2010 Michigan Wolverines

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The 2010 Michigan Wolverines will give head coach Rich Rodriguez one more try to get the program back on track. In Rich Rods two seasons he has managed to tarnish much of the luster that had accumulated on the program since the Bo Schembeckler years starting in 1969.

Rodriguez has tried to instill his spread offense at Michigan even though the personnel he had was better suited for the pro style offense that Michigan ran so well for many years. Despite the fact that the program had generated NFL QB's like Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Chad Henne and Tom Brady, the direction is now to go with "spread" offenses.

Ideally Rodriguez would like to have an 'aflete' at the postion even though the best players to run it have been the Drew Brees type of QB. To that end he has accumulated a collection of good run-no throw QB's with the exception of Tate Forcier, the ideal candidate to run the offense.

In a sane world Sophomore Tate Forcier would be firmly ensconsed as the starting QB but in the bizzaro world of college football he is in intense competition with aflete Denard Robinson. Robinson is a shifty runner but a disaster as a thrower. Thus Forcier will have to battle it out and share playing time until Robinson is forced to pass and implodes. Forcier has shown glimpses of becoming a fanstastic clutch player with some late game heroics but unfortunately he lacks the room brightening smile like Robinson so he will have to work to be the starter.

The rest of the Michigan offense is more racially segregated by position then the bus Rosa Parks took. The offensive line is virtually all-white as are most of the back-ups and there are no other white players that handle the ball except at quarterback.

Technically John McColgan a Jr, and 5th year senior Mark Moundros are the fullbacks, but they will see as much time with the football as you or I. There is probably no play in the U of M playbook which calls for them to get the ball. Unless they pick up a fumble or a deflected pass their season totals will read NSA.

Michigan's offensive line will feature veterans LG Stephen Schilling a senior, and Jr. David Molk at center, along with up-and-coming younger players like Michael Schofield a red-shirt freshman slated to be a back-up at RT behind Sr. Perry Dorrenstein. Taylor Lewan may possibly be the starter at LT also a red-shirt freshman. Jr. Mark Huyge will see a lot of playing time and will enter the line-up if someone is injured, while Sr. John Ferrara is another back-up.

On the dark side of the ball there is thin gruel but better then in past years. DE Ryan van Bergen, a Jr. will start backed up by red-shirt freshman Anthony Lalota. Craig Roh, a sophomore will start at the OLB position backed up by Jr. Kevin Leach. Both Roh and Leach are "over-achievers" who were never supposed to play, just fill roster spots; however Coach Rich Rodriguez decided at some point he wanted to have defensive players that could actually tackle and turned to the only ones on the roster that could do that.

Tackling ability also describes Sophomore Jordan Kovacs who will be the starter at strong safety. He played well last year but drew the ire of Michigan fans for having blond hair and blue eyes and playing in the defensive backfield. This is something they had never seen before and was to them a certain omen of bad things. Kovacs does give Wolverine fans the luxury of having someone easy to pick out on the defensive side of the ball and to blame for the many break downs of the defensive secondary.

Junior Jared Van Slyke may be in the mix as a back-up to Jordan Kovacs at Strong Safety, probably to allow the fans to have a white guy in the defensive back field to blame for big plays if Kovacs happens to get injured. Van Slyke is the son of Andy Van Slyke the former Pittsburgh Pirates star and now the 1st base coach for the Detroit Tigers.

Starters 9 out of 22 (counting QB Tate Forcier and the non-existant FB) Two players, Kevin Leach and Mark Huyge will also see the field often which might create the unheard possibility of half of the Wolverine 22 being white. The ghost of Tom Harmon will rise from the grave when this happens.

They still won't be any fun to watch as 'No-whites need apply' will be the policy for all ball carriers.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I'm no Rich Rod worshipper, but, to me, it looks like he has brought in more White defensive players than the previous, long-term, head coach.

In the last decade, teams like Iowa, Nebraska, Ohio State have produced several (White) linebackers and some D-linemen, that have gone onto play in the NFL, while, if I'm correct, Michigan has sent nothing but black defensive affletes to the NFL.

Point being: Michigan was already dark, and has Rich Rod made them darker? I doubt it. Will Rich Rod make them darker if he coaches for a few more seasons? I say, probably not. The program may actually end up "Whiter"...

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Last year Michigan had 8 white starters and 9 in 2008 so it's basically stayed the same. Michigan seems to like their offensive lineman, quarterback, and tight ends white but keeps the rest mostly black. McGuffie was the rare white running back to play for them a few years ago.

whiteCB

Master
Deadlift said:
I'm no Rich Rod worshipper, but, to me, it looks like he has brought in more White defensive players than the previous, long-term, head coach.

Yeah I mean I don't ever remember Lloyd Carr having a Jordan Kovacs type DB or having just 4 white starting on defense alone. Rich Rod does seem to be doing better than Coach Carr when it comes to the defensive side of the football.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
Deadlift said:

Yeah I mean I don't ever remember Lloyd Carr having a Jordan Kovacs type DB or having just 4 white starting on defense alone. Rich Rod does seem to be doing better than Coach Carr when it comes to the defensive side of the football.

True, but Carr also recruited McGuffie. RichRod drove him away. I think Kovacs is playing out of necessity as the usual suspects have flopped or in a couple of cases been arrested/transferred/thrown off the team. Also from the looks of the recent recruits the team will get much darker. Remember a lot of these guys were recruited under Lloyd Carr.

Carr usually had 1 white d-lineman, and 1 white linebacker and all white tight ends, o-line, and QB. Rodriguez goes 1 white d-lineman, and 1 white linebacker and NO white tight ends, white o-line, and probably in the future all black QB. Not an improvement in my book.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I think Kovacs started last year because two or three guys went down in front of him. Kovacs played well enough to keep his spot, even after the affletes came back.

Carr was better anyway. At least he kept his TEs and QBs white.

Howard

Guru
Gonna have to root for Ohio State because they have more white starters.Sorry Wolverine fans. Forcier is a So Cal boy and should have stayed out west. Be a perfect fit at Oregon.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Looks like DUHnard Robinson got the start for Michigan today...

Totally inaccurate evaluation of Roh. He was considered one of the top pass rushers in the nation coming out of high school, his mug shot was all over Rivals.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
celticdb15 said:
Looks like DUHnard Robinson got the start for Michigan today...

And he destroyed UCONN, although, to be fair, they only have 1 White defensive starter (Lutrus).

Nonetheless, I wonder if CFers have "overrated" Forcier?? Does he really have "pro" potential?

Edited by: Deadlift

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Deadlift I don't think either Forcier or Robinson have pro potential at least at the Quarterback position.

Riddlewire

Master
No quarterback who succeeds in the RichRod offense has any pro potential. Except maybe as a receiver or kick returner.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The big ten seems to be turning into the conference of the black QB...Purdue (marve is mixed), Illinois, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan. The last three I mentioned are all storied college football teams in the history of the sport. It is somewhat deflating to see this trend.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Very depressing. The Big 10 is supposed to be one of the "whiter" conferences. That's ending. And if the QB is black you know they aren't going to recruit white receivers, or god forbid, white running backs.

I think the reason for that is that the Big 10 has been getting beat by other conferences and all we hear as the reason for it is because the other teams are faster. Faster, is code for blacker. However the only positions that the Big 10 is not as black as the SEC is: the o-line, QB, and LB. So I guess those positions have to be converted.

Running QB's have an advantage in college. They get the ball in open space and the defense has to respect that they might pass, plus the average college defensive player is not going to be fast enough to make up the ground (unlike in the pro game). So that kind of QB, which is almost always black, has success.

The best college teams though usually have a high powered passing game so the Big 10 is still going to get beat in interconference play. I guess then they'll have to get even "faster".

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Iowa did beat GT last year in the Orange Bowl. OSU beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl.

In other caste matchups: BYU beat Oregon State in their bowl game. And if it weren't for the damn kicker- NW would have beaten a much blacker Auburn. Stanford could have won the Rose Bowl, if not for Harbaugh's two risky/foolish "cowboy" decisions costing them two games- and than Andrew Luck's injury. From looking at last year's bowl games, I think it showed that in the big caste match-ups- the whiter team usually won, if they had all their starters healthy against a healthy afroletic team. I'd have to get a full tally to know for sure, but from the info I have "coaches take note...More Whites= More Victories!"

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
And two years ago, Iowa CRUSHED South Carolina in their Bowl Game. Last year, Wisconsin defeated Miami in a Bowl.

Most ACC/SEC teams are THOROUGHLY OVERRATED.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here's some bad news for Slow Rod.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5546863

Michigan's already-thin secondary has lost another player, as black sophomore safety Vladimir Emilien has decided to transfer.<div ="mod-container mod-no-footer mod-inline - right mod-no-er-footer">
<div ="mod-">
<h4>Big Ten blog</h4></div>
</div>

Wolverines coach Rich Rodriguez confirmed Emilien's departure Wednesday, saying, "He's a good young man. We wish him well."

Emilien
appeared in five games last season, mostly on special teams, and played
in Saturday's season-opening win against Connecticut in a reserve role.

The
6-foot-1, 204-pound Emilien is the second defensive back to transfer
from Michigan in a month, as black cornerback Justin Turner left shortly after
preseason camp began.

Michigan lost black cornerback Troy Woolfolk, a
projected starter, to a serious ankle injury midway through camp.
Heralded black cornerback/safety recruit Demar Dorsey was denied admission
this summer, and All-Big Ten cornerback Donovan Warren (also black, of course) left early for
the NFL draft but was not selected in April.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Emilien was actually listed BELOW Jared Van Slyke on the depth chart. I guess if you're black and you play for a black supremicist school and you are listed below a white guy on the depth chart it is indeed a reason to transfer.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
I looked at the new depth chart for this week, and Mark Moundros looks like he'll start at MLB this week against the Irish.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Let the negro worship begin!! After two games in wich he has been basically unstoppable the local media and soon the national media will be all aglow about the play of the Wolverines dreadlocked QB Denard Robinson.

In all fairness he has played very well and even his passing has been on target and well chosen. I may have been wrong about this guy. We'll see how he fares against tougher competition but with two more easy games until Big 10 play the bandwagon for him is only going to get bigger.

I note that one of the UM running backs has dreadlocks as does the back-up QB (Forcier is now 3rd string), I look forward to the day when all of the UM backfield is dreadlocked, maybe eventually the whole team.
smiley6.gif

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Any ideas on where Forcier will transfer??

icsept

Master
Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Brian Griese, Tom Brady, Drew Henson, Chad Henne...Denard Robinson.

If Rich Rod thinks he can save his job by using a 160 pound dreadlocked kid to run a flag football offense, he's crazy. I'll admit, the kid played with great heart and single-handedly beat Notre Dame. However, there is no way he can physically sustain that level of play throughout an entire season. He took a ton of punishment from Notre Dame and will not survive the likes of Wisconsin, Iowa or Ohio State.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
icsept said:
Jim Harbaugh, Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Brian Griese, Tom Brady, Drew Henson, Chad Henne...Denard Robinson.

If Rich Rod thinks he can save his job by using a 160 pound dreadlocked kid to run a flag football offense, he's crazy. I'll admit, the kid played with great heart and single-handedly beat Notre Dame. However, there is no way he can physically sustain that level of play throughout an entire season. He took a ton of punishment from Notre Dame and will not survive the likes of Wisconsin, Iowa or Ohio State.

I agree. And to their credit some of the media in the Detroit area has expressed the same doubts. Also consider that Forcier nearly did the same thing last year, a late win over Notre Dame and a 4-0 start. But he took a lot of punishment and was eventually less effective because of it.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Your spot on Jaxvid, Forcier was all the rage last year until the collapse.