2009 San Jose State Spartans

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
SJSU had 6 white starters in 2006, 3 in 2007, and 6 in 2008. The lone bright spot on this team has been the incredible WR Kevin Jurovich. Look for him to have another great year. Offensive lineman John Konye will be the first white O-lineman to start for the Spartans since 2006.

Offense
QB Jordan La Secla-in a fight for the position
WR Kevin Jurovich
WR (H) Jordan Johnson or Josh Harrison-in a three way battle for the position
LT/LG John Konye-should start at one of the positions

Defense
LB Travis Jones

NorCal831

la selca will not be starting this season. kyle reed, the starter from last year will be returning for his senior season.

receiver will look like this
1. jurovich
2. marquis avery
3. jalal beauchman
after that its a combination of avila, johnson, and harrison. i would rank them in that order in terms of skill. harrison really isnt that great.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
NorCal831, thanks for the info. Knowing SDSU's adherence to the Caste System, you are probably right about Jordan not starting, but you never know what may happen in camp so I'll leave him in the mix for now.

The thing with the receivers is that SJSU regularly uses two WRs and an H-back. From what I've read, Beauchman has one spot all but locked up (with Avery as a backup), while Kevin Jurovich has the other locked up.
The H-back spot is a battle between Avila, Johnson, and Harrison. I accounted for this in the above post. I haven't seen Harrison play, so I can't say anything about his chances of grabbing the spot.

My main source (CFN) could be completely wrong (over five seasons it has proven to be very dependable) and you could be completely right. Only time will tell.

Again, thanks for the info. Its always nice to have some insider knowledge to go along with the books and websites!

NorCal831

yea no problem. i attend sjsu and my buddy actually records the practices. i also know and played with some guys on the team. they will be running a spread type offense this year. from what i have heard, avery has been an absolute beast out there on the practice field. he said that he is looking like he will definitely be the number 2 guy after jurovich. as far as the other receivers go, avila is by FAR the best athlete, but he is very small in both height and build. my friend told me that harrison just isnt really that good and that johnson looks much better. but with the type of offense we will be running, harrison and johnson should both see significant playing time this year, so sjsu will have 3 white recievers (and 1 other non black receiver in avila) seeing significant PT.

and while we are talking offense, i am expecting a big season from jurovich. the new quarterbacks coach (and de facto offensive coordinator) is terry malley. if you havent heard of him, he was the long time OC for the san jose sabercats. from what i hear he has the offense looking very good, so jurovich should put up some nice numbers.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope you are right about Kevin, NorCal. I'd really like to see him have a standout year, maybe top 25 in receiving yardage.

referendum

Mentor
Spartans coach Thome is retiring at the end of the year. While he seems like a pretty good guy from the radio interviews I've heard him on his recruiting has been abysmal and it irritates me no end that the four year school closest to my hometown is one of the worst to white players outside of the south. Hopefully the mostly or all black o-line will be a thing of the past, and there will be some more white Spartans on defense in the years ahead.

SoberWF

I'm going to my Alma Mater's (San Jose State) game this Saturday and I am not expecting much. Pretty disappointing year to say the least. SJSU has always highly leveraged the JC transfer athlete to fill its roster and has been successful doing so from time to time. Recently, howver, they have overly relied on supposed "athletic talent" instead of bringing in true football players. A D1 school can't continually support a losing record without threaening its D1 status. I am hopeful SJSU will see the light and recruit talented football players based on their proven performance and not any subjective label. Case in point, in the hometown I currently reside (Redding, CA; small northern California city), our local high school has a very talented running back graduating this year (Evan taylor, SHasta High School). He has shredded the competition his 4 years and has set the all-time rushing mark for the high school. He is a treat to watch- good speed, elusive, but tough and fights and falls forward for every yard. However, he is not a burner or overly big (approx. 5'11 195 lbs) so he has not been highly recruited. I think he is destined to go the JC route, and even then, I am sure he will be redirected to another position other than running back. Nevertheless, he is exactly the type of player I see a school like San Jose State to shoot for. How do we get schools like this to see the light?

NorCal831

very dissapointing year for SJSU for the offense and team overall. They simply couldnt recover from the murderous 3 game stretch of USC, Utah, and Stanford to start the season. lone highlights were harrison stepping his game up a little and Jurovich becomming SJSU's all time leading reciever. it will be interesting to see who will be hired to replace Tomey. I am hearing that the AD wants to completely clean house and hire a completely new staff for 2010. a good amount of non-black talent comes out of the san jose area. hopefully the new coach does a better job at bringing in this talent from his own backyard.