2010 World Junior Championships

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The 2010 World Junior Championships takes place in Canada and it starts tommorow. I'm not sure what kinds of times we are going to see as Canada isn't the ideal place for fast times. The weather up there even in the summer is not really that warm. We shall see. The 100 meters start on Tuesday with the semi finals and finals on Wednesday. Here is a link to the website with the results.

http://www.iaaf.org/wjc10/results/eventCode=4146/index.htmlEdited by: white lightning

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
http://www.iaaf.org/WJC10/news/kind=100/newsid=57452.html

<DIV =mid750>
<H3 =newsTitle>Meredith hungry for gold after losing out in Bressanone a year ago</H3>
<H3 =newsTitle> </H3>
<DIV class=imgNewsTop>

Jack Meredith of Great Britain at the IAAF Press Conference for the IAAF World Junior Championships in Moncton, Canada

<DIV class=imgNewsTop>
<DIV class=imgNewsTop>
<DIV class=imgNewsTop>he's the man to beat in the 110-hurdles.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
only one junior in the world has posted a faster 200-meters than Great Britain's Kieran Showler-Davis' 20.75.

he's also ran a 10.52 100-meters, which is good enough to be the 21st-fastest junior in the world in the 100. i don't think he's running the 100 in the Junior Worlds, though ...

aboutphoto.png

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the 110-hurdles should be fun to watch, asthere are several White athletes amongst the world's elite.

the Top-10 times going into the World Juniors

#1 -Jack Meredith (Great Britain) 13.32
#3 - Vladimir Vukicevic (Norway) 13.42
#5 - Sam Baines (Australia) 13.53
#6 - Gregor Traber (Germany) 13.56
#9 - Julian Marquardt (Germany) 13.65
#10 - Johnathan Cabral (USA) 13.70

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in the high jump,only 12 athletes have jumpedover 2.20 meters, with2.31 meters the top mark (held bysome dude out of Qatar) ... 7 of them are White, and they're the youngest competitors among the elite jumpers, as well.

#4 - Adonios Mastoras (Greece) 2.24
#7 - (t) Branden Wilhelm (Canada) 2.22 ... he's also a talented decathlete
#7 - (t) Jaroslaw Rutkowski (Poland) 2.22
#9 - (t) Janick Klausen (Denmark) 2.21
#9 - (t) Nikita Anishchenkov (Russia) 2.21
#9 - (t) Daniil Tsyplakov (Russia) 2.21
#9 - (t) Erik Sundlof (Sweden) 2.21

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
in the triple jump, Russia's Aleksey Fedorov is nearly a half-meter longer than his next-closest competitor.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
from the look of it, all the remaining field events should be dominated by White athletes except the long jump.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I guess that link will only work up in Canada. So for TJR and The Master, your all set. The rest of us are out of luck unless I can find another link.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
only one junior in the world has posted a faster 200-meters than Great Britain's Kieran Showler-Davis' 20.75.
<div> </div>
<div>he's also ran a 10.52 100-meters, which is good enough to be the 21st-fastest junior in the world in the 100. i don't think he's running the 100 in the Junior Worlds, though ... </div>
<div> </div>
<div>
aboutphoto.png
</div>

Actually there's 4 juniors who are faster than him this year at the WJC.
But let's hope he's first at the finish line. :)

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
jacknyc said:
Actually there's 4 juniors who are faster than him this year at the WJC.
But let's hope he's first at the finish line. :)

actually, according to this list on the World Junior Championships official IAAF site, only one junior has run a faster 200 this year than Showler-Davis' 20.75. that is Japan's Shota Iizuka, with a 20.58. there is only oneadditional junior who is entered who has ever run a faster 200, Thailand's Suppachai Chimdee (20.68), who is the oldest competitor in the deuce. but he didn't run that this season.

if that supposedly-official list is incorrect, then of course my post is incorrect.
smiley1.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I got this from the World Junior Championships Preview on Espn Rise:

2010 IAAF World Top 3,
1. Shota Iizuka, JPN, 20.58
2. Roberto Kyers, CUB, 20.65
3. Charles Silmon, USA, 20.65

and this from the IAAF:
20.58-0.6Shota Iizuka JPN
20.650.2Roberto Skyers CUB
20.680.2Charles Silmon USA
20.741.0Shangbin Lu CHN
20.750.7Kieran Showler-Davis GBR

But maybe not all these guys are running.

Anyway, we know who we're rooting for.....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I don't want to knock the Asian Sprinters but most of the time they only run fast on their tracks. Whether it's juniors or seniors. Maybe this year will be different. I'm hoping that Kieran Showler Davis can grab one of the top 3 medal spots at the least. He has a bright future regardless. The guy just has the right type body for sprinting in my opinion.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Just a little more news on Kieran Showler Davis. Theguy has run since he was a little kid so athletics comes natural to him. He can do anything from the 100/200/ hurdles and even the long jump. Then the guys plays football too. He is a serious athlete. He has a twitter, his own web page(just google his name), and a facebook page. I checked out his facebook page and it has unbelievable pages with him jumping. I would say his vertical has to be around 45 inches.

The guy is an athlete. For his age, his progression is going very nicely. He has already got to where Kilty is at in a faster time over 200 meters. Watch out for this kid!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hey white lightning,

any luck on finding a better link to watch the action?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Nothing yet my friend. It's very frustrating. This is a huge meet. The World Junior Champs and it's 2010 yet no coverage except for Canada. What a joke!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the IAAF site is doing a truly piss poor job of updating ... virtually no times from today have been listed as of yet.

trackster

Mentor
The site is worthless, but I do believe I saw earlier in the day that Wahtrin won his heat in 10.31

white is right

Hall of Famer
CBC.ca has the live coverage of the events without commentary. If you are American you will need to know how to use a proxy server.( Don't ask me how to do that because I don't know how....
smiley2.gif
) Yes the 100 first round is over and from the looks of it the favorite Dexter Lee advanced. He is the IAAF interview on the main website. Edited by: white is right

freedom1

Mentor
WJC HOMENEWSTIMETABLE/RESULTSGALLERYPARTNERSHISTORYIAAF HOMERSSLatest NewsEvents ReportsRSSTuesday, 20 July 2010 Men's 100m Round 1 - Flash Interviews

Aaron Brown (CAN) 2nd in HEAT 1 - 10.37

I felt it went pretty good. I didn't get the best of starts. I just held myself to the end.

Hopefully tomorrow I can go a lot faster.

My start is always my weakness, but I feel I can get off better than I did - better reaction time, better drive phase. If I can do that I know I can go a lot faster tomorrow.

Dexter Lee (JAM) 1st in HEAT 2 - 10.38

Very well. Good. I'm coming out here to do my best and qualify for the finals.
[My strategy is] just to qualify, just to get a good start in the first 40 metres.

Deji Tobais (GBR) 1st in HEAT 3 - 10.49

It went all right. My start was a bit off. But today was just about qualifying (in the) first two. I didn't want to be part of the eight fastest losers.

I felt comfortable. After the first 30 metres I can always tell where I am and how I'm going to do in the race. The first 30 was good for me and I knew where I was going to be.

(I need to work on) my drive phase, definitely. Probably my reaction time. That's what I'm going to try to do for the semi-finals, and hopefully it will be a quicker time.

Geno Jones (BAH) 3rd in HEAT 3 â€" 10.66

I feel good. I didn't get the start I wanted but thank god no injuries happened. I didn't react as quick as I wanted to coming out of the block, but I hope I get back for the next round to change that.

More mental stuff, listening for that gun quicker, stuff like that [will help me prepare next time].

Probably finishing the race, finishing strong [was the biggest challenge].
I love Moncton so far!

Warren Fraser (BAH ) 1st in HEAT 4 â€" 10.46 (PB)

I haven't been competing well . That (my time) 10.46 is ok but I think I can do a lot better out of the blocks. Didn't feel like I came out executing by pushing as I was taught . It was a lot better than I have been all season. I'm taking it one race at a time.

Charles SILMON (USA) 1st in HEAT 5 â€" 10.33

I'm feeling great. Just cruised it, just cruised the last 40. I'm feeling real great. I'm feeling like I can win this thing,

[My strategy is] just to get out. I have a strong finish, so if I get out with the group, it's all about the end.

My goal time is 10.1, 10.0. That's my goal.

Michael Granger (USA) - 1st in HEAT 6 - 10.47

It didn't go as well as I'd have liked it to, but it went good. I just wanted to get out, have a good drive and coast the rest of the way, and keep in first.

I really wasn't too worried about the time, but I think I'll run a little bit faster.

I didn't drive as long as I usually do, but the whole race went pretty good. There's just some stuff I need to improve, like my top end. I should have worked on it a little bit, but I'm OK with it.

For the semi-finals, I just want to drive out, go a little bit longer and just make it to the next round - the finals.

Wade JOOSTE (RSA) 2nd in HEAT 6 â€" 10.60

I'm feeling really good. It was pretty tight, so it wasn't what I wanted it to be, but it was good.

I had some challenges. My start wasn't too good, but I will work on that now before tomorrow. I'm just going to give it my all.

Moncton is very fun, I'm having a great time.

Gideon Trotter (RSA) â€" 1st in HEAT 7 - 10.52

I didn't have a good start but my end...I'm happy with that.(To get ready for the final) I'm going to go work on my start and get some rest.

Sabian Cox (TRI) 2nd in Heat 7 â€" 10.67

It felt okay. Next round I'm going to see if I can do better.

Jimmy VICAUT (FRA) 1st in Heat 8 â€" 10.53

I had a pretty quick start, pushed from 20 metres to 40 metres and eased up to finish. I'm disappointed, not so much with the time, but the race.

Jason ROGERS (SKN) 2nd in Heat 8 â€" 10.54

The race was a bit tight, but it was good. [My strategy is to] get out the blocks, just try a little harder.

A lot of athletes here, a lot of competition. There are some real fast times, but it's good. My goal time is to get under 10.2.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This has to be the slowest update of results in history and this is a Junior World Champs. Unbelievable. How can it take so long? What a joke.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
awesome! well done, white lightning.
smiley32.gif
great job, man.
smiley20.gif

now then, what are we cheering?
smiley36.gif