2009 World T&F Championships Recap

foobar75

Master
Well, the last day ended with blacks mostly winning everything, although it was good to see the fellow from Denmark winning men's Javelin, and I believe the winner of women's 1500m was from Spain.

Overall, I'm starting to become very distanced from T&F. I'm a huge fan, (behind football and basketball), and followed the competition very closely this year. But it's hard to miss the fact that virtually all of the running events are dominated by blacks and that's really what everyone cares about.Here's my breakdown based on Beijing '08 and now Berlin '09. This covers both men's and women's, and it's quite remarkable how similar it is for both. Someone with more T&F expertise can correct me if I miss anything.

Throws

Virtually dominated by whites, and nothing changed this year. Whites own the javelin, discuss, hammer, and shot put.

Decathlon/Pentathlon

This is another traditional white powerhouse. Some mixed athletes have also succeeded here over the years. This year, of course, Trey Hardee won the gold, and Jessica Ennis of GB won the Pentathlon. Almost all the other top finishers were white both for men and women.

Jumps

The Pole Vault and High Jump are two other areas dominated by whites, and again, this did not change in Berlin.

As for the long and triple jumps, this is more of a mixed bag. Whites are well represented here, they generally have high finishers, including medal winners, all the way up to gold. But overall, blacks seem to have a bit of an upper hand. In all honesty, I'm happy with this. If only whites could represent and compete the same way in the running events, all is well in my book.

And sadly, this is where it all ends for white athletes.

Sprints (100/200/400)

Total and complete domination by blacks (of West African descent). This includes Jamaicans, Americans, T&T, Bahamas, and at one point, Canadians and the British. Note that no one from a West African country has won anything, and therefore the emphasis is on those of West African ancestory.

I know some are more hopeful that there could be a white resurgence here, but if past and present is of any guide, I don't think the status quo will change. We might as well cut the losses and move on, and admit that drugs or not, blacks will always be faster in the sprints.

This is not much different than admitting that when it comes to absolute top end power and strengh, whites will always have the clear edge. (witness the WSM competition, for instance).

Personally, while I would like nothing better than to see a white 100/200m runner come and shake up the sprinting world, I'm not too hopeful. On a final note, it wasn't long ago that on the women's side, there was some strong white European participation in the sprints, but that has slowly gone away. The picture on the men's side has been bleak for as long as I can remember.

Middle and Long Distance (800/1500/3000/5K/10K)

These events used to have some solid white presence, but over the past 10-15 years, East African runners have completely taken over and re-written the books. Kenyans and Ethiopeans absolutely own these events now, and given their slim, 100lb physiques, we can't accuse them of taking steroids, either. So, my conclusion is, there is one thing they are really good at, and it's running those middle and long distances. It's really all they have, and they are very good at it. North Africans (Morocco and Algeria) used to have a very strong presence here as well, but not anymore.

You can bet on one thing, and that is we'll never see a Kenyan shotputter.
smiley36.gif

Similar to the sprinters, we might as well concede that East Africans have a lock on these distances, and not very likely to be broken anytime soon. I don't like it, and I'd like to see more white competition here, including some medal winners, not just finalists. But I respect the East Africans for how good they are. And to the best of my knowledge, no Kenyan or Ethiopean has ever busted for anything, so their wins appear to be clean.

Well, sorry for the long post. That's my overall assessment of the state of track & field currently. It's not all doom and gloom. Whites virtually own all the infield stuff, we just need to see some better competition out on the track.

mastermulti

Master
I think the fellow from Denmark would rather you called it Norway
smiley4.gif

We did have a lot of whites in the first 5 400m relay mens today. Arguably Wariner's was the most impressive split of the day, but the white Poms and Aussies did very well as did Belgium and Poland.

But yes, sadly, I don't entertain much hope for a white sprinter "resurgence". When someone like LeMaitre comes along I'll savour it though

devans

Mentor
foobar75 said:
Sprints (100/200/400)

Total and complete domination by blacks (of West African descent). This includes Jamaicans, Americans, T&T, Bahamas, and at one point, Canadians and the British. Note that no one from a West African country has won anything, and therefore the emphasis is on those of West African ancestory.

I know some are more hopeful that there could be a white resurgence here, but if past and present is of any guide, I don't think the status quo will change. We might as well cut the losses and move on, and admit that drugs or not, blacks will always be faster in the sprints.

This is not much different than admitting that when it comes to absolute top end power and strengh, whites will always have the clear edge. (witness the WSM competition, for instance).

Personally, while I would like nothing better than to see a white 100/200m runner come and shake up the sprinting world, I'm not too hopeful. On a final note, it wasn't long ago that on the women's side, there was some strong white European participation in the sprints, but that has slowly gone away. The picture on the men's side has been bleak for as long as I can remember.

I agree that the sprints were disappointing but it was not TOTAL domination by black athletes. A Russian woman took bronze in the 400M, and the Russians took bronze in the womens 400M relay. The womensworld400M hurdles record holder Yulia Pechonkina was injured and did not compete. In the mens 400M relay the winning team had one white athlete, the silver medal went to a team with two white athletes, and the bronze went to Australia. Also Belguim and Poland were 4th and 5th. The German women took bronze in the 4 x 100M relay. And of course Jeremey Wariner took Silver in the mens 400M (Gillick of Ireland 6th). Two white Europen runners made the womens 200M final and one in the Mens 200M. White runners also did well in the womens 100M hurdles. Finally a special mention for the pretty much unknown Dai Green from Wales who ran a new PB of 48.27 in the 400M hurdles to make the final.

freedom1

Mentor
We knew Bolt would double, but we didn't know he'd set such shocking records with such ease. More disturbing than his records is that he's not done yet. 9.4 in the 100? 18.9 in the 200? We know that drugs or not, his records are astounding.

We thought Lemaitre and Guliev would set new PBs. Lemaitre would've surely been pulled under 10.00 in the final to set a new junior record.

We thought Wariner would win the 400.

We thought Bayer would go over 29 in the long jump.

And when Lemaitre got DQ'd, we were still confident he'd break 10.00 before the year was out. Why not take a few runs at it before the year is out?

Next year is full of hope. It happened in heavyweight boxing (oh the years I suffered with that issue), so it can happen in track, but not yet.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
foobar, I don't know how long you've been following track, but even I know that without steroids, whites are more than competitive, we win! Just look at the junior sprints right now and look at all the sprints pre-1984. White men were competing at high levels and beating the best blacks that could be found. The steroid era, and the accompanying shift toward black sprinters (thanks to cultural Marxist, anti-white media and caste coaches) is what has hurt white sprinters so much. I will always contend that without steroids, and I'm pretty sure all blacks anywhere close to the top are taking them, that whites would not be just competitive, but would win some races.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Rebel is right. Jamaica has sent athletes to the Olympics for 60 years. Yes they had a dominant period just after WWII when they had the 1600 world record, but for the most part it has been individual greats like Quarry and decent teammates. Now Jamaica is growing sprinters out of the wood work. Just look at countries with more black people like Colombia, Brazil and Venezuela they did virtually nothing in these games. The Jamaican cheating will be exposed at some point and people will realize that was as bad as the East Germans, Soviets and Red Chinese.

mastermulti

Master
lost in the melee of the games is Kevin Borlee's 2nd leg of the 4 x 400 for Belgium.
Here's the link. He gets the baton in last place , is 5 metres in last at the 300 and fights back to 4th. A quick leg overshadowed by Wariner's great run

Borlee's 2ng legEdited by: mastermulti

mastermulti

Master
Hmmm! no wonder he looked fast. He was only behind Wariner and Merritt

World Championships Men's 4x400 Relay Splits
Jeremy Wariner USA 43.6
Lashawn Merritt USA 44.16
Kevin Borlée Belgium/Florida State 44.4
Jan Ciepiela Poland 44.67
Michael Bingham Great Britain & NI 44.7
Sean Wroe Australia 44.71
Kerron Clement USA 44.72