fans, the lowest number ever. The average viewer of the World Series this year is 54.4 years old and children ages 6 to 17 comprise just 4.3% of the TV audience.

Despite the almost annual attendance records set, baseball doesn't have nearly the hold on Americans that it used to. And how many of the tickets sold for regular season games are given away or are bulk corporate purchases? It would seem that like basketball, baseball is propped up considerably by media hype out of proportion to the actual interest in the sport.

Shaughnessy's article: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...n-what-used/zQc6Q2OkZUuWgnvyToxzSN/story.html
Yes back then among my circle of school friends the World Series was a drama that we watched every year. I doubt the average 10 year old watches much of the series anymore. I recall around 95' the baseball playoffs were shifted to pay cable in Canada and I stopped watching every game and just went a bar or a friend that had cable television at his residence when a deciding game was happening. Now I don't even do that. I will listen to and watch the late innings on the internet if the deciding game is close. The greatest series I have ever seen was the 86' Mets coming back on the Red Sox in game 6. The chants of Schiraldi were classic.....:thumb:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
If I recall right he has been one of your favorite players C.S. I'm
glad the San Franciso Giants won. They are a fun team to watch.

Yes Sir WL. He's a local kid and I was really pulling for him. Also, KC closer Greg Holland is local also. I feel bad for him.

I don't think we'll ever see a pitcher go 3-0 in the WS ever again!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yes Sir WL. He's a local kid and I was really pulling for him. Also, KC closer Greg Holland is local also. I feel bad for him.

You've been singing his praise all year long and rightfully so! Great performance with this win I do think he hasthe edge on Kershaw!

The San Francisco Giants have now won three World Series in five years. The Giants won only one Series during Willie Mays' career 1951-72, 1954 while still in New York. They didn't win any during Barry Bonds time in San Francisco.

The Hock

Master
When the Giants won the first of these three the trophy was brought to town and displayed at the City Plaza. Many of the the town's residents are Bay Area transplants (refugees is more like it) and a very large crowd showed up to stand in line for a chance to touch the trophy and I think have their picture taken with it if they wanted to. Which I thought was pretty cool.

That last at bat must have had Ted Williams spinning in his grave. "Latin" players have a very well deserved reputation for swinging at bad pitches. A few years ago some bay area sports radio or television guy got fired for mentioning this in passing during an on air tirade. I don't think a single pitch that last batter swung at would have called a strike as they were all out of the strike zone high. Baumgartner no doubt noticed this, or already knew it, and kept feeding him high pitches till he got under one and hit an easy out pop fly foul ball. If the bonehead batter had shown any batting discipline at all he could have drawn a walk and really put the pressure on Baumgartner.

Baseball can really be a thinking man's game, but this stupid and sloppy at-bat was to me a disgusting example of another institution being dumbed down by multiculturalism.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer

The media is really singing Bumgarner's praise, and rightfully so. An all-time legendary performance in this WS. He put up video game numbers and pitched at a volume not seen since the dead ball era. He also should be a household name and on his way to super-stardom. 3 championships at 25 years old is some exclusive territory.

And now this, just for laughs....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...-during-awkward-award-ceremony-051024597.html

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Congratulations to the Giants for their World Series win, they really are a team that CF can be proud of. That would also apply to all of the final four teams this year.

Now, the people of San Francisco definitely DO NOT deserve to have this team of champions as their representatives. It's a nice city and all, I love to visit on occasion, but their brand of faggotry politics is wretch-inducing. Also, there is this "nice" display: http://news.yahoo.com/san-francisco-giants-fans-streets-world-series-win-122818765--mlb.html

Now, we can look forward to the victory parade which will be co-opted by the numerous LGBT freaks and weirdos. Yay.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
img20660528.jpg

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Congrats to the giants. Madison Bumgarner is a beast. I quickly grew tired of the royals black and Latin players - especially that ****y pitcher Ventura. I was glad to see them lose.

Shadowlight

Master
More than meets the eye --good thing Giants won

No the Giants didn't have the complete caste busting team--would have been nice if CF super sppedster Gary Brown was on the WS roster( he is white so they left him out) but they have an athletic player in Pence--who played really well--a white middle infield and of course Buster Posey--how can anyone not like that guy.
The key is they prevented the Royals from winning. Much was made of the Royals speed revolving around their Hispanic SS and three black players,Cain, Dyson and Gore. Well hell two of these guys were on the team because they were black--Dyson a spotty player and Gore nothing but a glorified pinch runner. Only Cain is an everyday player who had a pretty good year but has had a mediocre career. Big media wanted to make a big deal out of these guys--The New Yorkl Times even brought up The Negro Leagues saying speedy black man baseball rises again.
But the truth is baseball keeps white speedster away form the big leagues. Black and Hispanic CF's are promoted while whites languish in the minor Leagues. If Joc Pederson of the Dodgers was not white he would either be starting for the Dodgers or traded to a place where he would start. Instead he might grow moldy in the minor leagues another year and then get called up in his mid 20's.
At least the Royals lost because if they had won every scout in racist baseball would put these Gore like players on their rosters. BTW I don't see this team going back to the WS.