2010 Texas Tech Red Raiders

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are the white raiders expected to start for Texas Tech this year. They had 7 white starters in 2006, 9 in 2007, 8 in 2008, and 10 last year. It looks like there will be 7 white starters this year. Expect this number to be around 5 in the coming years with Tuberville in Lubbock now.

Offense
QB- Taylor Potts or Steven Sheffield
LT- Terry McDaniel - in a fight for the position.
LG- Lonnie Edwards
C-Justin Keown

Defense
NT- Colby Whitlock
LB- Bront Bird
FS- Cody DavisEdited by: Jack Lambert

whiteCB

Master
Looks like they beefed up Craig James's son Adam for his appropriate caste position of TE. They guy came in as a WR...I have a feeling this is a sign of things to come with Tuberville in town.
smiley7.gif

TwentyTwo

Master
You could probably add JUCO stud DE- Scott Smith 6'-7" 278...he's already listed as a starter in some publications..and he just arrived on campus in May! He chose Texas Tech over Arkansas & UCLA....

I posted him on the Top D-Lineman thread as "One to Watch"

snow

Mentor
I don't think i saw Torres out there today as well as James.

Not only do I expect the number of white starters to go down to 5, that is probably how many wins they will get every year as well. He won't have the success Leach had (as a head coach Leach never had a losing season and most of his years at Tech were 8 and 9 win seasons with one 11 win season). Tuberville was able to squeak out the win against SMU but I don't see many more this year.
Edited by: snow

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Well, I updated the post to reflect that. Leach was actually a fair coach. Tubberville already demoted Torres, and doesn't use James.

Quiet Speed

Mentor
DE Scott Smith has had a heck of a first half against Texas. Texas had all the momentum leading 14-0 when Smith stop a Texas drive by batting a ball in the air and hauling it in for the interception. Later he batted another ball which the defensive back picked off and took to the house for the TD. Turned the game around. It's 14-14 at the half. Smith also has a couple of sacks and four tackles.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Well, some had suspicions about Texas Tech being in trouble. Now it looks like they are. I wonder what kind of sanctions they will actually receive?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5999907

LUBBOCK, Texas -- The NCAA is accusing Texas Tech of major rules
violations tied to nearly 1,000 impermissible text messages sent to
football, softball and golf prospects.

The NCAA released its findings Friday. It said the school discovered the violations and reported them to the NCAA.

Penalties could include two years probation, recruiting restrictions and scholarship reductions.

The
NCAA says the football violations occurred between August 2007 and
February 2009, which would have come under former coach Mike Leach. The
NCAA says the football coaching staff sent approximately 234 text
messages to 45 prospective student-athletes.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I like the last sentence of this article, where Welker and Amendola "paved the way" for Michael Crabtree to be a first round draft choice. Unfortunately they didn't "pave the way" for White WRs to be recruited fairly out of high school nor to be drafted by the NFL and not forced to claw and scrap their way for an opportunity most never receive.

Texas Tech's top 5 NFL draft picks of all time: Michael Crabtree gets nod over Zach Thomas

1. Michael Crabtree-Receiver

There's no doubt that former Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree is the most athletic player to come out of the Red Raider football program. Crabtree won the Biletnikoff Award in both of his seasons at Texas Tech. Crabtree was selected 10th overall in the 2009 draft by the San Francisco 49ers and still has a lot of upside.

2. Zach Thomas-Linebacker

Former Texas Tech linebacker Zach Thomas needs no introduction to the average football fan.

Thomas was a three-year starter for Texas Tech and was drafted in the fifth round of the 1996 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins.

Thomas rewarded the Dolphins with five Pro Bowl seasons before playing a one-year stint with the Dallas Cowboys.

3. Donny Anderson-Running back

Former Texas Technological College star running back Donny Anderson was another first rounder the Red Raiders produced back in 1965. While at what is now known as Texas Tech, Anderson was a two-time All-American.

Anderson was drafted by the Green Bay Packers seventh overall in the 1965 NFL draft and was selected before Joe Namath and Fred Biletnikoff.

Anderson played nine seasons in the NFL between the Packers and the Saint Louis Cardinals.

4. Byron Hanspard-Running back

Former Texas Tech running back Byron Hanspard won the 1996 Doak Walker Award for the nation's top running back in 1996.

After winning the Doak Walker Award, Hanspard was drafted in the second round by the Atlanta Falcons franchise and starred as a kick returning in his rookie season. He gained 1,375 all-purpose yards in 1997.

Unfortunately, Hanspard suffered a major knee injury in 1998 and never fully recovered from it. He was released by the Falcons in 2000.

5. Sammy Morris-Running back

Former Texas Tech running back Sammy Morris certainly has had a long and successful NFL career.

Morris was drafted into the NFL by the Buffalo Bills in 2000 after rushing for just 562 yards as a senior.

Through the 2010 season, Morris has nearly 3,000 career rushing yards with the Bills, Dolphins and New England Patriots.

Honorable mentions:

Some of Texas Tech's best talent was selected in free agency.

Undersized receivers Wes Welker and Danny Amendola star for the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams, respectively, after receiving no attention prior to the NFL draft. The two receivers, in part, paved the way for Crabtree to not be regarded as another "product of the system."Â￾
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-tech-red-raiders/20110301-texas-tech_s-top-5-nfl-draft-picks-of-all-time-michael-crabtree-gets-nod-over-zach-thomas.ece

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
<div>

Undersized receivers Wes Welker</font> </span>and Danny Amendola</font> </span>star for the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams</font></span>, respectively, after receiving no attention prior to the NFL draft. The two receivers, in part, paved the way for Crabtree to not be regarded as another "product of the system."Â￾
<div></div></div>

They really didn't have to pave his way because they are White and he's black. He probably would have been a high draft pick even if they had never played at Texas Tech. At least they mentioned Wes and Danny, but to me this is insulting.