2012 Hall of Fame

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Barry Larkin got in with 86.4 percent of the vote, as predicted by the corporate media pundits. I consider him a borderline Hall of Famer at best. A long and productive career but no more worthy than second baseman Alan Trammel (36.8%). A good but not great hitter with modest power and pretty good speed, and a good but not great fielder. Certainly not as worthy as Jeff Bagwell (just 56%) and Dale Murphy (a mere 14.5%). Even Larry Walker (22.9%) is more worthy than Larkin imo.

Mark McGwire got his usual 19%; next year Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Roger Clemens become eligible. I'll predict Bonds gets in his first year of eligibility and Clemens doesn't (and neither will Sosa).

Craig Biggio, Mike Piazza and Curt Shilling are also eligible next year so there should be a ton of media attention leading up to the announcement of the results. Biggio deserves to make it his first year of eligibility but probably won't. Piazza is a borderline Hall of Famer; I don't think Shilling deserves enshrinement but he'll probably make it after being eligible for several years as he was one of those rare White athletes liked and hyped by the media the way black stars routinely are.

Last edited:

white is right

Hall of Famer
Yes I was going to post the results. It seemed like the baseball high priests elected a player who they all could agree on had no history with PED usage. At best he is a marginal hall of fame player who should have to wait as long as Dawson did. It also looks like Jack Morris will make it as he is gathering votes with the high priests late in his eligibility run, similar to Blyleven. I also think Lee Smith(borderline guy) and Tim Raines will make it too.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I don't think it would be a crime for Tim Raines or Lee Smith to get it. They were both at the top in thier respective skills when they played (closer and speedster). Larkin?? The racial politics of sport is alive and well in that pick. Alan Trammell with near exact numbers and career achievement doesn't get a whiff but Larkin gets in? Ridiculous.

As a Detroiter I always liked Jack Morris and as the winningest pitcher of the 1980's he certainly deserves consideration. He would not be a bad pick. Too bad he wasn't hispanic on his mothers side or gay or something then he could be worthy of the Hall of Fame.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Jack Morris has had his high ERA held against him. But Morris admitted if he had a big lead he just threw it down the plate and didn't try and nibble away to get an out. I think Raines should get in but Smith is soooo borderline, while being the saves leader for years he was always viewed as a compiler and was never a feared closer. Also Jeff Bagwell is getting in, in a few ballots. Next year should be fun with all of the steroid scarlet letter players eligible for the first time.

Last edited: