2013 Moscow World Championships

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Here is the official World Champs Thread. Let's get this discussion going. Some of the events I'm really looking forward to are
the 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500 meters races both mens and womens. The long jump where I want to see Menkov win with Rutherford taking the silver. Obviously I want to see Christophe do well in the 100 & 200 along with the 4 x 100 Relay. The mens high jump should be really exciting as I think Boderenko has a chance to break the world record. The mens pole vault and many other events. I would like to see some of the german sprinters do well like Reus and Keller. It might be the last chance for Tumi to do anything this year but I don't expect much. Looking forward to the Borlee brothers and a few others over 400 meters. I'm also hoping some of the female sprinters can make the womens 100 meters finals.

Let's get the topics going guys. It starts on Satuday, August 10th and we have 7 days and nights of non stop athletics!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Here is the official World Champs Thread. Let's get this discussion going. Some of the events I'm really looking forward to are
the 100, 200, 400, 800 and 1500 meters races both mens and womens. The long jump where I want to see Menkov win with Rutherford taking the silver. Obviously I want to see Christophe do well in the 100 & 200 along with the 4 x 100 Relay. The mens high jump should be really exciting as I think Boderenko has a chance to break the world record. The mens pole vault and many other events. I would like to see some of the german sprinters do well like Reus and Keller. It might be the last chance for Tumi to do anything this year but I don't expect much. Looking forward to the Borlee brothers and a few others over 400 meters. I'm also hoping some of the female sprinters can make the womens 100 meters finals.

Let's get the topics going guys. It starts on Satuday, August 10th and we have 7 days and nights of non stop athletics!
I think a victory for the White 100 meter runners would be seeing the two Germans and Lemaitre in the semis. All including Lemaitre will need a weak semi-final to sneak into the finals and the two Germans will need pb's and new German record to make the final. Lemaitre will need to run about as good as he did in Morocco, that looks like a tall order of his recent form. Ps this would probably be the year Lemaitre should concentrate on the deuce as his form in the deuce is clearly better than the 100.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I disagree that he should only run the 200 meters. Lemaitre did that in London and he still went up empty handed. There all no guarantees
at the highest levels like olympics and world champs. Take every chance that you can to grab a medal. Anything can and will happen. He did fine two at the last world champs in 2011. He finished 4th in the 100 and came back in the 200 to take a bronze medal in a personal best
time of 19.80! If he had a little better start, he would have taken the bronze in both events. Christophe may suprise us all and finally get
a few good starts out of the blocks. From what I hear, that is all they are working on outside of form and a little speed endurance which I think he is ok as of right now. It's his start that has to improve to have any chance of making the finals or possibly taking home a medal.

Julian Reus is still pissed about his 10.08 run. Despite almost no wind, he is adament that he could have gone faster. He says he won't be happy in moscow unless he runs his best race. He has not come close to doing that yet. I love his confidence. Who knows, maybe Keller can
maintain his form too. It's going to be one exciting week for sure. I do think we will see some world records broken by not by Bolt. I see the mens high jump and possibly even the mens pole vault.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I disagree that he should only run the 200 meters. Lemaitre did that in London and he still went up empty handed. There all no guarantees
at the highest levels like olympics and world champs. Take every chance that you can to grab a medal. Anything can and will happen. He did fine two at the last world champs in 2011. He finished 4th in the 100 and came back in the 200 to take a bronze medal in a personal best
time of 19.80! If he had a little better start, he would have taken the bronze in both events. Christophe may suprise us all and finally get
a few good starts out of the blocks. From what I hear, that is all they are working on outside of form and a little speed endurance which I think he is ok as of right now. It's his start that has to improve to have any chance of making the finals or possibly taking home a medal.

Julian Reus is still pissed about his 10.08 run. Despite almost no wind, he is adament that he could have gone faster. He says he won't be happy in moscow unless he runs his best race. He has not come close to doing that yet. I love his confidence. Who knows, maybe Keller can
maintain his form too. It's going to be one exciting week for sure. I do think we will see some world records broken by not by Bolt. I see the mens high jump and possibly even the mens pole vault.
Leading up to London his form was clearly better and wasn't a long shot to make the final in the 100. He was about even money, on form he looked like solid bronze medal favorite in the 200 and if the chips fell right he could win a silver. This year his form has been way off in the 100 and in the deuce it's been similar to the puzzling 200 final race. That said 200 finals at world and Olympic finals are much more wide open than 100 finals because of scratches and runners who have "dead" legs. Ps I do agree he should have won a bronze once Bolt was dq'ed.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A quick last minute interview with Christope Lemaitre. He say he feels great and is ready to run fast!

IINTERVIEW

"Last Sunday, late afternoon. The sun hits in Aix-les-Bains. Christophe Lemaitre, shirtless, in training ends with 4x100 lights. Before going to recover in a bath of ice water the Savoyard loop its meeting by 100 m, while loosening. largely manual a time below 10 seconds confirms the beautiful impression. Aix the coaches Pierre Carraz and Thierry Tribondeau prefer to keep this time for them. But their smile says it all.

How do you feel a breath of World?

"I feel good, I feel good in training. I even think they are better than those of previous years at this same stage of the season. I've never felt such. The time give me Pierrot (Carraz) and Thierry (Tribondeau) are good. This proves that I am in shape. Until now, I just had technical problems and I started to settle for the 100 m above. Details are honed, it's not perfect yet but it looks very good. Now, I just need to reiterate it in competition. "
So, do you live ambitious for these world championships?

"Totally. Even if I am not at present in my time in 2011 or 2012, I am confident that I can get a medal on the 200m. "

• You will approach 100 m without pressure?

"No. I will approach the same way as the 200. I play my card base and see what it will be. After that, I know my 10 "07 this season are 100 m far from what I can do. I showed in training, I'm worth that much better this time."

• The objective of 100 m, it is the final?

"At a minimum. If I'm not there, it will be a big disappointment. It is mandatory that I am in the 100 m final. "

white lightning

Hall of Famer
8.08.2013 | World Cup 2013 | Alexandra Neuhaus
German sprinter faster than ever
So fast were the German sprinter in width probably never. 10.07 and 10.08 seconds ran Martin Keller (LAZ Leipzig) and Julian Reus (TV Wattenscheid 01) last Friday in Weinheim. Only the Magdeburg Frank Emmelmann was 28 years ago faster. A starting position, the hope of the relay at the World Championships in Moscow (Russia) makes.

Martin Keller (left) and Julian Reus run the relay team (Photo: Chai)

"That's how I like that" Germany coach Roland Stein is mostly good mood on Friday night he had very good reasons for this: All of his top four relay sprinter ran shortly before leaving for Russia or Saisonbestmarke best time. Besides basement and Reus shone Sven Knipphals (VfL Wolfsburg) with fastest time of 10.20 seconds Lucas Jakubczyk (SCC Berlin) ran season best of 10.21 seconds. Strong individual performances, which were also reflected in the relay, where the quartet was established just over a year ago the German record of 38.02 seconds to 38.13 seconds.

"The conditions in Weinheim were of course perfect," says Stone, but also knows: "If you do not have it, do not you walk even with perfect conditions such times." Especially since not even all the sprinters were satisfied. While Martin Keller confidently announced at the finish, "I already knew all season that I can run it," contended the German champion Reus with his performance. "Since this year I have already shown better race." Not in terms of time, because that was the fastest he has ever run, but the race distribution was not optimal. "I ran back totally cramped, this should not happen to me in Moscow."

"Accident" in London

If jump out 10.08 seconds at the World Cup after a tense drive that is objectively but still pretty good to get over. Not to get over would be a similar season appearance as when the Diamond League meeting in London (UK), where the quartet did not bring the baton to the finish first.

"An industrial accident," Roland Stein calls this botched operation. The error is, however, quite easy to fix. The magic formula: "Look on the right mark." Sven Knipphals had, starting at position two, incorrectly oriented to the marking of the Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre and was so utterly gone off too early. "Better that happens in London at the World Championships in Moscow," says Stein and believes "it was a good warning shot for us."

A warning shot but also led the squadron that occurred significantly more defensive than last year at the World Cup adoption in Weinheim. "We have changed only on safety," says Stein. A German record, as in the previous year, which was not the goal from the beginning. Here, coaches and athletes agree: Less than 38 seconds - that is possible.

"If we maintain the current form over the next two weeks, I assume, then in Moscow, a new German record in it," says Mr. Stone. And the athletes themselves are self-aware: "Our individual performances are so strong, there must be a 37er-time in jumping out," says Julian Reus.

Reward for hard training

The reason for the strong individual performances? "We have spent the last week in Kienbaum again worked really hard," says Stein. And not only there. Even the year the team trained together continuously, prepared as pre-season in the us U.S. WWII Clermont on the World Cup summer before. "Our coaching staff has analyzed a lot of winter," says Reus. Not only the German athletes, but especially the sprint style of foreign teams. "Sprint is so much more than just straight running," said Reus.

On the technique to get it, subtleties not apparent to non eye, which may be the crucial hundredths however. "This is a science in itself," said Reus. Although the technique but you can not copy other athletes one on one, nevertheless abschauen some of these subtleties. In concrete terms, the German athletes have increasingly worked on the analysis on foot strike and the angle between the thigh and calf order to turn as much force as possible to speed. "That sounds complicated, but really what has brought," said Reus.

10.14 seconds on average

Apparently, because after no 100m sprinter was nominated for a single start at the last World Championships in Daegu (South Korea), launched this year with a basement and Reus two athletes over 100 meters in Moscow. And also in the density of the top German sprinter has never been as strong as at the moment. The average of the four best German sprinter this year is strong 10.14 seconds. There were times, about 2011, since not a single German sprinter ran throughout the year as a time. While the goals given the international level through the single track but are manageable (Reus: "I want the semi-finals"), the expectations screw in the light of the benefits shown in the last level.

"The current strong individual times we must take advantage of in the season," coach Stone puts it more cautiously. Julian Reus says: "When we made it to the finals, we can get involved in our present form, the front without having to hope for a failure of the other teams." And Martin Keller sums it up: "Maybe we'll even get bronze. "

Jamaica behind everything open

Up front, there run in the relay, Jamaicans and Americans. "Since we do not need to look, that's unrealistic," says Mr. Stone. But behind it, there lurk the next teams from France, Trinidad and Tobago or the United Kingdom and Canada, the Germans on their medal chance.

The 38.13 seconds, which offered the DLV team on Friday night, the national team, currently the third fastest time in the world. "That is nothing yet," warns Roland Stein. "Some relay teams have not yet been shown." They will probably do now until the World Cup lead. "That's why we have to go there on our border," said Reus. And is below the 38-second mark.

greyghost

Mentor
predictions

barring injury ...and with a little luck with draws in heats... dai greene will medal in the 400 hurdles...also as a good bet rhys williams.....shubenkov in the 110 hurdles a definite finalist where anything could happen, he will push the 13 second barrier......400 meters after james is wide open taking into account doping cheats....verena sailer and iveta lalova are good bets for the 100meter womens final....i also see ryemyen of the ukraine medalling over 200 meters womens ...and a female czech 400meter hudles gold...including amedal for eilidh child of britain .......also reus will make a final with luck in draws of heats ,semis etc.....also i reckon martin will push the 10 second barrier......and indeed lemaitre wil medal over 200..and into the 9s over 100meter...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I like your predictions bro. I agree with alot of them. I hope Sally Pearson can win gold in the hurdles and Shubenkov can win the mens hurdles. He will make the finals without a doubt and I think he is due for a huge new p.b. He needs to at least medal in front of the
home crowd.

The morning session starts in around 5 hours from now. We will have to make sure we have some links ready.

I have a good feeling that Christophe is ready to shock some people. I also feel good about the two german sprinters Keller and Reus. It's a shame that Tumi never found his stride outdoors but he will be there. Maybe Sakalauskas will be a suprise or some other names we haven't
heard in a while. Gemeli should do very well too.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Ok gentlemen. We are around an hour and a half away from the start of the morning session for day one at the world champs in moscow. The mens 100 opening heats are around the 3rd event so we will see the guys we like very early on. I'm pumped for some track action.

Here is the live link. Good luck guys.

http://www.watchathletics.com/page/450/iaaf-world-championships-moscow-live-stream-1
2 Chinese nationals made the semi final and one equaled the national record and looked like he had a lot in the tank in his heat. On form he looks like he could be the first East Asian in a major hundred meter final since before WWII. Also in the decathlon Ashton Eaton looks like he is in a dog fight with young Gunnar Nixon(after the first day). Eaton's form was off in the high jump and Nixon has been at pr levels for the first day. Note Trey Hardee no highted on the high jump and is out of contention and will probably withdraw from the competition.

freedom1

Mentor
Chinese

Peimeng Zhang 10.04 into slight negative wind.

I want to see him slap on on Bruce Lee Jeet Kun Do tracksuit for the semis and break that 10.00 barrier.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm happy to see Zhang running so well as well as a few of the asians. The european sprinters just looked awful. I can't ever remember all of
our guys except one ever getting knocked out in the first round. Hell even Matic Osonikar went all the way to the world champs finals back
in 2007.

It would be nice to see Zhang and Lemaitre make the finals.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I'm happy to see Zhang running so well as well as a few of the asians. The european sprinters just looked awful. I can't ever remember all of
our guys except one ever getting knocked out in the first round. Hell even Matic Osonikar went all the way to the world champs finals back
in 2007.

It would be nice to see Zhang and Lemaitre make the finals.
The few that are even competing. I didn't see a Pole, Italian a Ukrainian and the only Russian was a wild card entry who qualified because his nation was the host.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I was looking at reaction times in the mens sprints. Zhang had the fastest by far at a 0.124! That is what I call reacting to the gun. Excellent
way to get such a jump on the field. One thing that showed me how far Jimmy Vicaut has come. He had a 0.204 reaction time but destroyed the whole field winning by a huge margin despite coasting the last 10+ meters! This kid is going to run into the 9.80's very soon. If only
Lemaitre was in this type of form. I think that if nerves don't play a factor, Vicaut could take the bronze medal. He is at another level than
most right now. Only the jamaicans can beat him if he runs his race. That being said, nerves probably will kill it for him as he has never ran
at such a big event under so much pressure. Vicaut is 21 so he might just crack under pressure.

Ok back to Lemaitre. Sometimes I wonder if he needs a hearing aid as he struggles to react to the gun. Yes he doesn't have much of a drive phase either. I know that but it is also his inability to start moving at the starters gun shot. I see it time and time again. He should wear a
hearing aid just for the races. I know it sounds funny but it might help him. I feel like he has an average chance of making the finals but
there is no way to know for sure. He needs to be relaxed at the start like how he finished his race. Christophe is always tight in the blocks and it shows both indoors and outdoors. Relax Christophe. Don't over analyse or over think things. The pressure is killing you. Just relax
and run like it's a training session.

The best case scenario tommorow would be a sub 10 wind legal for Lemaitre in the semi finals. That would put a smile back on his face and
take some of the pressure off. Remember what the announcers said way back at the Penn Relays where he won the 100 meters. When he
doesn't feel pressured, he runs great and loose as a goose. When he feels pressured, he crawls into his shell and has these awful
performances.

One last thing on Reus. If you would have told me that a time of 10.27 would be too slow to get out of the first round, I wouldn't have
believed it. Damn these sprinters are getting so fast with or with out the wind! I hope Julian Reus and Martin Keller both run more
at international competitions in europe. They need more experience. I agree with jacknyc on that factor. The nerves showed today!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
A couple of short quotes from the german sprinters after getting knocked out of the 100 meters.

REACTION TO COMPETITION:

Julian Reus (TV Wattenscheid 01):

I can run significantly faster under 10.20 has been there. I did not put it on the web today. Moreover you need not talk long, it's not what I can do. I may have to behave a bit, I too tried to swim along and aggressiveness not quite found. Then it's hard to pull off his thing in such a field. These are the races that we need. In big race to get otherwise not pure. You can walk in a B-race in the Diamond League. Then you must consider: I run in Rome in the B-run or in Regensburg two races and season. We are just in the second class in the sprint. Nevertheless, it was too little, what I have shown here.

Martin Keller (LAZ Leipzig):

A tenth faster'd's may be already! At the fifth or sixth step I came a bit out of step. The start was not good. We practiced with the starters yesterday, as he has not waited so long. But that should be no excuses everything.

One last thing guys. What happened to Michael Tumi? Not that he would have done anything but he was listed on the italian team for the
individual 100 a week ago. I'm guessing he got hurt or something. What an awful start to the world champs.

Come on Christophe! Go out there and kill it tommorow.

TBProdigy

Guru
I was looking at reaction times in the mens sprints. Zhang had the fastest by far at a 0.124! That is what I call reacting to the gun. Excellent
way to get such a jump on the field. One thing that showed me how far Jimmy Vicaut has come. He had a 0.204 reaction time but destroyed the whole field winning by a huge margin despite coasting the last 10+ meters! This kid is going to run into the 9.80's very soon. If only
Lemaitre was in this type of form. I think that if nerves don't play a factor, Vicaut could take the bronze medal. He is at another level than
most right now. Only the jamaicans can beat him if he runs his race. That being said, nerves probably will kill it for him as he has never ran
at such a big event under so much pressure. Vicaut is 21 so he might just crack under pressure.

Ok back to Lemaitre. Sometimes I wonder if he needs a hearing aid as he struggles to react to the gun. Yes he doesn't have much of a drive phase either. I know that but it is also his inability to start moving at the starters gun shot. I see it time and time again. He should wear a
hearing aid just for the races. I know it sounds funny but it might help him. I feel like he has an average chance of making the finals but
there is no way to know for sure. He needs to be relaxed at the start like how he finished his race. Christophe is always tight in the blocks and it shows both indoors and outdoors. Relax Christophe. Don't over analyse or over think things. The pressure is killing you. Just relax
and run like it's a training session.

The best case scenario tommorow would be a sub 10 wind legal for Lemaitre in the semi finals. That would put a smile back on his face and
take some of the pressure off. Remember what the announcers said way back at the Penn Relays where he won the 100 meters. When he
doesn't feel pressured, he runs great and loose as a goose. When he feels pressured, he crawls into his shell and has these awful
performances.

One last thing on Reus. If you would have told me that a time of 10.27 would be too slow to get out of the first round, I wouldn't have
believed it. Damn these sprinters are getting so fast with or with out the wind! I hope Julian Reus and Martin Keller both run more
at international competitions in europe. They need more experience. I agree with jacknyc on that factor. The nerves showed today!

As always your commentary and breakdowns are appreciated WL, I watched the whole day of events yesterday, was very disappointed to say at the least, some positive results in the decathlon but things are making for a very bleak championship at the moment

TBProdigy

Guru
Shubenkov just ran very well!

13.14 slowing towards the end, although he got an instant 5m lead from an unbelievable start.

However i have this nasty feeling that Shubenkov has absolutely no chance at gold even if he runs the race of his life, definitely Bronze maybe, I just don't think he's talented enough to dominate the rest of the field.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Lemaitre with a typical bad start in the semis, but able to run fast enough to qualify for the final as one of the fastest losers in 10.00.
I'm glad he made the final, if only barely.

However it is pretty evident that with his terrible start, he won't be able to run down enough runners at this level to finish in the medals.
Bottom line (which I know has been said here over and over):
he needs to improve his start; and he needs to make a DRAMATIC change to do so.

Last edited:

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Another interesting note:
Peimeng Zhang of China ran 10.00 in the semis.
He didn't qualify for the finals (Lemaitre out leaned him at the finish), but came within 1/100th of becoming the first sub-10 Asian.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Despite it being an up and down year, I'm so happy for Christophe to make the finals. Anything is possible but he proved the skeptics wrong by just getting there. Way to go Christophe! He will get his start fixed. I'm sure of it. Maybe not this year but soon. He is too smart of a guy to continue to struggle year after year. The future will be bright. As for later in the 100 finals, a top 5 finish would be great with a medal being the icing on the cake. I'm shocked Vicaut didn't make it but it proves how hard racing at the highest level is running rounds.

Way to go Nick Symonds. I wish Kszott could have made the 400 finals too but we have some guys to root for. Shubenkov will make the
medal stand in my honest opinion. This is so much fun to watch.