2011 Indoor season

white lightning

Hall of Famer
In the mens 200 finals at the UK Trials, 19 year old Danny Talbot took first in a time of 20.89 to just beat Andy Turner. Andy had won the 60 hurdles finals yesterday and was going for the double. He led most of the way but Talbot caught him at the end. Here is a pic of Danny Talbot. Maybe another youngster from the UK to keep an eye on.
GYI0061116120_crop_450x500.jpg1279833475
Edited by: white lightning

the argie

Guru
Someone might say to me if Ramil Guliyev is going to take part inany meeting?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He switched countries. He is going to be running for Turkey now. The two countries were fighting over him. Ramil also lost his father(who was his coach),last summer. I don't think we will see him again until the summer time. I just hope he can regain his form of two years ago. What a talent!

trackster

Mentor
Good catch on Talbot, Lightning. That is an excellent indoor time for someone so young. It was hard to find times to get excited about at the UK trials, on account of the dreadful scheduling you mentioned earlier. Virtually every event had to run repeated heats and finals in the same day. Talbot was clearly the guy that stood out.

Incidentally, I had to look up Talbot, as I didn't recall his name, and the search led me to another UK name we were briefly excited about last summer: Kieran Showler-Davis. Both Talbot and Showler-Davis were disappointing at the World Junior Games. However, it seems they are both getting training money nevertheless, so hopefully their development will continue:

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/spar-sprint-stars/0813824-talbot-sets-his-sights-further-honours-after-breakthrough-2010

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/rising-stars/0313799-showler-davis-looking-make-disappointing-2010

This also makes me wonder about that Belgian kid (a sprinter) who disappointed at the same event. Do you know if he's competed any this year, lightning?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Nothing new on Julien Watrin. I will let you know as soon as I hear something. Talbot is a good sprinter but I have even higher hopes for Showler Davis. He is a beast. Built like a freight train and he sure can run and jump. Tremendous athlete and a good sprinter. He just needs more experience.

albinosprint

Mentor
white lightning said:
In the mens 200 finals at the UK Trials, 19  year old Danny Talbot took first in a time of 20.89 to just beat Andy Turner. Andy had won the 60 hurdles finals yesterday and was going for the double. He led most of the way but Talbot caught him at the end. Here is a pic of Danny Talbot. Maybe another youngster from the UK to keep an eye on.
<div>
GYI0061116120_crop_450x500.jpg1279833475
</div>

very impressive! good find WL!

white is right

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
He switched countries. He is going to be running for Turkey now. The two countries were fighting over him. Ramil also lost his father(who was his coach),last summer. I don't think we will see him again until the summer time. I just hope he can regain his form of two years ago. What a talent!
I know in the past Turkey has bought the citizenship of athletes from East Africa to compete for Turkey. I just hope Turkey has world class coaches in the sprints. He could be wasting his career if they don't.

the argie

Guru
white lightning said:

Do you know who is his new coach?

I listened thathe had changed his nationality, but I don't know when it happened. Do you know when? Can he compite with Turkey in Daegu or will he wait to London?

white lightning

Hall of Famer

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Sebastian Ernst had another big win today in Birmingham with Talbot coming in 2nd!

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=780>
<T>
<TR vAlign=line>
<TD =#ffffff align=middle>1</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right>
clear.gif
</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=left>Sebastian ERNST</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right><NOBR>GER<OBR></TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right><NOBR>20.58<OBR></TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=middle>
<TD =#ffffff align=right>0.259</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right>PB</TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TR vAlign=line>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=middle>2</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right>
clear.gif
</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=left>Danny TALBOT</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right><NOBR>GBR<OBR></TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right><NOBR>20.94<OBR></TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=middle>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right>0.283</TD>
clear.gif
</TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TR vAlign=line>
<TD =#ffffff align=middle>3</TD>
clear.gif
</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=left>Michael RODGERS</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right><NOBR>USA<OBR></TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right><NOBR>20.97<OBR></TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right>0.284</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right>SB</TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TR vAlign=line>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=middle>4</TD>
clear.gif
</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=left>Kim COLLINS</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right><NOBR>SKN<OBR></TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right><NOBR>21.33<OBR></TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right>0.225</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right>SB</TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TR vAlign=line>
<TD =#ffffff align=middle>5</TD>
clear.gif
</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=left>Ryan SHIELDS</TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right><NOBR>JAM<OBR></TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right><NOBR>21.52<OBR></TD>
<TD =#ffffff align=right>0.224</TD>
clear.gif
</TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TR vAlign=line>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=middle>6</TD>
clear.gif
</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=left>Chris CRAIG</TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right><NOBR>GBR<OBR></TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right><NOBR>21.91<OBR></TD>
<TD =#c3e4ed align=right>0.227</TD>
clear.gif
</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

trackster

Mentor
Other results from the big Birmingham meet:

1500--Russell Brown, fresh off his big victory over Webb, Willis, Verzbicas, etc--flew to the UK to face the Kenyans. He wasn't unable to hang with them (finishing fifth), but if jet lag was at all a factor (he lives on the west coast, so that's halfway around the world), then the 3:38 indoors he ran should be considered promising. It's a good time. He needed a 3:33 to beat the Kenyans, unfortunately. He beat both Brits, McCourt and Baddeley. I've been noticing for a while, a potential renaissance in US mid and long distance events, but the Brits are simply not joining in.

400--the "national" (Brit) 400 produced times for Richard Strachan, Nick Leavey that were as good as the international 400. Furthermore, young Jack Green (discussed earlier) went under 47 seconds indoors for the first time (in the outdoor season, he has always been a hurdler). Given his youth, he remains worthy of attention.

60--Pickering last in the finals. Hopefully, he'll have a better outdoor season.

5k--you might say I'm saving the best for last. Recent college grad (long time prodigy) Galen Rupp broke the US Indoor 5000 record. He has to be included in the pool of athletes potentially leading the US out of the distance wilderness. However, the time 13:11 still isn't really approaching Kenyan standards, and he did finish only second. Keep at it, Galen.

Oh, wait, one more: Jenny Meadows ran a sub 2:00 800 indoor. Impressive, given that the "she"-beast Caster Semenya ran a 2:04 on the same day, and she was outdoors.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Martynas Jurgilas ran another new p.b. of 6.65 today. Kansas State has a very good sprinter in Jurgilas. I can see him setting some new personal bests outdoors this year too. Also Jan Veleba ran a 6.65 today too over in Europe. Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to make a point about the european male sprinters. Some of our stars are getting old. A few examples would be Matic Osovnikar, Simone Collio, Emanuelle DiGregario, Tobias Unger, and Alexander Kosenkow to name but a few. All of thesee guys are in their 30's so there best days are most likely behind them. Amazing what Kim Collins is doing at 32 but he sure looks alot bigger than he ever has. He is running a 6.50 after all these year and has muscles now. It makes me wonder even though he has always been a class act. Hope he didn't give it to the peds too. My point is that most of these guys are probably on the down side of their careers.

Then you have other guys in their mid to late 20's who are stuck in neutral or reverse. Guys like Craig Pickering, Fabio Cerrutti, Paul Hession, etc. These guys are in the now or never points most likely. If they are going to break out and make some noise, it needs to happen in the next couple of years. Will it happen? I'm not sure but it's not looking good at the moment.

So then that leaves us with the young sprinters. Other than Christophe Lemaitre, many others are a question mark. Will Ramil Guliyev return to form and actually race again? What about Robert Herring who looked so good in the last World Champs at only 19. When is he going to return to form. Will guys like Richard Kilty stay healthy and get better? There are alot of new names like Talbot, Showler Davis, and many others. The question is will they continue to develop at the senior level like they did at the junior level?

Many question marks with only a couple of weeks until the Indoor Champs in Paris. I was very happy with the results at the last European Indoor Champs. Our guys took silver and bronze in the 60 meters and the women did very well too. We had multiple sprinters running in the high 6.50's a few years ago. Now we only have one. I'm not expecting too much in Paris outside of Christophe. Maybe in the 200 it might be a little better and the womens 60 will be special.

I just hope some of our guys start to step it up before the summer. The World Championships are not that far away. I want to see some new personal bests from the guys and girls we root for. I also want to see some young up and coming sprinters make their presence known that they have arrived! Just had to vent a little. Time to step it up!Edited by: white lightning

trackster

Mentor
I hear you. We are one pulled muscle away from having zero sprinters of note, if that muscle happens to be in one of LeMaitre's legs. He's it. The older guys are mediocre at best and wouldn't even be able to make it to the NCAA semi-finals if they were American. They can't finish within ten meters of an elite international. Of the younger sprinters, the most noteworthy are 15-yr-old girls. The picture is almost unbearably dreary.

On the other hand, there is light at the end of the middle distance picture. Sure, the Kenyans and Ethiopians seem invincible, but I'm not so sure. I genuinely believe we're seeing improvement--virtually all of it coming from the US. Furthermore, we've got a number of genuine medal threats in the long sprints, not the least being the incomparable Jeremy Wariner. Perhaps LeMaitre will eventually inspire a new generation of short sprinters.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The German Indoor National Championships are going on today and tommorow. Verena Sailer just won the title in the womens 60 in a time of 7.28 seconds. I love watching her run. Another young lady we should add to the watch list from Germany in Leena Gunther. She took 2nd in a new personal best of 7.34 in the 60 meters. I have high hopes for this girl to follow in Verenas footsteps.

In the mens 60 finals, Christian Blum won in a very nice time of 6.63 seconds! Martin Keller took 2nd running 6.65 over the same distance. They are both qualified and will go to Paris. I'm very excited about Blum and his time. He looked great today in all the rounds. Christian Blum still has a little ways to go but he is lookinf the best he has in several years. I have always thought that this guy is one of the smoothest sprinters you will ever watch. He doesn't look like he is trying yet when he is on his A Game, he runs fast times. He like Pickering needs to break his p.b. outdoors to get his confidence back. I'm going to keep a close eye on him this summer.

white lightning

Hall of Famer

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Marek Niit of Estonia just set a new national record indoors in the 200 meters. He ran a 20.72 in Arkansas yesterday! This is quite a step up for him. I hope he helps his confidence to run ever faster.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The former double European champion Francis Obikweluran in the Portuguese Indoor Championshipsand lost.In 6.70 seconds, hewas beaten by Arnaldo Abrantes (6.65 sec) This is a step in the right direction fro Abrantes. This kid is still very young and this win will help his confidence heading into the world indoor champs next weekend. Way to go Arnaldo! Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I forgot to add that in the 200 finals in Germany, A.Kosenkow came in 2nd in a time of 20.65! That is a fantastic time. Maybe he still has a little gas left in the tank despite being in his 30's. Robert Herring is slowly working his way back. Robert ran 21.00 flat. He is only 20 years of age and he has a 20.41 p.b. outdoors from 2009. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and have a huge year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Shane Crawford of Purdue finished 2nd in the 60 meters finals of the Big 12 Indoor Champs. He ran a time of 6.71 and he only lost by 1/100th of a second. This is his senior year so hopefully he can make some noise outdoors.