2013 Penn State Nittany Lions

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Penn St. was a huge surprise last year - Matt McGloin stepped in and really took hold of Bill O'Brien's offense. Zach Zwinak came out of nowhere to run for 1000yds. Mike Mauti and Matt Zordich both became team leaders in guiding the team through scandal. It appears that Bill O'Brien has put a stop to recruiting black quarterbacks as well. Christian Hackenburg was one of the biggest QB recruits last year and looks like he will be starting as a true freshman.

Since '05, Penn State has had 8, 10, 9, 8, 12, 10,8, 10 white players. In 2013 they are projected to have 9 white starters. Some other players to look out for are WR Matt Zanellato, OG Angelo Manigro, DE Anthony Zettel, DT Derek Dowrey, LB Glen Kline, DT Kyle Babulitz, SS Ryan Keiser, FS Jesse Della-Valle. Their recruiting class in 2013 had three 4 star players - OG Brendan Mahon, DE Garrett Sickels and TE Adam Brenneman to go along with 5 star QB Christian Hackenburg. It looks like their is a ton of white talent and depth all over the roster which is promising.

Offense
QB- Christian Hackenburg or Tyler Ferguson
RB - Zach Zwinak
FB- Pat Zerbe
TE- Matt Lehman or Jesse James
LG- Miles Dieffenbach
C- Ty Howle
RT- Adam Gress

Defense

MLB- Glenn Carson
OLB- Mike Hull

Tough game against Syracuse today...Penn State still has White players but I think less then last year.....They have finally gone back to a White pocket QB. Young freshman but shows a lot of promise...

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Well, Penn State true frosh QB Christian Hackenberg has looked very poised this year already - I'm expecting BIG things from him in the coming years.

Also, I think Zack Zwinak is still the Nittany Lion's workhorse back. Belton and Lynch were only getting those carries was because it was Eastern Michigan, and they were blowing them out. They want to save Zack for the conference schedule; with a freshman QB, they'll be relying on him quite a bit. On their most recent depth chart, he was the undisputed starter.

Leonardfan has them all right, except there are two white additions:

DT- Kyle Baublitz
S- Ryan Keiser- plays a lot, co-starter pretty much.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Well, it appears I was wrong about Zwinak... I looked at PSU's game notes and depth chart for this week, and Zwinak is now listed as a co-starter with Belton and Lynch.:mad2: I still think(hope) that Zwinak will get most of the carries though.

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
Zwinak didn't play in the spring game, but boy did walk on Cole Chiappialle have a great day. Lead all rushers with 63 yards and two touchdowns on only 8 carries. There is some word that he may actually receive significant carries as a back up this year.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Franklin recruited a black quarterback who has committed to PSU. Looks like the white resurgence at the position will be done when Hackenberg goes to the pros. Hopefully Hackenberg's development isn't hindered by O'Brien's departure.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
In the Western Pennsylvania media, Franklin's hiring has been treated as if he is a messiah. But last week I heard something about Franklin maybe being in trouble for contacting a rape victim and her family after several Vanderbilt football players allegedly raped her, the implication being that Franklin was trying to get her to ease off. I haven't followed it closely and likely nothing will come of it given Franklin's black skin privilege, but it reminded me of when Pitt hired a black football coach a few years ago to much hoopla, only to find out he was a chronic wife beater who was quickly forced out. . .

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
In the Western Pennsylvania media, Franklin's hiring has been treated as if he is a messiah. But last week I heard something about Franklin maybe being in trouble for contacting a rape victim and her family after several Vanderbilt football players allegedly raped her, the implication being that Franklin was trying to get her to ease off. I haven't followed it closely and likely nothing will come of it given Franklin's black skin privilege, but it reminded me of when Pitt hired a black football coach a few years ago to much hoopla, only to find out he was a chronic wife beater who was quickly forced out. . .

I remember hearing that to, I also remember that laughable episode with the Pitt coach. O'Brien's departure from PSU hurt's us from a caste perspective. He was doing a pretty good job recruiting white athletes.