2010 Rutgers Scarlet Knights

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Last year Rutgers started 11 whites and seeing Joe Martinek assert himself as the go to guy was a joy to all of us here at castefootball!
smiley4.gif
The real question though is, after Martinek is gone when will we see another white skill player for Rutgers? Looking at their recent recruiting classes it doesn't seem we will. Rutgers will start 8 whites this year. Schiano loves recruiting blacks and dominicans fromNJ and NY..

Offense
QB- Tom Savage
HB- Joe Martinek
smiley32.gif

G- Caleb Ruch (6'4 290)
C- Howard Barbieri (6'5 300)
RT- Art Forst (6'8 300)
*Paul Carrezola could see some action at TE.
Defense
DE- Alex Silvestro (6'4 260)
DT- Charlie Noonan (6'2 270)
DT- Scott Vallone (6'3 270)

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I believe I did the Rutgers' preview last year. Sad to see the white starters decrease to only 8 this year. Rutgers' is still on the white friendly side for the Big East though. I'm hoping to see Martinek get AT LEAST 2/3s of the carries and hopefully bust 1,000 yards this year. He should be fun to watch.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Yeah Tough you did, there was a decrease of 3 white starters from last season to this season.. At least they're D-line is 3\4 white. They're two DT's may be considered "undersized" in football's present love affair with sumos, but I guarantee those guys are strong and can move around and are every down players!Edited by: celticdb15

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Celtic, I mentioned that I would be doing Rutgers since ToughJ stated he wouldn't be able to get them done. No hard feelings though. Keep up the good work!

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
Yeah Tough you did, there was a decrease of 3 white starters from last season to this season.. At least they're D-line is 3\4 white. They're two DT's may be considered "undersized" in football's present love affair with sumos, but I guarantee those guys are strong and can move around and are every down players!
Yet I can almost guarantee that the D-line will get most of the blame for the linebackers and safeties poor play. After all, the "superior affletes" are too fast and skeeeeled to be out of position, it must be those unathletic white guys up front!

white is right

Hall of Famer
Sad news about a Rutgers player. Hopefully he can get some movement in his upper body. But this looks permanent unlike a Dennis Byrd type situation....
smiley5.gif
Rutgers' Eric LeGrand paralyzed

* Email
* Print
* Comments288

By Kieran Darcy
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive
Update on Rutgers Eric LeGrand
Rutgers coach updates health of DE Eric LeGrandTags: Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Learn More » Report a bug » Feedback »
Update on Rutgers Eric LeGrand

NEW YORK -- Rutgers junior defensive tackle Eric LeGrand suffered a spinal-cord injury in the Scarlet Knights' 23-20 overtime win over Army on Saturday and is paralyzed below the neck, the school announced Sunday.

Emergency surgery to stabilize LeGrand's spine was performed Saturday night at Hackensack University Medical Center. LeGrand is in the intensive care unit there, and will remain there for at least the near future.

"Eric, his family and the Rutgers football family believe he will recover," said Rutgers coach Greg Schiano. "We ask our fans and the entire Rutgers community to believe and pray for Eric as he begins the recovery process."

[+] EnlargeEric LeGrand
Rich Kane/Icon SMIRutgers junior defensive tackle Eric LeGrand suffered a spinal-cord injury in the Scarlet Knights' 23-20 overtime win over Army on Saturday and is paralyzed below the neck.

The injury occurred with just over five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter of Saturday's game, just after Rutgers had scored a touchdown to tie the game at 17. LeGrand was attempting to make a tackle on the ensuing kickoff, and was involved in a violent collision with Army's Malcolm Brown. LeGrand lay motionless on the field for several minutes before being carted off.

Schiano said he spent the night at the hospital, along with LeGrand's family, several teammates and other friends. "Eric's spirits were as good as you can expect," Schiano said. "He's a fighter."

LeGrand, from Avenel, N.J., is a backup defensive tackle and special-teams player, but is one of the leaders on the squad. Schiano mentioned on a conference call with reporters Sunday afternoon how LeGrand was a member of the team's leadership council the past two seasons -- second only to the team captains in terms of leadership responsibilities.

"Eric is a big, strong, nice guy, who when he hits the field, always comes to the facility with great energy," Schiano said. "A guy who really loves to play the game. I think a lot of people like [the game] a lot. This kid loves it. He's a great teammate."

No further information was available regarding the prognosis for LeGrand's recovery.

"No one knows," Schiano said. "We are gonna believe that Eric LeGrand is gonna walk onto the field again with us. That's what we believe."

"We want to say thank you to everyone for all of your prayers, kind words, and well wishes," the LeGrand family said in a statement. "We appreciate every single thought. Eric is in good spirits and we are praying for a full recovery."

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Damn I hate to see an injury this bad happen to anyone. Coaches need to preach good tackling techniques to kids early on. My prayers are with LeGrand.

white is right

Hall of Famer
When I played football the first thing you are taught is to slide your head to the side when you tackle. From the looks of it he wasn't prepared for the hit from the player with the ball and his own teammate might have caused the injury. Similar to when Mersereau and Byrd collided in the early 90's. Edited by: white is right

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I used to follow Rutgers when I lived in Jersey and still do follow them a bit. I said a prayer for LeGrand after I heard about this. I think the guy for the Lions who got paralyzed in the game Barry Sanders broke 2,000 yards (Brown) can walk again with an awkward gait. He usually uses a cain if he's going a decent length of distance I believe when I read an article on him a few years back. I think with how great shape these guys are in and the implementation of steroids quickly after an injury like this- that he will have a chance to get motion back again. He'll never play football again obviously, but hopefully Rutgers gave him some type of insurance for football injury so he has financial support- and his condition improves enough to walk like the guy for the Lions did.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I know in the past when guys have been paralyzed the university insurance plan will cover the medical costs and rehab. I also know that in the past boosters and alumni have financially helped the players that could never move at all or barely use a wheel chair ie Chuckie Mullins. I think boosters/alumni built him a house near the campus that was wheel chair accessible. I hope I hear stories of some tingling in his lower extremities soon.......
smiley5.gif

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I know it's late, but my prayers are with LeGrand and his family as he recovers from this horrible incident.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This kid had some very impressive numbers his senior year. Here is an article which tells what he's up against, a move to fullback.

<h1>Don Bosco Prep running back Paul Canevari commits to Rutgers</h1>

<h5>Published: Monday, January 31, 2011, 10:09 AM Updated: Monday, January 31, 2011, 5:37 PM</h5>
<div ="author_info">

<a href="http://connect.nj.com/user/tluicci/index.html" target="_blank">

user_default.png

</a>
By

<a href="http://connect.nj.com/user/tluicci/index.html" target="_blank">

Tom Luicci/The Star-Ledger
</a>

<a ="follow">Follow</a>
</span>

</div>

<div id="EntryStats" ="_gray_gray_ol">

<div ="_">
<div id="m_fb_like">

</div>
<div id="m_s">
<div ="pad">

</div>
<div ="pad">
Share</span></span></span>25</span></span></span>
</div>
<div id="m_comment">

< ="btn" value="" ="">
</span>
< ="" ="bubble">28
</span>

</div>
</div>
<div id="m_s">
<div id="m_s_popup" ="round_ jqmID3">

<div ="round_tl center">
roundbox_arrow_up.gif
</div>
<div ="round_">
<div ="top">Share</span>
close

</div>
Google Buzz
Digg
Stumble Upon
Fark

</div>

</div>
<a ="share" title="Share story">Share</a>
<a ="email" title="Email story">Email</a>

Print

</div>

</div>

</div>

<div id="asset-9236314" ="entry_widget_large entry_widget_right">
9236314-large.jpg
William Perlman/The Star-Ledger</span>Paul Canevari, right, a running back from Don Bosco Prep, has committed to play football at Rutgers next season.</span></span></span></span></span>
</div>

Rutgers continued to strengthen its new ties with powerhouse Don
Bosco Prep when running back Paul Canevari gave coach Greg Schiano a
verbal commitment after visiting the school Sunday night, according to
multiple recruiting websites.

Canevari, a 5-11, 220-pounder, rushed for 1,755 yards and 35 TDs as a senior as Don Bosco won its fifth straight state title. He will join Don Bosco quarterback Gary Nova in a recruiting class that will become official on signing day on Wednesday.

"He's coming in as a running back but you can see him moving to
fullback if his body develops," said Brian Dohn of ScarletReport.com.

Canevari was lightly recruited because of his absence of
game-breaking speed. He also had an offer from Akron and declined an
official visit to North Carolina, though the school had not yet offered
him a scholarship.

"He's a straight-ahead runner, a hard-nosed who may not have all of
the physical ingredients â€" but he's a football player," Dohn said. "He's
very tough-minded, very driven."

Canevari's commitment brings Rutgers' recruiting class to 23, with
Wednesday being the first day of the national letter of intent signing
period.

The Rutgers backfield was depleted by injuries and dogged by lack of
production in 2010, rushing for just 1,211 yards. Canevari â€" as a
fullback or tailback â€" will provide much-needed reinforcement, along
with St. Peter's Prep product Savon Huggins.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Somehow i feel Savon Huggins will be given the first look at RB... Just a hunch!

whiteCB

Master
I know guys want to stay in state and be close to home so their family/friends can watch them play more but why if you're a white RB go to Rutgers. This kid should be old enough to recall the treatment Brian Leonard received by the same coaching staff still there today. Paul had a full ride offer from Akron. Now I know we do not know if Akron's coaching staff would be hostile towards a white RB but WE DO KNOW that Rutgers' is hostile. I guess Paul would rather be a offensive backfield guard (OBG) in state than a potential starting out of state RB. These kids have no clue about the caste system and how they're just looked down upon and given unfair treatment.