2014 North Carolina Tar Heels

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are the white starters for UNC this year. The Tar Heels feature one of the most explosive players in college football in WR Ryan Switzer, who was 1[SUP]st[/SUP] team All American as a punt returner last year! Yet, he still can’t crack the Tar Heel starting lineup. Expect to see a TON of him though, and he alone is enough to watch the Tar Heels. He scored an NCAA record-tying 5 TDs off of punt returns last year! At least the offensive line has really whitened up again this year for the Tar Heels. There are some players on defense in LBs Dan Mastromatteo and Jeff Schoettmer who will be playing as well, so the team isn’t as bad as it first appears. Since 2005, the Tar Heels have had 9, 8, 5, 7, 4, 5, 4, and 3 whites thru 2012. There was no preview last year, but I’m guessing it was probably 4-5 white starters. There’ll be a slight uptick to 5-6 white starters this year. Some backups in the 2/3 deep to look for are: WRs Ryan Switzer and Jackson Boyer, TEs Brandon Fritts and Eric Albright, LG Will Dancy, RG John Henson, LBs Dan Mastromatteo and Jeff Schoettmner, and DB Ryan Mangum. It’s worth noting that Ricky Proehl’s son, Austin, is a freshman WR on the team as well.

Offense
QB- Mitch Trubisky - in a fight for the position.
LT- John Ferranto or Bentley Spain
LG- Caleb Peterson
C- Lucas Crowley
RT- Jon Heck

Defense
MLB- Nathan Staub

Here are some of Ryan Switzer's highlights last year:

[video=youtube;Aw_se391Qmw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw_se391Qmw[/video]

Last edited:

Riggins44

Master
Switzer was a 1st Team All American last year as a true freshman. That is great. If he was black I wonder if his coach would keep him out of the starting lineup. The question answers itself. And North Carolina isn't even that good of a BCS team. It's not like Alabama or Ohio State where they have multiple high school All-Americans to choose from.

I'm going to go on the UNC website and ask this question.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Has the QB position been decided? Trubisky was a big time recruit and is better than the black quarterback who was inconsistent last season.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Has the QB position been decided? Trubisky was a big time recruit and is better than the black quarterback who was inconsistent last season.

Thanks for catching that, Leonardfan!! :) I actually wasn't aware that there was a battle going on, but I've been doing some reading, and it's likely UNC won't name a starter until their first game... I'll list it!