2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The two month marathon known as the Stanley Cup playoffs is here. The Penguins have gone all out to win this year by trading for aging stars to get them over the hump after three straight early disappointments following their championship in 2009. They play the #8 Islanders in the first round.

It's cool that I can still unabashedly root for a team, the Penguins being the only pro team I do cheer on. No affirmative action or racial bs in the NHL, at least nothing more than very minor nuisances. Go Pens!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The two month marathon known as the Stanley Cup playoffs is here. The Penguins have gone all out to win this year by trading for aging stars to get them over the hump after three straight early disappointments following their championship in 2009. They play the #8 Islanders in the first round.

It's cool that I can still unabashedly root for a team, the Penguins being the only pro team I do cheer on. No affirmative action or racial bs in the NHL, at least nothing more than very minor nuisances. Go Pens!

The Penguins?? You mean that team that panders to the large untapped black fan market by going out and getting a washed up Jerome Ignilia? :icon_wink:

I'm pulling for the team that has played in 22 straight post seasons, the lily white Red Wings!!!:rockon:

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I'll be rooting for the Penguins also!! Iginla seems to be a good/humble guy, so having him on the Penguins doesn't matter to me. Go Pens!!! :D Hopefully, Crosby will be back before too long, and Fleury won't have a repeat of his series last year against Philly. At least we have Vokoun this year to help him out.

There's a good game on NBC Sports right now between Anaheim and Detroit, tied 1-1 in the 1st.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
I'll be pulling for the NY Rangers, as I've stated before. They've got a conference semi-final rematch from last year against the Capitals. Last year it went 7 with the Rangers having home ice but this year the Caps will have that advantage. Still I like the Rangers chances have they have had success against Ovechkin and the Caps over the last few seasons. Also, the Rangers roster is 100% White so they are as good a team to root for as any.

I'll be going against the CF grain and rooting against the Penguins. The Islanders have their token negro in Kyle Okposo but they are "local" and have been lovable (well that's debatable) losers for as long as I can remember. The odds are clearly against them with Pittsburgh being the best Eastern team on paper but they could make it exciting. They have good, young scorers if nothing else. John Tavares, Michael Grabner, Matt Moulson (oldest of the bunch) and Josh Bailey.

In the West, anyone but the Red Wings. :wink:

Matra2

Master
Another spectacular comeback for Sidney Crosby. Last time he came back from injury he scored in his first shift. This time he scored after only three and a half minutes and twice overall in his first period of hockey in five weeks.

Matra2

Master
In all my decades of watching hockey I don't think I've ever seen a player punching another while he was down on the ice as the official tried to separate them. You stay classy, PK Subban.

[video=youtube;rXKi0z70Ye4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXKi0z70Ye4[/video]

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In all my decades of watching hockey I don't think I've ever seen a player punching another while he was down on the ice as the official tried to separate them. You stay classy, PK Subban.

[video=youtube;rXKi0z70Ye4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXKi0z70Ye4[/video]

I was thinking the same thing. Besides letting his inner thug rage, Subban played a terrible all-around game.

Before Subban's exemplary display of sportsmanship, there were some nasty fights in the game. Montreal was running out of players so many were tossed. Great crowd atmosphere in Ottawa also.

The Penguins managed to beat the Islanders in overtime to take a 2-1 lead. They've looked shaky, hopefully they'll decide to grind it out from this point on rather than expecting teams to wilt in their presence.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
The Vancouver Canucks are pulling their usual playoff collapse, down 3-0 already to San Jose. What a soft team not build for playoff hockey whatsoever.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
We've had some great playoff games so far this year. Pittsburgh and New York yesterday, 5-4 in OT, and tonight, with the Red Wings beating Anaheim 3-2 in OT tonight!

Also, I think the Pens are still a bit soft; they seem to wilt when the Islanders started playing physical. I agree with Don, the Pens need to be able to grind these games out, and not just expect to win; that's what happened in Game 2. It reminded me of the Flyers series a little last year with the way the Pens' offense seemed to disappear after the 1st period.

I agree with Freethinker, Vancouver has not looked good at all thus far.

There's also a great series going on between the Kings and Blues right now too.

I also see that the Wild managed to beat Chicago in OT yesterday too.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
We've had some great playoff games so far this year. Pittsburgh and New York yesterday, 5-4 in OT, and tonight, with the Red Wings beating Anaheim 3-2 in OT tonight!

Also, I think the Pens are still a bit soft; they seem to wilt when the Islanders started playing physical. I agree with Don, the Pens need to be able to grind these games out, and not just expect to win; that's what happened in Game 2. It reminded me of the Flyers series a little last year with the way the Pens' offense seemed to disappear after the 1st period.

I agree with Freethinker, Vancouver has not looked good at all thus far.

There's also a great series going on between the Kings and Blues right now too.

I also see that the Wild managed to beat Chicago in OT yesterday too.

Great win for the Wings to send it back to Anaheim tied 2-2. The Wings outshot the Ducks by more then 20 shots so it's good to see them finally win in OT after carrying the play all game.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Life's three certainties -- death, taxes, and Marc-Andre Fleury letting in one soft goal after another come playoffs time. One of the worst goalie performances ever tonight, which is saying something considering Fleury let in 30 goals in 6 games against the Flyers in last year's playoffs.

If the Penguins don't turn to Thomas Vokoun they'll likely get knocked out of the playoffs early yet again, but given their inexplicable decade-long love affair with Fleury I doubt it'll happen. Fleury should have to wear a Bozo the Clown outfit in the playoffs instead of pads and a mask.

Matra2

Master
Life's three certainties -- death, taxes, and Marc-Andre Fleury letting in one soft goal after another come playoffs time. One of the worst goalie performances ever tonight, which is saying something considering Fleury let in 30 goals in 6 games against the Flyers in last year's playoffs.

If the Penguins don't turn to Thomas Vokoun they'll likely get knocked out of the playoffs early yet again, but given their inexplicable decade-long love affair with Fleury I doubt it'll happen. Fleury should have to wear a Bozo the Clown outfit in the playoffs instead of pads and a mask.

After the Cizikas goal, which wasn't even a real shot or on target, I thought the same thing. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJRagB_cFzk

For the record I'm an Islanders fan.:icon_grin:

The Vezina Trophy candidates for best goalie were announced today. They are Bobrovsky (Columbus), Lunqvist (NY Rangers), and Niemi (San Jose). No mention of Fleury.:smile:

Matra2

Master
Disappointed to see the Islanders knocked out. (I became a hockey fan during the 80s when that great Islander team with Bossy, Nystrom, Potvin, and company were playing so they've always been my sentimental favorites).

I had to laugh at Tony Kornheiser (who knows NOTHING about hockey) saying that there's a 60% chance the Penguins will go back to Marc-Andre Fleury for the rest of the playoffs. Wilbon also laughed and said there's virtually a zero chance they'll go back to Fleury. I agree. Vokoun can be inconsistent but they've won two in a row with him. It would astonish me if Fleury gets a start for the rest of the playoffs. In fact I think Fleury's career may well be over after this season.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Vokoun was fundamentally sound, confident, and made big saves when needed, just the opposite of the comically pathetic Fleury. Fleury is unlikely to start again in the playoffs unless the 36 year old Vokoun struggles for at least two games in a row.

It's hard to know if the Islanders were a particularly tough matchup for Pittsburgh because of their speed and aggressiveness or if the Penguins just aren't playoff ready again this year; the Pens-Sens series will tell early on as Ottawa dominated Montreal in the first round.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Vokoun was fundamentally sound, confident, and made big saves when needed, just the opposite of the comically pathetic Fleury. Fleury is unlikely to start again in the playoffs unless the 36 year old Vokoun struggles for at least two games in a row.

It's hard to know if the Islanders were a particularly tough matchup for Pittsburgh because of their speed and aggressiveness or if the Penguins just aren't playoff ready again this year; the Pens-Sens series will tell early on as Ottawa dominated Montreal in the first round.

I was pleased with Vokoun's' play the last two games; especially last night, he made some tremendous saves, like you said. I hope the Penguins will be ready for Ottawa next round.

Tannehill17

Mentor
The Leafs tied up their series with Boston 3-3. I'm hoping they take game 7. I've always hated Boston and now that Tim Thomas isn't playing for them anymore, I have no reason to root for them. Go Leafs Go!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The Leafs tied up their series with Boston 3-3. I'm hoping they take game 7. I've always hated Boston and now that Tim Thomas isn't playing for them anymore, I have no reason to root for them. Go Leafs Go!

I wanted to see Toronto win because they are so hockey crazy in that city and the team has been so horrible for so long. But no fans deserve what happened last night. Up by three goals in the 3rd period? Up by two with 90 seconds? Losing in OT? That just ain't right. It has to qualify as one of the biggest choke jobs in hockey history. Poor Toronto. The hockey gods hate them.

Truthteller

Mentor
I wanted to see Toronto win because they are so hockey crazy in that city and the team has been so horrible for so long. But no fans deserve what happened last night. Up by three goals in the 3rd period? Up by two with 90 seconds? Losing in OT? That just ain't right. It has to qualify as one of the biggest choke jobs in hockey history. Poor Toronto. The hockey gods hate them.

That's probably one of the reasons why fans in Ontario are so eager to get a second team in the market -- a new arena is being built in Markham, in hopes of landing a (expansion) team in the near future? Markham is north of Toronto, so the Sabers and Senators can't thwart the deal due to proximity, like they have in Hamilton for many years.

One might figure a yet announced expansion team (Toronto 2.0) could win a cup before the Leafs ever do?

white is right

Hall of Famer
That's probably one of the reasons why fans in Ontario are so eager to get a second team in the market -- a new arena is being built in Markham, in hopes of landing a (expansion) team in the near future? Markham is north of Toronto, so the Sabers and Senators can't thwart the deal due to proximity, like they have in Hamilton for many years.

One might figure a yet announced expansion team (Toronto 2.0) could win a cup before the Leafs ever do?
I also think the second team in the outer suburbs could relieve a pressure point in ticket demand for the Leafs. The Leafs have by far and away the highest ticket prices in the league. They also have many people who pine to go to games but can't afford or find tickets that are more expensive than buying cocaine and harder to find too. The second team could be a version of the NY Islanders, New Jersey Devils or Brooklyn Nets.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I also think the second team in the outer suburbs could relieve a pressure point in ticket demand for the Leafs. The Leafs have by far and away the highest ticket prices in the league. They also have many people who pine to go to games but can't afford or find tickets that are more expensive than buying cocaine and harder to find too. The second team could be a version of the NY Islanders, New Jersey Devils or Brooklyn Nets.

And it's not just the Toronto metro area either. The rest of the province of Ontario is also hockey mad and would love a Canadian team to root for. Many games in Detroit are attended by fans from Ontario and when the Leafs are in town you can't get a ticket. Although games against the Leafs are rare in Detroit. Not so next year though.

Truthteller

Mentor
I also think the second team in the outer suburbs could relieve a pressure point in ticket demand for the Leafs. The Leafs have by far and away the highest ticket prices in the league...

Correct. I just made a quick comment, but you are right there is more than one reason people in Toronto want a second NHL team. Ticket prices is a huge issue, too. Based on what I've read on various message boards or comments after news articles, another big reason is pride.

Pride? Seems like many Canadians are offended New York has three teams in the area and Los Angeles has two in hockey....New York, L.A. and Chicago also have more than one team in other sports. Seeing how popular hockey is in Canada, they feel it's only right a 2nd team exists in the NHL.

Personally, I don't think it's really a great idea, as you can't expand the leagues fan base in the Toronto area by adding another team -- hockey is already wildly popular. I'd prefer Quebec, Seattle or even other some other cities (Hartford, Portland, Milwaukee, ect.) go ahead of them.

But I think they will get a second team on two conditions: 1) It must be an expansion team 2) The owners of the Markham club will have to pay an enormous expansion fee to "get into the club".

Winnipeg got the Thrashers for, I think, $180 million total. My guess is Markham will have to pay north of $360 million...perhaps as high as $500 million to join, via expansion?

Pure and simple, it will be a total money grab (expansion fees) by Bettman and his gang of New York lawyers.

Matra2

Master
A second team in Toronto is a no-brainer in terms of ticket sales. I spent my teenage years within commuting distance of Toronto and went to university in the city itself so I know there are a lot of hockey fans who don't really follow the Leafs. When I was growing up there were fans of teams other than the Leafs and lots who followed the NHL but only rooted against teams rather than cheering for them. Also the Leafs are now owned by Bell and Rogers, two of the most disliked, if not hated, companies in all of Canada, something which does not endear them to a lot of people.

Anyone who has watched a game from the ACC knows how dead the atmosphere is at a Leaf game, especially when compared to Detroit or Montreal. That's because a lot of the people at the games are upper class social status seekers rather than the real fans. Don Cherry once pointed out what a disgrace it is that after each intermission half the seats are empty until well into the period because the "fans" are out socializing and getting fancy sandwiches or whatever and can't be bothered getting back to see the start of each period.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Cherry once pointed out what a disgrace it is that after each intermission half the seats are empty until well into the period because the "fans" are out socializing and getting fancy sandwiches or whatever and can't be bothered getting back to see the start of each period.

They're probably out smoking. It seems whenever I visit Canada on business an inordinate amount of time is spent in the indulgence of tobacco. I think Canadians smoke a lot because they are patriotic, with the tax on ciggies at about $10 a pack, it's like smokers are funding the government.

Matra2

Master
They're probably out smoking. It seems whenever I visit Canada on business an inordinate amount of time is spent in the indulgence of tobacco. I think Canadians smoke a lot because they are patriotic, with the tax on ciggies at about $10 a pack, it's like smokers are funding the government.

Smoking is actually considered to be a low class habit in Canada.

Sidney Crosby scored a hat-trick last night against the Senators. He's got to be the single most talented North American athlete yet most ESPN viewers probably wouldn't even recognise him on the street.

Here's a great goal he scored last week against the Islanders:

[video=youtube;uc3rtTvovBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc3rtTvovBA[/video]

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I was at the old Mellon Arena in 2007 watching the Penguins play the Canadiens when Crosby scored one of those highlight reel goals where he beats several defenders and finishes the play with a great shot for a score. Fun as hell to witness in person.

I watched a fair amount of home playoff games in Pittsburgh. Hockey's the best sport to watch in person, and the playoffs are the best of all, when the excitement factor is through the roof.

If Crosby was taller he'd be even more dominant than he is. He's a (considerably) shorter version of Mario, with genius-level ice vision and fantastic hand-eye coordination.

Would be great to see the Penguins go up 3-0 in games with a win in Ottawa Sunday night, but even if they lose it's hard to see the Senators winning the series.