2010 Commonwealth Games

mastermulti

Master
I have to tell you W/L, I've boycotted these Games.
Lots of reasons.....

*security / terrorism risk,

*the risk of Dengue fever and other debilitating illnesses such as malaria can wreck an athlete's chances of ever training at top level again and our team doctor actually said some of the team WILL get it.

*third grade competition in many cases (e.g. I don't get overjoyed at seeing the Aussie swimming team crush the team from Swaziland)

*the Commonwealth no longer relevant (Britain is a slave of the EEC now)

*the thieving bast*rds in positions of power there have syphoned off a lot of the funding to their personal accounts and left the poor people to pay off the debt (it will lose heaps of money as do most Games)

Well, enough of my ranting (cool blue waters, cool blue waters)....
and I hope Andy Turner does well!

mastermulti

Master
Disappointment here....
Sally Pearson won the Com Games 100 only to have it taken away when the English officials protested after Laura Turner's false start (she ran under protest) that Sally was also under the .10 allowable.
No such thing as sportsmanship now, it's all about winning.

Pearson fastest in Commonwealth

I must say Sally feared she had false started but re-focused and ran 11.28 with an uncustomary moderate (safe) start.
Laura didn't show the same cool head and finished stoned motherless lastEdited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I was very sorry to see Pearson get disqualified. You can clearly tell that her start gave her no advantage. She came from behind to win in the last 10 meters. If there is any justice, she will be given back her gold medal.

I was glad to see Aaaron Rouge Serrett run a 10.29 in the quarterfinals for the mens 100 meters. He hasn't run that fast since early this year. He got a very good start to with an excellent reaction time.

mastermulti

Master
yes, Aaron ran up to his best in the semi and final.

To be honest at this stage he is a 10.30 still wind sprinter. His 10.17 over here was near maximum allowable wind which equates to the above.

I hope he improves a couple of tenths in future, he's still only 22.
Anything can happen in the relay in a few days time.

Regards Sally: in this day of needing medals to get funding I can see why the Brits had to appeal. With all this money having been spent on sport with London coming up it must have been galling to see their top sprinters eclipsed by a hurdler from the colonies LOLEdited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer

Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (JNS)

THU
WORLD RECORD 9.58 Usain BOLT
JAM Berlin (GER) 16 AUG 2009
GAMES RECORD 9.88 Ato BOLDON
TRI Kuala Lumpur (MAS) 1998
Wind: +0.3m/s
Rank Bib Name Nat Date of Birth Lane Reaction Result
time
1516 CLARKE Lerone Ephraime JAM 12 JUN 1981 7 0.165 10.12
1285 LEWIS-FRANCIS Mark Anthony ENG 4 SEP 1982 8 0.148 10.20
1916 ARMSTRONG Aaron TRI 14 OCT 1977 5 0.158 10.24
1919 CALLENDER Emmanuel TRI 10 MAY 1984 4 0.196 10.25
1086 ROUGE-SERRET Aaron AUS 28 JAN 1988 9 0.180 10.30
1705 EMELEZIE Peter NGR 19 APR 1988 3 0.182 10.31
1163 EFFAH Sam CAN 29 DEC 1988 6 0.171 10.37

1507 BAILEY Oshane Andre JAM 8 SEP 1988 2 DNS

trackster

Mentor
On the whole, there's been nothing to see at these games. Virtually no interesting athletes attended, and for good reason. It's been a nightmare. Athletes are staying in accomodations without air conditioning in the stifling heat and humidity. The track was full of dangerous cracks right up until the start of the events. The pools are making the swimmers all sick. Heck, the website for the results has even changed every day. At first, it was about the least navigable thing imaginable. At any rate, it's almost entirely B and even D level athletes. Heck, there were plenty of guys in the 100 that ran over 11 in the heats. Too bad, but we'll just have to wait for the indoor meets now, unless something interesting happens in cross country.

j41181

Master
England gained a bronze medal in Sally Pearson's demise.
smiley21.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
mastermulti said:
Connaughton ran a 20.97 jogging the last 30 metres. I'm hoping he's in great shape and a medal chance
Connaughton ran a season best 20.60 to lead all qualifiers in the 2nd round.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Fabrice LaPierre wins the LJ - 8.30, with Greg Rutherford 2nd.
Sean Wroe takes a sliver in the 400m, only .02 behind the winner

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That was some jump by LaPierre. I have followed his career since he was a kid. A very big win for him and Australia. Greg Rutherford is going to have to decide whether to focus on the long jump or the 100 meters. His medal chances will always be better at the long jump but I'm very curious how fast he could run if he trains full time in the sprints. He is so gifted athletically!

It's great to see JayConn looking good this late in what has been a very dissapointing season for him. A gold medal for Canada would be very nice here heading into the winter. The good news is that if your going to have an off year, Jared picked a good year to do it with no olympics or world champs in 2010.

I'm also very happy for Andy Turner. He had the best year of his life as far as athletics go. I just hope he can hold his form for two more years heading into London as he is alot older now. Congrats to all of these great athletes!

white is right

Hall of Famer
white lightning said:
I was very sorry to see Pearson get disqualified. You can clearly tell that her start gave her no advantage. She came from behind to win in the last 10 meters. If there is any justice, she will be given back her gold medal.
<div> </div>
<div>I was glad to see Aaaron Rouge Serrett run a 10.29 in the quarterfinals for the mens 100 meters. He hasn't run that fast since early this year. He got a very good start to with an excellent reaction time.</div>
The silver by MLF might be a good sign for Craig Pickering. Like Pickering he was running mediocre 10.4 to 10.5 times over the last 2 seasons. This season he has gotten to 10.1X times and won 2 mid-major medals. Pickering being about 5 years younger could do something similar.

devans

Mentor
400M hurdles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzcC62-Eq7Q

Welsh runners take gold and bronze and sandwich a white South African in Silver.
Five of the first six over the line are white. A great exhibition of sprinting and hurdling.
Edited by: devans

trackster

Mentor
Nice find, Devans. I'm really interested in the 1500 tomorrow, so if you find a clip of it, please post.

Meanwhile, we occasionally feud here about the ubiquity of juicing by Jamaican sprinters. Here's a bit from a column today by British great Steve Cram. It's about a new kind of stimulant that the Jamaican (and apparently Nigerian and American) sprinters all use: (what follows is all Steve Cram's writing)(but one note by me: this drug sounds even more ideal for distance runners, so I'll be curious to see if they've started using it, too)

The drug Osayemi has been found to have been using,
methylhexaneamine, is the one that has been causing trouble in the last
18 months, and it has only recently gone on the banned list.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="231">
<t><tr>
<td width="5">
o.gif
</td>
<td ="sibStdQuote">

<div>

<div ="mva">

We need to keep battling away - finding the new products that people are taking
<br clear="all"> </div>

</div>

</td>
</tr>
</t></table>

It's a geranium extract which is fairly commonly used. The stimulant
is used by bodybuilders to help bring their core temperatures down so
they can pump more iron.

And I'm also told the New Zealand government is considering banning it because it is readily available as a party pill there.

Several
Jamaican sprinters tested positive for it and 11 Indian athletes from
different sports were also found to have been using it recently.

When
you are in a system, like the British one, you are told clearly not to
take anything without checking with a team physician or the governing
body.

But Osayemi is not working with her national federation -
as she is based in the United States - so she probably thought that, if
other people were taking it, it would be OK.

It could be easy to
point the finger at Nigeria because they don't yet have a national
anti-doping programme, but Osayemi should be subject to random testing
in the US.

white is right

Hall of Famer
trackster said:
Meanwhile, the Nigerian who was given Sally Pearson's gold has tested positive for a drug.  They're trying to pass it off with a toothache story.  God gosh, the tales these guilty athletes spin!http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/osayomi-fails-drug-test/
Shocking that a female athlete that looks like your average tranny stroller tested postive. What is shocking is that "she" tested positive for a stimulant.......
smiley2.gif
smiley11.gif

mastermulti

Master
This is a bit long (unless you're Aussie I guess) but it's a really nice clip that includes that smile of joy and relief as Sally gets a medal they can't take back

Great to see her friend Andrea Miller fight off a bad start for the bronze.

100 hurdle final

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thank you for posting this my good friend. Sally Pearson brings me so much joy every time I see her race. She is one of the classiest ladies in all of track and she can flat out fly. What a role model for young ladies all around the world. I hope she also inspires many more young Aussie Girls to take up track. She is a beauty on and off the track. Also a pleasant suprise to see Miller take the bronze. Viva Australia and New Zealand!

j41181

Master
So nice to see Sally Pearson win the hurdles gold, she just put Aussie track back on the map. Great 3rd finish also from New Zealand's Andrea Miller. Pearson is a classy person and a great role model for the next generation. Her time of 12.67 seconds is a new games record!
smiley32.gif

Best regards to both women and their nations!

trackster

Mentor
If you want more Sally Pearson, go back to the link from a few posts back of the Welsh guy winning the 400 and click to see the other videos put up by the same guy. He's also posted the 100m. The articles on the 100 fiasco were somewhat badly written and until seeing the video I had not realized what happened. Pearson and Laura Turner both false started once but that race was immediately stopped. They then reran the race. Both Pearson and Turner were allowed to participate. Neither false-started the second time around. It was a completely clean race which Pearson won. She simply outran the juiced Nigerian. Later, the judges ruled that she shouldn't have been allowed to participate in the second running, but, whatever, she still proved she was the fastest runner with a clean start. Just another reason the one-strike-and-you're-out false start rule sucks.