2010 Euro Champion 100 meters Verena Sailer

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I wanted to make a thread for the lovely Verena Sailer from Germany. She today won the gold medal for the 100 meters in the finals of the 2010 European Championships. She is now the European Champion and the fastest woman in all of Europe. She also set a new personal best of 11.10 into a headwind. What a performance! Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The Fastest Woman in all of Europe Verena Sailer.
myriam-soumare-bronze-verena-sailer-or-et-veronique-mang-arg.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
<I style="COLOR: #454d3e; FONT-SIZE: 0.9em">29/07/2010 | Interview | Christian Ermert[/I]

<H2 ="t4__element_full__h2">" Verena Sailer - "Only the victory has counted" </H2><B ="News_Details">For the first time in 20 years, a German athlete has again won a sprint gold medal.[/B] <B ="News_Details">Verena Sailer of the MTG Mannheim rescued on Thursday evening the European Championships in Barcelona with 11.10 seconds the 100-meter victory with a hundredth off the Frenchwoman Veronique Mang at the target.[/B]<B ="News_Details">In the interview reveals the 24-year-old that you months just to this triumph has been designed already.[/B]

<DIV style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; MARGIN-TOP: 4px; PADDING-LEFT: 0pt; WIDTH: 120px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 0pt">
<DIV id=caption28680_1280438418387>For the first time in 20 years, a sprint champion wrapped in black-red-gold (Photo: Kiefner)

Verena Sailer, you will be European champion over 100 meters. Is this reached you yet?

Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> Not quite yet, but slowly come tears of joy. This is madness.Indescribable.

Have you guessed the Finals before, that this is possible?With 11.06 seconds in the semis They had even hinted at ... <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic"><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">Verena Sailer:
The time is not, the tail wind was too strong. But I knew I could win the final if I had a good start.I have had second thoughts on my strengths.

Can you each stage of the race at all remember? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">
Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> No, I simply turned off the bulb and ran.

In the end it was a triumph of will, right? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">
Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> Yes, I had to counter holding incredible because the French is very, very strong run.I wanted this win so unconditionally and have worked together with my team all year so hard for it.My physiotherapist Ella Bauer stood even at night, ready to treat me, and for that you just want to thank my coach as Valerij Bauer.With all the hard work I always had this image in mind, go here to be the first across the finish line.

Was the stumbling at the start of the semi final a moment of shock for you? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">
Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> Absolutely.It was strange, I stood at the start and was not as excited as usual Maybe that was a small sign, then at least I was fully there.

It has lasted 20 years until 1990 in Crab Split a German sprinter won the 100 meters gold has to Katrin.What it means for you to have done it? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic"><BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> I knew that would open to me the opportunity to win only at European Championships, and have they seized with both hands.

Did you getting up in the morning know that the day will you? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">
Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> I certainly had all the time the picture in mind to win and go on a victory lap.At the same time I was always scared before, and convince myself that the end to be disappointed if it does not work.Therefore I have said publicly before the race, only that I want to watch the finals and then times.But in reality I wanted to win always, and that was the only thing that counted for me today.

Will you celebrate now, have managed this? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">
Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> Hardly, we want to achieve with the season so much and that I must concentrate now.

Last year you were the best European at the World Championships.How great was the pressure that built up this way? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">
Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> I restrained myself on purpose with my predictions, so that the pressure from outside is not so great.

How important are your gold medal and gold and silver from the spear throwers Linda Stahl and Christina Obergföll for the entire German team in first two days quite difficult in the European Championships started was the right? <BR style="FONT-STYLE: italic">
Verena Sailer:<BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold"> It was good to hear the cheers of the audience in the throws of Linda Steel, even though I was at this moment very much concentrated on myself.We have made a very good job, and I think now it works. Edited by: white lightning

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
she is awesome!
smiley20.gif

foobar75

Master
Fantastic result! And I noticed that all the women were quite friendly with each other afterwards, several of the black women coming over and congratulating Sailer.

From what I've seen, this is the total opposite behavior that I see from the Jamaican and American blacks (women). They are actually quite smug and unfriendly, except with their own fellow countrywomen.

Maybe they are a bit more colorblind over in Europe, not sure. It could be because the whites are very well represented there, as opposed to here in America where they have become extinct. I've seen the same thing with our man CLM. His black French teammates and others (such as Chambers) appear to be respectful and good sports.

mastermulti

Master
"I've seen the same thing with our man CLM. His black French teammates and others (such as Chambers) appear to be respectful and good sports".

that's because they are a training team together, no "I' in team, maybe no "colour" too.
I've a theory that when so many are packed into a relatively small country geographically they have to get on or be in constant friction. They often live cheek by jowel