2010 Southern Methodist Mustangs

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Southern Methodist has started 8, 8, 11, 10, and 10 Whites since '05. Looks like things stay the same numbers wise this year, but they do have a rare starting White RB in Sophomore Zach Line. Should be a fun team to watch when they are on offense. Other Whites who should see playing time include RB Bryce Lunday, LE Margus Hunt, WR Patrick Fleming, RE Kevin Grenier, SLB Justin Smart, BLB Cameron Rogers, and FS Braden Smith.

Offense
QB Kyle Padron
RB Zach Line
WR Cole Beasley
LG Josh LeRibeus
C Blake McJunkin
RG Kelly Turner
RT J.T. Brooks

Defense
LE Taylor Thompson
NT Aaron Davis
BLB Pete Fleps

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Colonel, will Line see the majority of carries? I notice last year he was there short yardage back and he's 235lbs so it makes me wonder. He was 210 coming out of high school as well.
Edited by: whiteathlete33

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
wa33, Zach Line is supposed to be the starter at RB, according to the SMU post-spring depth chart and some comments made by head coach June Jones last week. He's also 6-1, so 235 isn't too heavy for that height. If something changes and he doesn't start, I'll remove his name. Bryce Lunday will probably be 3rd string this year but should see a few carries as a scatback.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
This should be a fun team this year. Thanks for putting the Mustangs up Colonel.
smiley1.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the reminders about Lunday and Hunt, gentlemen! I went back and listed some other White backups who could end up starting at some point.

Riddlewire

Master
SMU has released their two deep chart for the Texas Tech game. Line is RB1. So he survived the Fall with his starting job intact. Although it must be mentioned that Jones gave Line a symbolic start last year in a game and then yanked him after the first snap. Don't know if that will happen again this season. The fans sure hate Line. They're desperate to get some "speed" in the backfield.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
I notice that Line is always portrayed in SMU-related articles as a "blocker". Although he had a great high school career as a runner and as an all-state linebacker, all of the "casteRivals" sites had him pegged at linebacker, since that's a "safe" caste position for a white guy. I'm glad that he has stuck to his desire to be a TB rather than follow the caste masters who wanted to "keep" him on defense. I don't have any information on his measurables to battle the "speed" question that DWF's always bring up, but from what I've seen in limited action from his freshman year, he looks plenty fast.

Highlander

Mentor
Zach Line (RB, Soph) is making some good runs for SMU...so far 7 rushes for 38 yards against Texas Tech.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Line is doing good, but it already seems like afflete Darryl Fields is a given to replace him at some point, according to the annoucners.

Riddlewire

Master
That would be insanity.
Line has shown not only great speed today, but incredible instincts in traffic. The only reason he's not going to end up with 150yds rushing on the day is because of the nature of the Run & Shoot.

Highlander

Mentor
Jack Lambert said:
Line is doing good, but it already seems like afflete Darryl Fields is a given to replace him at some point, according to the annoucners.
Yes, I was going to post (but had to take off for the day) that I then heard Caste Whore BSPN announcer, Bob Davies, say something to the affect that the sophomore Line "will eventually be replaced" by some upcoming affletic freshman RB (who then takes the handoff from the QB and gets stuffed by the Tech defense...then is immediately called back to the bench and replaced again by Line...Davies remaining unfazed by his prediction, of course.)

Also, when Line was making some great runs on the previous drive and eventually scored the TD, Davies and the other "Caste Clown" announcer never mentioned his name or gave him any credit at all...although they did credit the OL and QB. I remember the same thing happening last year when Stanford played USC and Gerhardt ran for about 183 yards...the Caste announcers covering another game that kept breaking to the Stanford/USC to show the latest score and related highlight only mentioned Andrew Luck...not a peep about Gerhardt...saying how great a QB Luck is (which he is), but only threw for under 200 yards that game, I believe.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, it's "uncanny" how often a nice run by a White RB occasions praise for the offensive line.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Line was a man with no name for quite a while in that game. I wish him the best throughout this season. He's a talented runner and should do quite well in C-USA.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Yep, it's "uncanny" how often a nice run by a White RB occasions praise for the offensive line. 

Usually the only time a white FB (if a team uses one) is praised for blocking too.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
A small starters update.

Big Margus Hunt starts at RE for the Mustangs, so we have another half-white team.
smiley4.gif